T

Timeless design toilet paper debate — over or under?

retro starburst toilet paper holderOoooooh, Kate just sent me a photo of her new, installed atomic starburst toilet paper holder — one of the last remaining stock from Rejuvenation’s current supplier. I thought it looked lovely but frankly, I found it very difficult to focus, as I was so OCD-alarmed that the toilet paper was hanging the wrong way. It needs to go OVER! Talk about a timeless design issue: What is your view on this  importante topic, dear readers? I invite you to vote and to comment, too.
results of toilet paper over or under poll
poll results of question should toilet paper hang over or under on roll

Categoriestoilets
  1. CarolK says:

I have cats ever since junior high and none of my kitties has ever attacked the toilet paper roll even though we hang our over. Of course, our cats will probably start now! I like it hanging over because the end of the paper is a little further from the floor.

2. benr says:

Under is the way to go for me. In my opinion, it looks neater and makes a better presentation. It’s also easier to take what you need from the roll using one hand.

3. Leslie says:

On a Oprah episode, Once Upon a Time, this debate was there and one of the big TP companies said “it is designed to go OVER”
    Thank Goodness because that is soooo OCD for me! (in my Pink and oddly blue bathroom)

4. vintagesister says:

it really doesn’t matter BUT as many of may recall, toilet paper used to have colored printed patterns on them…(tiny flowers, etc.) You would HAVE to put the roll going OUTWARDS not under, in order to see the pattern.

5. Gene Schmidt says:

Mine is attached to the vanity so I guess I have to say over. Well really placed vertical on the vanity counter above (over) the empty holder.

6. judy says:

Anyone who has ever raised a toddler or cared for one knows that toilet paper OVER is begging for a clogged toilet. Once they get that roll of toilet paper going, it’s hard to stop it. If you were 3 years old and have more toilet paper than you could ever hope to use, what would you do with it??? FLUSH it, of course.

7. Michelle says:

I slightly squish/ push into both sides of my tp roll creating an oval in the cardboard center, before putting the on the dispenser. The inner ” ridges “stop the roll from unraveling too quickly to stop overzealous, kids, cats and mostly everyone from being too overzealous. And I can keep my top over configuration.