V

Visit the Dymaxion House — Buckminster Fuller’s only remaining prototype from 1945

Dymaxion-House-
Photo courtesy of The Henry Ford.

historic-houseOf all the mid-century historic houses I’d like to visit, Buckminster Fuller’s Dymaxion House — which has been reassembled inside the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Mich. — is at the very top of my list. This is the only known prototype of Bucky’s dream home, envisioned as a solution to provide affordable housing to the masses after World War II. The Museum acquired the house in 1991 and over the next decade restored the priceless relic. The Dymaxion House — which was officially known as The Dymaxion Dwelling House — was opened to the public in 2001.

YOWZA! Old newsreel footage. I love the internet!

“Comprehensive, anticipatory design scientist”

Buckminster Fuller is such a fascinating person. He had to have been one of the most genius minds of the 20th century… According to his daughter, he identified himself as a “comprehensive, anticipatory design scientist.” He is most famous for working with the geodesic dome. He coined the term “spaceship Earth”… and the word “synergy.”

The CBS Sunday Morning segment above is an excellent introduction and includes great shots of the Dymaxion house — including in a proposed subdivision. What do you think, did we miss out? Would you like to live in Dynamaxion Village?

Dymaxion-House-1960
Dymaxion House circa 1960 in Wichita, Kansas. Photo courtesy of The Henry Ford.

Buckminster Fuller’s Dymaxion Dwelling Machine

The Museum says:

Conceived and designed in the late 1920’s but not actually built until 1945, the Dymaxion House was Fuller’s solution to the need for a mass-produced, affordable, easily transportable and environmentally efficient house. The word “Dymaxion” was coined by combining parts of three of Bucky’s favorite words: DY (dynamic), MAX (maximum), and ION (tension). The house used tension suspension from a central column or mast, sold for the price of a Cadillac, and could be shipped worldwide in its own metal tube. Toward the end of WW II, Fuller attempted to create a new industry for mass-producing Dymaxion Houses.

The story gets pretty fascinating. Fuller created a company to try and produce the house. But only two prototypes were made before the company collapsed over creative differences. An investor, William Graham, purchased the two prototypes and in 1948, incorporated at least one of them into a house he built for his family in Wichita, Kansas. The family lived in the house into the 1970s and in 1991, donated the Dymaxion to the Henry Ford Museum.

Dymaxion house
Photo courtesy of The Henry Ford.

The Dymaxion House was built of aluminum. Fuller chose this material because it was light to transport, strong enough to withstand a Kansas tornado, and because after World War II, there were aircraft manufacturing facilities with capacity to manufacture it.

The house was  “designed to be about 1,100 square feet or about the size of a small Cape Cod-style bungalow. It was supposed to cost about $6,500 in 1946.” The efficient and ingenious layout held “two bedrooms, foyer, living room, dining room, kitchen, kitchen storage, stainless steel fireplace, optional folding stairs to the balcony, accordion doors, O-Volving shelves, revolving shoe and clothes rack, tie and hat rack, and the Dymaxion bathroom.”

The Dymaxion House design at the Henry Ford was adapted from an earlier prototype designed in the 1920s. Watch the video from the Whitney Exhibit in 2008, and it appears that the original prototype had some distinct differences. Including that it would be delivered by zeppelin… which would first drop a bomb to create a crater-foundation!

Dymaxion-house
Photo courtesy of The Henry Ford.

Hey-Wake in the Bucky living room 🙂

mid century house museums

See The Dymaxion House on our epic list of 59 mid-century & modern historic house museums you can visit

“Everybody is an astronaut… You all live aboard a beautiful little spaceship — called Earth.” – Buckminster Fuller

Link love:

1. Robin, NV says:

I believe “a” and “an” are both acceptable. I’m a(n) historical archaeologist and those of us in my field have this debate all the time.

2. Ashly says:

While regionally, there may be some play with “a” and “an”, it is most common to use “a” in this instance, and especially when addressing a national audience. For those of us who do not drop our H’s (most of us), it looks sloppy to write “an”. /nitpicking

3. Robin, NV says:

Only 50 years of domes with O-volving shelves, bathrooms, aluminum construction, and the strength to survive tornados! Sure it’s a glorified yurt but what a yurt! 😉

4. anne says:

I have been to this exhibit and toured the home. If you happen to be in the Detroit Metro area, the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village are very much worth a visit. The Dymaxion is worth walking through, but my impression was something along the lines of “I would never want to live in this old, claustrophobia-inducing, dusty tin can.” Zero privacy, awkwardly shaped rooms. There is a reason that these homes, as well as his car, never caught on. They are duds that only a central planner enamored of his own genius, would love. Neat for a museum piece to illustrate the history of the mid century fetish for standardization, efficiency, and mass production. The opposite of a cozy and practical home.

5. vegebrarian says:

There is a novel that came out a few years ago called The House of Tomorrow by Peter Bognanni, about a teen and his grandmother who live in one of Fuller’s domes. I had a good time searching for photos of geodesic domes after I read it.

6. Ashly says:

Hey – it’s your website! If you’re comfortable with the uncommon usage of “an”, then by golly, go for it!

I assumed it was an oversight on the editor or graphic designer’s part. Most of us pronounce the “H” in historic and would say and write “a historic” (and a quick google search confirms this to be the case), but I can see how if you hail from an area that would pronounce historic as “istoric,” that you would not find the use of “an” to be strange. Since I am the only person who took issue (enough to say something, at least) with the “an”, I will move on and privately cringe when I see the images again in the future.

7. Janice says:

Whodda thought that something so forward looking and thinking would be in Wichita, Kansas where I happen to live?! How did I miss knowing this? I guess it was because I didn’t give a hoot about mid century design back then. Not sure I would want to live in this, but I do appreciate the creativity of this home and can imagine that it is much more energy efficient. Thanks for another educational read!

P.S. I know that Whodda isn’t a real word. 🙂

8. Robin, NV says:

Geez louise! I can assure you that it’s perfectly OK to write “an historic” with the “h” pronounced. It really has nothing to do with whether or not the “h” is silent. But if you want to get nitpicky, the “h” is not vocalized. From a phonetic perspective, it sits on the border of vowel and consonant – so in my opinion, it’s OK to use “a” or “an.” I’ve seen “an” used extensively in professional journals.

But what REALLY matters is that Pam and Kate came up with a super cool map!! Why are we arguing over grammar? Hugs Pam.

9. Nancy says:

deltechomes.com: The inspiration, terms and ideas for these homes come from none other than R. Buckminster Fuller. I’ve been presenting the Dymaxion House at Henry Ford Museum for over 10 years! Come experience this, and so much more at The Henry Ford (Museum, Greenfield Village, Ford Rouge Factory Tour).