T

Trip to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore — Midwest Edition

avocado-laminate-counter-with-sinkMaking a trip to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore is something I try to do on a regular basis — you just never know what you might find. Being constantly on the look out for parts for my 1962 ranch — especially for my upcoming master bathroom remodel — the Restore is a good place to frequent. On this trip, there wasn’t anything for my bathroom remodel — but there were several photo-worthy pieces to share with the Retro Renovation community.

faucet-on-avocado-laminate-counterThis avocado laminate countertop and sink combo would be perfect for a late 60s or 70s bathroom. The faucet — with its teardrop/starburst design — was ubiquitous! In fact, the ReStore had a whole pile of these exact faucets for sale. I wonder if they were removed from an office building?

stainless-sink-with-drainboard-cornerSince we recently covered five ideas for stainless steel counter tops and drainboard sinks — this corner stainless steel sink/drainboard combination caught my eye. It might have been from a restaurant, but in the right kitchen, this could be a showpiece — and amazingly functional.

stainless-steel-sink-largeImagine my surprise when turning the corner and seeing yet another stainless steel drainboard sink combination. This particular sink was huge — nearly as tall as me (I’m 5′ 5″) — and must have been used in a kitchen island, maybe in a commercial installation. Note, it’s very similar to the wonderful oddity sink that was used in the Corbett House, except this ReStore version also has drainboards, super special.

chrome-soap-holders-retroThese chrome soap holders with plastic soap dish have been at the ReStore for the last five months or so. I’m surprised that they haven’t moved faster. New Old Stock — galore!

soap-holder-chromeShould I bring one home for my master bath remodel?

Azrock-linoleumThere weren’t many interesting tiles during this trip — however I did find a stash of Azrock vinyl tiles.

Azrock-linoleumThey were a light beige and would be perfect for a retro kitchen remodel, as long as you could get enough quantity.

mid-century-light-fixtureDown the lighting isle I went — to find a few more treasures — like these three mid century pendant lights. If only I had a split level house with a spot for these lights. I couldn’t tell if they were $10 each or $10 for the set — either way, what a steal.

vintage-pull-down-lightDown the next isle was this charming pull down kitchen light. I think the old owner must have painted it white, aqua and purple.

matching-vintage-lampsThere was also a matching flush light — with a matching paint job.

starburst-light-retroMy last find in the lighting department was this cute ceiling light with starbursts etched into the glass — again, a style that was ubiquitous back in the day. This light would be perfect for a small entryway.

retro-wood-chairsNext was the furniture section — one of my favorite parts of our local ReStore. I first came across a whole stack of these mid century wood and leather chairs. They were likely used in an office setting — but could be great dining chairs.

cosco-step-stool-retroThis cute little metal Cosco step stool cried out for a good cleaning and a new home — but I couldn’t think of a place to put it at my retro ranch — so I left it for the next shopper.

end-table-record-stand-retroAnother adorable find — this record stand — which could easily be used as an end table or bedroom nightstand. I really liked the door pulls too.

mid-century-end-tableThis end table would look right at home at my house — it just needs a good cleaning.

mid-century-end-table-with-flowered-drawerpaperWhen peeking into the drawer — another surprise — it was lined with flower power drawer paper. What a steal for only $15.

steelcase-office-chairThe only purchase of the day was a 1987 Steelcase office chair — mine for a mere $10. It is quite comfortable — though I don’t think it is adjustable and wish it were a few inches higher — even with that small caveat, its an upgrade in comfort and style from my previous office chair. Even when I come home empty handed or not with what I intended to buy, the Habitat for Humanity ReStore is never a disappointment.

What have you found at the ReStore lately?

1. Miked says:

Wow! I have been to our local one a few times and nothing. It’s probably a good thing because for $10 here and $10 there I would have a ton of stuff and nothing to do with it

2. Nate says:

Oh my gosh! An American of Martinsville end table for $15?!? Is there anything I could do to convince you to buy that and ship it to me? 😀

1. Jennifer Knighten says:

I picked up an American by Martinsville dresser at a yardsale last summer for $20. I didn’t know what it was – I thought someone had drawn on it with glitter paint or something. It needs refinished but I love it!

3. Wendy M. says:

My last find at our Habitat store was a Hallmack robe hook identical the other hardware in our bathrooms. I was so happy to find a perfect match!
    (I really like the wood and leather chairs you posted…I’m glad they’re not nearby, as I have a bit of a chair addiction! I’ve been told by my dear husband that he won’t exactly welcome any more additions to our collection. 🙂

4. Pat says:

I used to love the Habitat store, but the last few times I was there I noticed the prices are just horrendous. They want new prices for alot of stuff, I only visit them now when I happen to be in the neighborhood. It’s so sad, as just a few years ago I picked up my kitchen sink for a song.

1. Jay says:

The offerings at my local Restore are not good and the prices seem to be a little high for the quality. I think people may be turned off by the location and clientel. I think what they have in their favor is that they take the old furniture and cabinets and light fixtures that Goodwill and Salvation Army won’t take plus the Restore has a truck to come to the house. I try to give them donations but it is a bit of a trip compared to the Goodwill donation center just a few miles away where you sometimes have to wait for a parking spot.

1. Marty says:

That was my experience with our local one–seemed to be a lot of contractor or big box store overstock. Most of the furniture was office stuff from the past 10 or so years.

5. Lee in Florida says:

Wow, judging by the pics, you could put our whole re-store in that furniture section alone. Ours is pretty sad, and their focus is on books… no good furniture or lighting at all.

6. TappanTrailerTami says:

LOVE the big stainless island sink, way too great and looks very functional too.

Maybe you and Pam should send all of us readers out to our local Re-Stores on one particular week for a photo tour and do a weekend uploader of everything we find. We could tag our pictures with the ReStore location and price!

This was a very fun trip through yours, I’d love to see others as well.

7. Robin, NV says:

I just figured out where our Restore is locally – right next to my favorite fabric store. Bonus!! I guess I know where I’m going tomorrow on my day off . . .

I’d love to have one of the chrome soap dishes. The one in my tub is grungy and, oddly, dented. How do you dent a recessed soap dish?

1. Sarah g (roundhouse) says:

I know from experience on trying to remove some of those old chrome bath fixtures from a house that was to be torn down, that it is quite easy to dent them… : (
      I’ve learned that if you want to remove them you must go through the Sheetrock on the other side of the wall

2. 52PostNBeam says:

Most of these old chrome recessed thingies are chrome plated brass – an extremely soft and easy to dent metal. I had two recessed spinning toothbrush/soap holders shipped to me, the postal carrier tossed the box over my fence and the metal crushed like a tin can. I was able to get them banged back into shape though 🙂

I went to my ReStore yesterday – big ft zero, same as last time! I have scored at the ReStore many times, but one must be diligent in CA, the good stuff is few and far between.