Step one in creating a pleasing design and color combination for your kitchen: Find your pattern — and build from there. I spotted an adorable set of New Old Stock cafe curtains — and now I need a new house because I want to install this kitchen!
An in-the-pink kitchen:
Thanks to ebay seller vintagechamber for permission to show photos of this lovely vintage find. Click here to get to the listing. Selected details (there are more with the listing) include:
- Three pair (six panels) of wonderful new old stock Mid-Century Modern cafe curtains.
- A Donaldson’s paper price tag is pinned to one of the panels. The price was $3.99 a pair. Donaldson’s was once a popular department store in Minneapolis, but sadly, no longer exists.
- Each panel is 32″ wide by 34″ long (measured from the top point where the rings attach).
- The print fabric is a fine quality, crisp polished cotton with a mid-century kitchen-themed print of coffee and tea pots, coffee grinders, cups and saucers, sugar bowls, spoons and forks.
- The colors are pink, gray, tan, black, and white. The white areas have a slight pinkish hue because of the pink lining. The pink lining is also a fine quality, crisp cotton.
Let’s pair it with: Formica Charcoal Boomerang Laminate… easy peasy!
And start accessorizing with pink cookware. Several readers spotted and sent me emails about this Neoflam cookware, which is available in two retro colors — a delicious Mamie-ish pink color and a 1960s-ish pistachio. The designs of the knobs on the lids are fun, too. Available on Amazon (affiliate link).
This fabric is just so perfect — we love the subject matter — but more importantly, the fact it contains several shades of gray, the additional shade of beige, and then, the accent color pink, makes it super versatile. This fabric would look great with white or pink cabinets — but I’d love to see it with warm wood cabinets — the blonder the better, to pick up on the beige in the fabric. Like… can you imagine these cafe curtains in this time capsule kitchen:
- See more of this time capsule kitchen from five years ago on the blog — earlier this year — yes, five years after we discovered it — it became a viral internet sensation!