Remember Emily & Drew’s charming 1940s style kitchen remodel? Well Emily has been at it again, building a second kitchen for their vintage home. This time, though — it was a child’s play kitchen upcycled from an old TV entertainment center — and it is quite possibly the cutest thing ever.
Emily mentioned that our first 1940s kitchen design mood board was among her inspirations. She paid close attention the details, including installing a faux marmoleum countertop with metal edging, real stove burners, oven knobs that turn, a tile backsplash, what-not shelves and even a chrome thermometer for the refrigerator. Emily spent four months on this project from start to finish, and predicts this play kitchen will likely become a family heirloom to be passed down throughout the generations.
Emily isn’t the first person to transform an old TV stand/cabinet into a play kitchen. This upcyling DIY trend has been gaining momentum on the internet over the last several years — resulting in many different variations of play kitchens created from cast off furniture. Because the old TV cabinets like the one Emily used are falling out of favor due to newer sleeker flat screened televisions that do not require cabinets to hide their bulk, these cast off cabinets are often found very cheaply or even for free on Craigslist and along the side of the road. If you have the ability to see potentials in these pieces, a little bit of creativity, some carefully chosen materials and time to put it all together, you too could make an adorable vintage style play kitchen for the weebit (or weebit at heart) in your life.
Congrats on a job well done, Emily, and thanks so much for sharing the results with us.
Read more about this transformation project over on Emily’s blog:
- You can read more about Emily’s project — and see more photos — over on her blog prairie loon.
Can’t get enough of the play kitchen cuteness? Check out the links below to other adorable DIY play kitchens:
- This red, white and turquoise vintage style play kitchen from Fresh Cut Flours (detail shown above) is adorable — I love the multi-color tile countertop and the addition of a phone around the corner.
- This aqua play kitchen from tinker has a Smeg refrigerator and a block random retro tile backsplash.
- This aqua and white play kitchen from Easy Peasy Pie has it’s own window over the sink.
- Here’s an adorable red and white DIY play kitchen from The Longs.
- The way the dishwasher was constructed on this handmade play kitchen from Exploring Domestically is brilliant!
- Here’s a cute light blue, white and hot pink play kitchen setup from Doubletake Decor.