V

Video: Kate’s “penultimate” pink bathroom tour

Kates-bathroomThe last time I checked in with an update on my pink bathroom remodel was just after I finished grouting the wall tile. With all the final details now coming together, there will be a bundle more stories to come — with all the nitty gritty details. But this week — since so much progress has occurred — Pam suggested I make a little video giving everyone the “penultimate” tour. Yes, Pam has expanded my vocabulary with this new-to-me word, which means “next to last” — as in, now it’s time to add the final perceptible particulars to put my pretty pink potty palace perfectly in place.

Can you believe — it has been six months since I started my bathroom remodel, with the demo? And, we checked the archive — my very first story, when this  project was a solid twinkle in my eye — was June 2012. Yikes. See how long it takes to make things happen in a thoughtfully planned Retro Renovation?

As the project progressed, I had to push my self-imposed goal end back repeatedly — three times altogether, ack! The first deadline — 4th of July — now seems like a ridiculously impossible one, and my second, though more realistic “done before my birthday” (end of September) was sadly also a pipe dream. Thankfully, with only some caulking, towel bar hanging, a few knobs to put on and a thorough post-construction clean left to complete, I have full conficence that I will meet my third deadline — done before family arrives for Thanksgiving dinner.

This remodel has been a long, hard road, but the satisfaction and excitement I feel now has made it all worth while. Next time you get an update from me — the bathroom will be DONE!

Read all the stories about my pink bathroom remodel here.

1. Kathie says:

Kate – your new bathroom is beautiful! I’m super impressed with the wood vanity that you built yourself. Installation of the hinges and full extension drawer slides would be tedious work, but you mastered the task! Super impressed.

1. Kate says:

Thanks Kathie — the hinges were actually not too hard to do! The drawer glides were a little tedious to install, but that was mostly because there are six drawers and it was a lot of repetition during the install.

2. xinzi says:

Kate, this is fantastic!

Excellent job putting it all together and, of course, excellent taste in dreaming the pink bathroom dream.

From one pink bathroom lover to another ~ X

3. Lynne says:

Kate, I am very impressed. You should be so proud of yourself!

Please refresh my memory on which exhaust fan you chose. I know you’ve only had a few days to test it out, but how is it working for you? Are you happy with the choice?
    We are going to have to replace ours in the very near future, and the choices are staggering.

4. tammyCA says:

Super job! You should be very proud of yourself. Can you come do my bathrm? We have no carpentry talent. I’m still waffling on making that final decision of choosing pink tile, or minty green, or both pink & green or yellow & green or yellow & aqua…hoping for that pastel vintage California pottery color scheme.
    Btw, I never want re-glazed sinks/tubs…a few weeks ago my dh put some drain-o in the sink to unclog and now we have a “lovely blue-ish tint halfway up it..along with some new chips!”…at least, we were already planning on getting rid of it.

5. John says:

Looks great! My parents house built in 1962 has the same floor tile pattern and one bathroom with the same mirror and metal cabinet above the sink.

6. Donna says:

Oh my gosh! You are so super talented! Beautiful and amazing job! The legs on the vanity are like the legs on the TV we had when I was small. Probably 1960.

I love the floor tile. You have done an awesome job. Can’t wait to see completion!

Way to go! Have a blessed holiday season! From your parents neighbors in Tennessee. Jim and Donna.

7. Andi says:

Kate, congratulations on that amazing bathroom! It is nothing short of fabulous, and while obviously sparkly and new, it still looks like it has always been there—a tribute to your talent with tiling and power tools, your research and selection of the perfect floor, walls, fixtures—-everything!

I LOVE it. What fun to show it off on Thanksgiving!! I’ll be very interested to see what you end up putting on the walls. Not paint vs wallpaper, but art, or “something,” as you mentioned.

Job more-than-well done!!!

1. Kate says:

Lucky for us, Leo is not one to get muddy. He actually really dislikes getting wet or dirty and tries to avoid it at all costs. If I am digging in the back yard, he avoids the freshly overturned dirt until it is covered with grass or dries out. Usually only his feet get muddy. If only I could get him to wear boots! 😉