vintage style pink kitchenStep one in creating a pleasing design and color combination for your kitchen: Find your pattern — and build from there. I spotted an adorable set of New Old Stock cafe curtains — and now I need a new house because I want to install this kitchen!

An in-the-pink kitchen:

pink-cafe-curtains

Thanks to ebay seller vintagechamber for permission to show photos of this lovely vintage find. Click here to get to the listing. Selected details (there are more with the listing) include:

• Three pair (six panels) of wonderful new old stock Mid-Century Modern cafe curtains.
  • A Donaldson’s paper price tag is pinned to one of the panels. The price was $3.99 a pair. Donaldson’s was once a popular department store in Minneapolis, but sadly, no longer exists.
  • Each panel is 32″ wide by 34″ long (measured from the top point where the rings attach).

pink-kitchen-curtains

• The print fabric is a fine quality, crisp polished cotton with a mid-century kitchen-themed print of coffee and tea pots, coffee grinders, cups and saucers, sugar bowls, spoons and forks.
  • The colors are pink, gray, tan, black, and white. The white areas have a slight pinkish hue because of the pink lining. The pink lining is also a fine quality, crisp cotton.

formica-boomerangLet’s pair it with: Formica Charcoal Boomerang Laminate… easy peasy!

neoflam-cookware

neoflam-cookware-greenAnd start accessorizing with pink cookware. Several readers spotted and sent me emails about this Neoflam cookware, which is available in two retro colors — a delicious Mamie-ish pink color and a 1960s-ish pistachio. The designs of the knobs on the lids are fun, too. Available on Amazon (affiliate link).

cafe curtains

This fabric is just so perfect — we love the subject  matter — but more importantly, the fact it contains several shades of gray, the additional shade of beige, and then, the accent color pink, makes it super versatile. This fabric would look great with white or pink cabinets — but I’d love to see it with warm wood cabinets — the blonder the better, to pick up on the beige in the fabric. Like… can you imagine these cafe curtains in this time capsule kitchen:

time capsule house

• See more of this time capsule kitchen from five years ago on the blog — earlier this year — yes, five years after we discovered it — it became a viral internet sensation!

CategoriesPink Kitchens
  1. Jennifer says:

The grey ellipse is beautiful. I got samples of “endless” in grey, but not the ellipse. I might have to order another sample! The red is also lovely.

2. Karin says:

Thank you for your reply, Pam. Backsplash sort of patterned. I was planning a new aqua glass mosaic backsplash tile called She’s a Star. While not authentically period, the colors look like beach glass-a great match to Holiday Turquoise, which is what my Youngstowns will be. Wallpaper-Aqua Atomic Doodle? Also, after five years of searching, I found 3 sheets of Aqua boomerang Formica. Turns out it’s still available in Canada through some wholesalers. Who knew?

3. oh Holland says:

Those cafe curtains are dynamite. (And, may as well change my name to Dinah, ’cause I just *mite* bid on ’em!) I have a small collection of tea towels with similar graphics, my favorites done by Lois Long (aka de Antonio.) This pattern could well be her work, if not Tammis Keefe’s or Virginia Zito’s. But I’m betting on my best gal, Lois.

4. Mary Elizabeth says:

Yes, wow! Canada has all kinds of things no longer carried in the U.S. Once I bought the nicest cabinet knobs in a hardware store in Nova Scotia. Perhaps we should think about searching there for pink potties. But I’m afraid shipping would be a bear, so one would have to take a trip there to make it practical.

5. Jeff says:

Oops! Wound up being the highest bidder on the curtains. Should match my pink and gray boomerang counters pretty well but that means the walls need to be painted! Update later on 😉

6. Maria says:

Oooh, I would’ve loved these. I’m on the hunt for new cafe curtains that will go with my 1959 pink appliances. These would match both the original appliances and oatmeal tile counter.

Hope you post pictures!

7. maria says:

I just found you!!!! I fell into a internet hole looking for barkcloth for a vintage rattan set I got (scored some at Full Swing before they closed) and here you are!

I’m trying to figure out how to update my original 1959 pink kitchen — and I think I’ve come to the right place. 🙂