S

Schwinn’s 1968 Lemon Peeler Sting-Ray bike — limited reproduction now available

Schwinn Sting Ray bicycles! I had on, in purple. And if I didn’t have a bike already, I’d be jumping on this, literally: Schwinn has released the iconic Lemon Peeler in a very limited quantity – a run of 500 bikes. They are available only on Amazon — click here (affiliate link).

I asked Schwinn PR for a historical image and yippee, they sent me the ad above.

I spent years on my Schwinn Sting Ray. I am not kidding. Years.

More info from Schwinn:

The Lemon Peeler is part of the Sting-Ray family of bicycles. It’s one of the most popular and beloved bike designs for generations of Schwinn fans! It is very exciting as Schwinn fans will be able to own a piece of the brand’s history.

The Schwinn Sting-Ray rose to popularity in the 1960s, and became synonymous with the brand and childhood. The Lemon Peeler was the bright yellow favorite among kids. The new Lemon Peeler looks just like it’s 1960s cousin — equipped with a banana seat, fenders, and a coaster brake. This is the first time in almost 10 years that we’ve introduced a Sting-Ray.

The limited edition Lemon Peeler will feature a spring suspension fork, a Schwinn 16-inch front wheel and a 20-inch Sting-Ray Slik rear tire just like its original counterpart. Additionally, the bike is equipped with a striped banana seat, fenders and a coaster brake.

Each bike will come with a numbered certificate, and once they are gone, they are gone. The bikes will be available at amazon.com for a limited time for $349.99. (affiliate link)

The color is so vibrant, and it really evokes the history and nostalgia of Schwinn.

Oh happy, sunny day.

Categoriespostwar culture
  1. Eliza says:

Mine was purple too! We bought our older daughter one at a used bike sale years ago and she rode it until her knees started hitting her chin. It was a sad day when she got too big for it.

2. Stacy says:

They’re all gone already. 🙁 Awesome bike, though! I love the yellow color. As a kid, having a bike with a banana seat always seemed so much cooler.

3. Carolyn says:

Since we were all kids back in 1968, can anyone do the calculations in today’s dollars what the price would be? Gosh, $80+ feels really high end and you’d better have been a really good kid to get one for Christmas or birthday.
    With 6 kids, my parents cheaped out by getting the banana seat and ape-hangers and put them on the smallest bike we had (Lord only knows how old THAT was!) didn’t matter – it popped wheelies and skidded to a stop really cool! Add a “Sound of Power” and we were C-O-O-L!

1. Eliza says:

My parents always bought our big stuff, like bikes, at auctions. I’m sure I would never have had a banana seat purple bike if they hadn’t stumbled across it there.

4. Allison says:

Mine was a mid 60s Fair Lady Stingray, in metal-flake turquoise blue with a silver sparkle banana seat. I forget exactly what year I bought it.

It cost $67 at the Firestone Store, and I paid for it with a savings account withdrawal representing many years of birthday gifts, First Communion and Confirmation cash and sundry chore wages.

I rode that bike all through high school and delivered papers on it every day before school. Made 2 cents on a daily paper and a nickel for the big Sunday papers, and my earnings supported my crowd of high school friends. Bowling, pool, movies, gas for the times someone was able to borrow Dad’s car…

Those were better times for kids, I think.

1. Allison says:

$67 was an enormous sum to a kid from a poor family with a widowed mom.

It my first high finance decision; I’d had enough to buy a cheaper bike from Sears the year before, but decide to keep saving and get the Schwinn.

5. Linda says:

The Schwinn was too rich for my meager savings, but I did buy myself (with birthday money and dollars earned from weeding yards!) a Miss Buzz Bike from the Western Flyer store. I seem to remember paying $44 for it, a princely sum in 1967/8. It came with a white wicker basket with plastic flowers on the front, and was a beautiful metallic blue. Wow, the memories!

6. Carol says:

Ahhh, banana seats, no gears and real handlebars (no leaning all the way over to ride). I wish I could be a kid for a day!

7. SixtiesChic says:

The lemon peelers are gone : > ( however, there is still a girls 20 inch Schwinn”banana bike” very retro looking available also on amazon. But keep in mind..the original Schwinn company went bankrupt years ago and the name was sold to another company. The “new” bikes are made in China. Many that have purchased via Amazon have made comments to the questionable quality…. so buyer beware!

8. Dan says:

Yes, they were at least twice as expensive as a regular bike, which is probably why I never had one . Sigh. Oh well, I did get the pogo stick.