4 cheery new barkcloth patterns in 8 color ways — coming in November

retro-inspired-barkclothFEBRUARY UDPATE: These were due in November, but then delayed. As of Feb. 5, it looks like they are finally in stores — my google search, “Jessica Jones time warp bark cloth” turned up several online retailers with yardage for sale. Looks like the pricing is about $17/yard.

Exciting news — come this November they’ll be a few more options of retro inspired barkcloth on the market. Designer Jessica Jones is releasing her ‘Time Warp’ collection –a selection of 4 different retro inspired patterns in eight color ways.

retro style barkclothPam and I instantly gravitated towards the ‘Sunburst’ and ‘Quadrant’ patterns because of their playful coloring and mod shapes. The fabrics — which are 54-55″ wide — will be available through Cloud9 Fabrics for $16.95 per yard.

retro style barkcloth

Fabric designer Jessica Jones on her inspiration for the collection:

This collection for Cloud9 Fabrics is called “Time Warp” since the retro-style prints are inspired by mid-century modern design. I love poking around vintage shops and looking at furnishings from decades past. Sunburst is a take on a Nelson clock, but made into a floral pattern. Quadrant was influenced by brutalist brass wall sculptures.

The patterns are printed on bark cloth, a textile used in the 1940s-1960s. It’s exciting to bring back that interesting texture and make it new again. The prints are simple and pleasing, and although this collection has roots in the 20th century, it’s also contemporary enough to be popular today.

retro style barkcloth retro style barkclothMega thanks to reader Julie for this wonderful tip!

And remember: Pinch pleats on traverse rods, peeples, pinch pleats on traverse rods! You can do it!

Link love:

1. pam kueber says:

no. Barkcloth is slubby and thick-ish, suitable for draperies. Oil cloth is shiny and thinner, suitable for tablecloths.

2. Robin, NV says:

Wow! This is perfect timing. I was just at the fabric store looking for material to make pinch pleats for my bedroom but couldn’t find anything I liked. Any one of these patterns and colorways would be perfect! I’ll definitely be ordering some.

3. Karin Jeffrey says:

Gosh, you certainly know how to make my day! I have been considering making some barkcloth pinch pleats and was collecting samples. All of them cost A LOT more than these beautiful fabrics.
    Thank you!

4. Laurie Louise says:

Of course. And in the meantime I can hope it’s suitable and as pretty in person (or swatch) as it is online. 🙂

5. Carrie says:

ooo-la-la. I am so getting one of the pink and grey patterns for my kitchen windows! Plenty of time to decide which pattern! Thanx for the heads up. (:

6. Randerson says:

Not sure if this barkcloth is appropriate for upholstery, but I do know that my Mom had a sofa slip-covered in a barkcloth of some kind, circa 1961-ish, in an Early American (think Liberty bells, coffee grinders, and eagles) pattern. Haven’t seen this kind of barkcloth shown, but EA was huge, at least here in the NorthEast, are there any examples around anywhere of that style?