Remember Gabe and Amanda, who found a vintage blue heron screen door insert in sad shape on a house in their area, inquired about purchasing it from the owner and ultimately got it for free? Not everyone can be this lucky, but if you love the look of vintage style screen doors and want an easier solution, you’re in luck.
Updated 2021: I know of two manufacturers for this style of retro insert, with a variety of styles, including some that are close to Amanda and Gabe’s vintage blue heron.
1. PCA Products: Complete aluminum screen doors with insert
PCA Products shows a variety of insert designs. Pam sees other options — including a flamingo — on one of their retailer’s site.
The door/design can be oriented for either right- or left-hinge hanging.
- PCA Products vintage style aluminum screen doors
- Check PCA Products’ website for instructions to find a local dealer. Meanwhile, we found this one that shows a few additional designs, including the flamingo: Door Depot (PCA Products dealer) — shows a few additional designs
2. ScreenDoorGrilles on etsy.com
Update March 2021: I heard from this etsy seller — ScreenDoorGrilles — that they sell screen door inserts. The site says, “Every piece of our art is truly individually handcrafted. Each art piece, tree topper and screen door grille is cut, shaped, finished and/or powder coated (if applicable) by us, in our shop.”
There are a variety of styles.
Cynnamon’s grandparent’s door — displayed as art
Above: Ooooh, we couldn’t resist showing this gorgeous vintage screen door insert — adorned with a swirly tailed peacock. The door belonged to reader Cynnamon’s grandparents. She saved it, and now uses it at wall art — beautifully! Thanks, Cynnamon, for posting this on our Facebook page, and for giving us permission to archive it here.
- For mill-finish aluminum screen doors — 6 places to find mill finish screen doors
- For midcentury front entry doors — 14 places to find midcentury modern entry doors + DIY tips