76 years of Kohler Triton bathroom faucets — introduced in 1941 and still going strong

Kohler Triton bathroom sink faucets have been around a long time. How long? I asked Kohler. They researched the topic and replied: Since 1941 — an amazing 76 years! And yes, Kohler Triton faucets are still around, for both four-inch- and eight-inch spreads and with a variety of handles to choose from. The thing is: You don’t see all of the Triton options on Kohler’s regular website — as is often the case for we Retro Renovators, you need to head to the commercial site.

Kohler also sent me some glamour shots of the Triton. The first photo — the black-and-white — is straight from a 1941 Kohler catalog, when the new line was introduced. The two pastel bathrooms above, including Triton fixtures, are from 1956. Yummy 1950s pastel bathrooms!

The Triton designs today don’t seem to be identical to the original Tritons — but I say: Close enough. See the original above: See how the base of the faucet looks like it has curves to it — the shapes of the current models appear to have changed over time.

Current Kohler Triton

Right now, there seem to be two Triton designs available for four-inch centersets — which is often we see on original wall-hung china sinks and drop-in cast iron sinks.

Triton #1  — Above: The “current” Kohler Triton base — and the lever handles to go with. I am spotlighting the lever handles because that’s what we see in the 1941 and 1956 catalogs. This is not to say there were not other handles available at the time. 

Today, there seem to be at least four handles to choose from: Lever, cross, knob, and ADA-compliant.


New Kohler Triton Bowe

Triton #2 — Above: The new Triton “Bowe” faucet. Ooooh, lookie those hex-curves on the faucet base and the escutcheons. I might like this one even better than today’s regular Triton, although I would prefer the straight lever handles if they could be switched to go onto the hex escutcheons.

Where to buy Kohler Triton faucets:

The new Kohler Triton Bowe: I can’t easily find it online, but I see that Kohler has a store locator on the product page. (Links below).

Amazon has the current basic Tritons in 4″ (I’m checking on difference between K-7401 and K-7404 and will add that info), 8″, and even shelf-back — (there are also matching tub and shower fixtures); of course, these are also widely available on other online sites and surely your local plumbing retailer:

Link love:



CategoriesFaucets Tubs
  1. Carolyn says:

    Laurie, The Great Wall of China! HA-HA! Since you’ve already gotten to Kohler, you may as well drive west 5 minutes to Sheboygan Falls, home of Bemis and check out THEIR wall of toilet seats that are made in conjunction with Kohler toilets.

  2. la573 says:

    I was wondering what those vertically-mounted faucets were called. I have one in one of my bathrooms with a 1950 pink wall-mounted sink, although the sink is by American Standard and the faucet is unlabeled but looks to me like Price Pfister.

  3. Jeanie says:

    Oh WOW! This couldn’t have come at a better time! I am restoring the ranch house that my Father built in 1964. I was having a hard time locating a sink that would fit in the space. At least two of the Cheviot’s will work! There is a show room not far from me where I can order them too. Totally made my day.

  4. Mary Elizabeth says:

    Heidi, you are absolutely clever to do this adjustment so you would have the right fit! Mad devotion to the retroreno cause.

  5. Mary Elizabeth says:

    Wish I had studied the old Kohler catalogs more carefully before choosing my bathroom faucet.

  6. Kathy says:

    I looked at the Trident for my bath update and the style is great, but it gets pricey, and you have to be really careful to order all the pieces, especially if you are doing a sink and a shower. As mentioned above, don’t forget the pop-up drain assembly, and get the right sort of shower drain as well.

    One thing to note, if you want to protect the user from scalding in a two or three handle shower, you have to add a pressure-balance valve between the controls and the shower head. Like a lot of plumbing fixtures I looked at, such controls are not built in most replacement fixtures. Such a valve runs about $100. Check with your plumber to make sure you get function and style.

Leave a Reply

Commenting: Information

All comments are moderated, generally within 24 hours. By using this website you are agreeing to the site's >> Terms of Service, << which include commenting policies, and our >> Privacy Notice. << Before participating, read them in full.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.