Your votes are in: Congratulations to our “The Hard Way Award” winners for 2013: Above: Rebecca & Keith for their gut-remodel mid mod mad kitchen remodel….
… and above: Nanette & Jim for their built-from-scratch-in-the-empty-basement blue bathroom. To be sure, both of these projects delivered beautiful results. And they exemplify the heart and soul of the blog: Their respective owners spent a lot of time getting to know their homes…. then doing careful research and planning to create spaces that suited the original architecture of their house. And like the name of this award, their projects did not come easy. Specifying and creating a period style bathroom or kitchen is a lot tougher than buying what’s fashionable today. Way to go, Rebecca, Keith, Nanette and Jim for showing us how doing things The Hard Way can pay off. Our other finalists also were wonderful caretakers of their mid century homes, and with their projects showed other fabulous ways to renovate and decorate our homes –>>
Mid-Century Modern Kitchen Remodels
We had four other finalists in the kitchen remodel category:
- Ann’s World of Tile wonderful. Inspired by vintage steel kitchen cabinets seen on the blog, Ann recreated the look — but using wood instead.
- Chris’ GE Wonder Kitchen. Chris found a vintage GE Wonder Kitchen, refurbished it, and installed it in his Mies van der Rohe apartment.
- Catherine and Jonathan’s Vintage Geneva Kitchen. These two now enter the sphere of DIY royalty.
- Doug’s retro modern kitchen. Doug’s creative kitchen remodel channels Julia Child’s pot rack — sans pegboard in favor of mosaic tiles.
Mid-Century Modern Bathroom Remodels
We had two additional finalists in the bathroom category — be sure to check them out, they are full of ingenuity, tenacity and bang-for-the-buck, too:
- Sarah’s lavender lovely. My favorite part of this project: Her creative use of Miracle Method. Well. And the purple.
- Mike & Lindsey’s retro-modern revamp. I love how Mike has now become a public speaker defending the pink bathroom!
Thank you, all, and thanks to everyone who voted!