8 places to find drop in stainless steel drainboard sinks

Drop-in-ss-drainboard-sinksIf you love the functionality of the classic farmhouse drainboard sink — but don’t necessarily want vintage or reproduction porcelain — perhaps a drop-in stainless steel drainboard sink is just the ticket. After searching far and wide — I’ve come up with seven places where you can find drop-in stainless steel drainboard sinks today — in a range of sizes, styles and prices sure to fit any kitchen and budget.

Note: We are not experts on manufacturing and materials specifications issues, so we did not try to try to assess these sinks for gauges / construction / durability. There could well be differences model-to-model, so if you are in the market, this is something you should/could research further. We do tend to believe that if your stainless steel drainboard sink is of good quality, it will last virtually forever. Regarding scratches and the like, we do not get in a tizzy when it comes to hard working surfaces like this. We quite like patina, actually.

#1 Elkay:

Elkay-drop-in-ss-drainboard-sink10-drop-in-drainboard-sinks-from-Elkay

We already know that Elkay makes stainless steel drainboard sinks — perfect for a mid century kitchen remodel — but they also make several drop in drainboard sinks — 10 different configurations by my count. These sinks are pricey, so make sure to save your pennies if you fall in love with one.

#2 Franke USA:

Franke-ss-drop-in-drainboard-sinkFranke sinks are made in the USA — always a plus — and this model (the only drainboard stainless steel sink I could find by the company) sells for right around $100 and is available at big box stores like Lowes, Home Depot and Menards.

#3 American Standard:

American-standard-drop-in-drainboard-sinkAmerican Standard also appears to only have one drop in stainless steel drainboard sink — the Culinaire top mount dual level sink & drain board. At just under $1,000 — it is pricey — especially if you were hoping for more sink bowl space.

#4 Fluid:

Fluid-SS-drop-in-drainboard-sinkThe Fluid Company has one very modern and streamlined stainless steel double bowl drainboard kitchen sink — available for about $800.

#5 Ikea:

Ikea-Boholmen-stainless-drop-in-drainboard-sinkThe Ikea Boholmen sink series — available in four configurations ranging from $85 – $202 — is as affordable as it is reversible — since there are no faucet holes, faucets must be placed in counter top or backsplash.

#6 Just Sinks:

steel kitchen drainboard sink In a Jan. 2019 update, I could no longer find Whittington sinks available, but I did discover this “new” entry — a dual-drainboard kitchen sink from Just Sinks. There are other designs as well — look at their commercial lineup.

#7 Kindred:

kindred-stainless-steel-drop-in-drainboard-sinkThere is also a modern looking stainless steel drop in sink model from Kindred sinks. I couldn’t find any pricing information — but if you are looking for a double bowl model with a sleek design — this sure fits the bill.

#8 Buy vintage:

stainless steel drainboard sink
Pam spotted this vintage sink at her local Re-Store just last week — it was $40.

We guesstimate that this style of sink has been around for decades — especially from Elkay. So if you want to save big bucks, keep your eyes peeled at the Restore Habitat for Humanity and maybe craigslist — you might find one at a small fraction of the retail price today. The photo above is Pam’s. She said that this sink seemed “pretty honkin’ heavy duty.” She could not easily see a label. It was priced at just $40. If you have a ReStore, and you have the time to stalk it, you can find amazing bargains.

Want a complete stainless steel counter top? See our story — 5 ways to do stainless steel counter tops.

And, we have a mega round up page — All about Farmhouse drainboard sinks.

CategoriesSinks
  1. Rebecca prichard says:

FYI:
    I have the IKEA Boholmen and you get what you pay for. It’s all scratched and looks kind of shitty all the time. I have to wipe the water off of it EVERY time or it looks bad.

Am I the only one who thinks the Elkay are so HUGE? The smallest is enormous for my kitchen and I don’t think I have a small house. I really want a sink with drainboard that fits where the IKEA one is.
    35 1/2 x 19 1/2 I am willing to spend a smaller fortune to have a good one that lasts forever. Can anyone help?

Thank you!

1. Rebecca prichard says:

Oh my lord. Swoon. Blanco has some SEXY sinks! But I am not finding drainboards. I don’t think I can live without one. They are so practical to me.

1. Rebecca prichard says:

Yes, thank you, but it’s WAY too big. I had the cupboards made around that crappy IKEA one. Anything bigger than 36″ cuts into my gorgeous drawers.

(We also want to replace the IKEA / Whirlpool fridge, speaking of IKEA.)

1. pam kueber says:

I am not an expert on the installation, but I don’t understand why something like this cannot go in your space. The drainboard sits on top of the substrate, doesn’t it? If so, it should not impede your drawers from functioning…

1. lynda says:

Old thread, I know. For some reason the entire hole is cut out for sink and drainboard. My drainboard goes over the dishwasher. Maybe it would not sit flat if it was not cut out? In fact the Elkay site tells you you need a sink cabinet as large as the cut out. I know that is not true. You need a sink cabinet to be big enough for the bowl(s} to fit.

1. Rebecca prichard says:

OMG, I am an idiot! That is true! 😉 And my idiocy is here on the internet for everyone to read! I will lose some of my “coffee station.” I have to think about it.

Make a sink?!?!

1. Rebecca prichard says:

It’s very cool, the Franke one, but I can’t see how a $100 one would be any better than IKEA.

1. Jen says:

I know this is an old post, but just wondered, Pam, what you think of the Oliveri sinks. We’ve been thinking about them, as our vintage St. Charles sink base is 40″ and the Oliveri would fit perfectly. But I wonder if they look “vintage enough” especially the 220-0 seen here: http://www.oliverisinks.com/us/brisbane-canberra.cfm

I like that one because it has a large, single bowl. Big enough for my larger pans. But I worry that the look won’t be right…

1. Jen says:

Thanks! Now DH wants to do one long (7 ft?) stainless steel countertop with integrated drainboard sink… He’d have stuck with the Oliveri if I hadn’t equivocated 🙂

1. June Cahill says:

I found ours about 14 years ago – right place at right time…..too bad it’s been discontinued as it’s been a super addition to our retro-remodeled kitchen!

2. June Cahill says:

When re-retro-modeling our kitchen, I just happened to find the American Standard (large, deep bowl, small bowl and drainboard) – on sale yet…….under $200. It was one of the very last items I needed – and couldn’t believe my luck as our ‘kitchen budget’ had just about been completed. We love it – the smaller middle section is perfect for stacking plates or a fry pan after they’ve been rinsed. And it looks pretty darn great in our 1963 ranch. I was shocked to see it was $1K!