Where to find door pin ball stud catch thingies for steel kitchen cabinet doors

catches-kitchen-cabinet-doorsOver the years, we have received many questions about where to get various fixit parts for steel kitchen cabinets. But with 70+ vintage brands out there, these questions are tough indeed — we’re really dependent on readers discovering and testing options. Today: Reader Shawn hit some pay dirt, and was able to find new door pin ballstud catches that he could use to close his wall cabinet doors snugly.

push-in-stemsShawn says these catches worked for both the Geneva and Youngstown cabinets that he is using in his project — and he has extras, if you need a few, too:

I found a solution for missing door pins/ballstud catches. I found that these work on Genevas and Youngstowns. Thread size 8/32. I have about 90 left. PM or Email me swolfe1@neo.rr.com. $1.00 ea or 12 for $10.00

These thingies are called “Lift the Dot” Stud catches — the company that makes them says they were originally developed to hold canvas tops on horse and buggy carriages in place! 

Shawn found them on ebay here.

I don’t know how Shawn got these into the doors themselves — presumably he was using pre-existing holes (replacing door pins that had been there before), so they cozied right in.

Push-in stem door / drawer bumpers, too:

Also — Shawn found a source for “push-in stem door/drawer bumpers” — those little rubber baby buggy bumper black dots on the inside of a kitchen cabinet door that let it rest gently against the metal cabinet box.

Update: Later, I also found rubber dot-fasteners here. In white, which is good, but shipping costs — you can compare with Shawn’s ebay source to determine your preferred option.


Thank you, Shawn!!

See all our stories about vintage steel cabinets here.


  1. john says:

    I am currently looking for the plastic part for the lift dot. I have 1850s farm house did not have a kitchen till 1970s. I found a whole kitchen of geneva cabinets. I found if you have the will power, sanding them and spraying with rustoleum hammer spray works well. Stands up to the kids and pets. Anybody finds a sight or a place to get the plastic square for the cabinets. I would like to know.

  2. pam kueber says:

    Hi John, we don’t have a known source for all the plastic part or its and bits, as we have identified so many brands and they used so many solutions. Note, readers, please be aware that there may be potential hazards in old products such as lead paint in the finishes of old cabinets — so before undertaking DIY projects on them, get with a properly licensed professional to assess what you are working with so you can make informed decisions how to handle. For more info see our Be Safe/Renovate Safe page.

  3. Joanne Slonim says:

    I am trying to purchase the pin ball stud catches mentioned in the above article by Shawn. Please e mail me with info as to how many are left. What is their price?
    Thank You

  4. Joyce says:

    Another part we sometimes need is the receiving end of the pin ball thingies. My Youngstown Cabinets were completely refurbished by a local powdercoating company (no problems with warping – yay!) and they found this solution for me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CD4MW6Q/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    They fit in the openings perfectly and do the job. Only caveat: They do have a plastic part in them which has broken in a couple of my doors, so word to the wise: Keep this page bookmarked and order a couple extra to have on hand!

Leave a Reply

Commenting: Information

All comments are moderated, generally within 24 hours. By using this website you are agreeing to the site's >> Terms of Service, << which include commenting policies, and our >> Privacy Notice. << Before participating, read them in full.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.