V

Video: Kate’s “penultimate” pink bathroom tour

Kates-bathroomThe last time I checked in with an update on my pink bathroom remodel was just after I finished grouting the wall tile. With all the final details now coming together, there will be a bundle more stories to come — with all the nitty gritty details. But this week — since so much progress has occurred — Pam suggested I make a little video giving everyone the “penultimate” tour. Yes, Pam has expanded my vocabulary with this new-to-me word, which means “next to last” — as in, now it’s time to add the final perceptible particulars to put my pretty pink potty palace perfectly in place.

Can you believe — it has been six months since I started my bathroom remodel, with the demo? And, we checked the archive — my very first story, when this  project was a solid twinkle in my eye — was June 2012. Yikes. See how long it takes to make things happen in a thoughtfully planned Retro Renovation?

As the project progressed, I had to push my self-imposed goal end back repeatedly — three times altogether, ack! The first deadline — 4th of July — now seems like a ridiculously impossible one, and my second, though more realistic “done before my birthday” (end of September) was sadly also a pipe dream. Thankfully, with only some caulking, towel bar hanging, a few knobs to put on and a thorough post-construction clean left to complete, I have full conficence that I will meet my third deadline — done before family arrives for Thanksgiving dinner.

This remodel has been a long, hard road, but the satisfaction and excitement I feel now has made it all worth while. Next time you get an update from me — the bathroom will be DONE!

Read all the stories about my pink bathroom remodel here.

1. Angela says:

Yay, what a wonderful thing to watch first thing this morning! I’ve been checking your blog periodically for updates, and I’m happy that you’re *almost* done. It’s gorgeous, Kate!

2. Dave says:

Great job. But then again I wouldn’t expect anything less of you because I still remember your first kitchen remodel.

New vocabulary word: Antepenultimate – the one just before penultimate.

1. brad cabral says:

where did you get the floor tile from. I have a bathroom that has the very same floor tiles and am looking to replace a few of them. If you could tell me where to get some it would be greatly appreciated.

3. joyce says:

that was my bathroom and I matched the shower curtain to the beige/stone tiles in the floor. unfortunately, everything in the shower was rusting, so I have a new bathroom with mid-century sconces

4. Scott says:

Awesome choices and the craftsmanship is spectacular. The vanity is really quite a brilliant idea. Are the legs for style alone or are you cleverly hiding a wall vent under there too?

5. Pat in Pa says:

Great job, Kate! I am awed by your craftsmanship with the vanity, and I love that you used the legs on the vanity opposed to a kick plate. My favorite thing in the whole room is the horizontal slider medicine cabinet that doubles as a shelf, and the other favorites are the deep closet and of course, the heated flooring! By the way…do you hire out? 🙂

6. NancyNP1959 says:

There isn’t a way to comment on Pam’s toilet paper question from 2/28/2014, so I just wanted to let you know, Kate, that one more thing you did right on your bathroom was hang the toilet paper the smart way! Under Power!