G

Gabe and Amanda rescue and restore a beautiful vintage screen door

midcentury-screen-doorWe’ve all done it — admired something in a neighbor’s home and secretly wished they would sell it to us. Gutsy Gabe and Amanda, owners of a 1954 North Carolina time capsule house , had their eye on a nearby home’s vintage screen door for years before they inquired about buying it. Much to their delight, the owner gave it to them for free.

midcentury-screen-doorGabe writes:

I’ve passed this house my whole life but for the past few years I’ve longed to own that killer screen door! The house has been vacant for a couple years now so I stopped to ask the neighbors about the owner and told them I was interested in buying the decoration off the screen. They took my name number and I also left a note on the door as well.

midcentury-screen-door

Last month I finally received a phone call from the owner. She was so nice and said I could just come get it. She had acquired the property from her grandmother who is now in assisted living. They were planning to sell the house on the courthouse steps and wasn’t worried about a missing screen door. As a matter of fact she was delighted that we took interest in preserving it.

midcentury-screen-door

After getting it home and taking it apart from the old door frame, it needed quite a bit of TLC. My dad and I bent the pieces back into shape, fabricated a new cattail leaf to replace one that was missing.

midcentury-screen-door

Then we made a frame out of square metal tubing to help attach it to my door at home. We also made little mounting brackets to mount it by, and to hold the whole thing up off the glass.

midcentury-screen-door

Then it was sent off to be sandblasted and powder coated to match my door at home.

midcentury-screen-door

When I got it back I was amazed at the detail that was preserved under the decades of house paint and rust. Notice the feathers, beak and eye. Things were made so great back then (1920’s or 30’s) this thing is still a heavy and beautiful piece of decorative steel even after being in the elements all those years.

midcentury-screen-door

Next, I centered it up, and mounted it to our glass storm door using sheet metal screws. I think the little lady’s grandma would be proud of our repurposing her vintage screen door appliqué ! Now it may survive on for further generations to be appreciated!

midcentury-screen-door midcentury-screen-doorYou guys did a fantastic job refinishing the vintage screen door — and it looks wonderful on your house, too. Thanks so much for sharing your story with us. You’ve given me the guts to finally ask some of my neighbors about those midcentury bits I’ve been wondering about. Hopefully I have your kind of luck!

UPDATE: After this story went live, we heard from Linda, granddaughter of the woman who was the original owner of the vintage screen door that Gabe and Amanda refinished.

Linda writes:

OMG! my Grandmother’s screen door looks so beautiful, you did such a fantastic job. As a child,I always loved that door, unfortunately my Grandmother passed away and my 2 aunts had the house and as they aged so did the house. I’m so glad that you left that note and you preserved a part of my childhood. Indeed Ms. Lena would have been so glad that it found such a beautiful home. Enjoy!

1. Pam says:

My inlaws had this same screen door, and just the other day we were trying to figure out what happened to it. I have since been in search of one like it, so I googled it to see if I could find one. And your picture came up What a beautiful job you all did. Do you know where I might get my hands on one?

2. Shaernurse says:

Does anyone know where I could buy a screen door like this or near the design. Thank you

3. Robin Sawyer says:

I love your story of the screen door discovery and restoration. I have what appears to be the same insert. Are the scrolls iron and the rest steel? Thank you for sharing your story. You did a beautiful job on restoring your wonderful find!

4. Caro Pappas says:

Love this story! Its a BEAUTIFUL doornament –
    I always think about the previous owner to my house and hope she would approve of the ‘updates’ I have done to ‘her’ home.. while trying to keep with the era. Thanks for sharing!

5. Cara says:

I have this exact screen door insert. I was looking for information on it, to try to date it, & RR came up; of course I already subscribe, but this I missed!

I’m in S. FL and a duplex in my neighborhood had 2 of these. it was going to be torn down & I happened to know the demolition sale guy so bought both, but when he went to get them, someone had stolen one!

Mine came with the door where it fit perfectly in the frame. We almost always have the front door open, so the screen door shows. No glass, just copper screen. Our friend just stripped it and aircraft-primed it and I’ll paint it with metal paint to match the trim.

My friend thought 50s or 60s, but I think earlier. Any definitive knowledge on that?

Thanks!