Starburst wall clocks — from Cracker Barrel — 25″ wide. Who’da thunk it? Who’da even thunk you could buy clocks from Cracker Barrel?

The Cracker Barrel-sold import seems to be knocked off from this design, roughly. Note: Links to ebay and amazon are affiliate links, I earn a wee commission if you click and buy anything.

I don’t know re: the quality. And, these are not true works of art like the Nelson clocks at Design Within Reach. But at $29.99… no muss no fuss, you got a fun clock.

You can also check Amazon for relatively inexpensive starburst clocks made today. I kinda like the look of the Umbra ribbon clock, shown right.

Alternatively: Stalk vintage Starburst clocks on ebay or locally.

Categoriesaccessories
  1. Leslie says:

Got mine this past weekend. Made pretty sturdy, numbers/face is a sticker but still looks pretty good for the price. My only annoyance is that the hands are gold so they blend in to the face background. I can never tell what time it is. I think if I simply paint them black it will give it the contrast it needs. I am happy with the purchase for the price point.

2. Connie says:

Thanks for heads up! One Cracker Barrel sold out, found mine at another location. Big 25” size-nice! The spokes are metal, not wood, gold balls front facade only. Replica not reproduction. But overall for the price it’s a nice MCM look for the wall.

3. DJ says:

My hubby bought me a vintage Starburst clock for Christmas! Of course, I had found it and emailed the picture and where to buy it to make it easier for him, as he had no idea how much I wanted one, but he went in and got it for me! And now I’ve threatened to line the wall up the stairs with nothing but Sunburst/Starburst clocks. Maybe I’ll start with one of these!

4. Wendellyn Plummer says:

Just saw your posting this morning. Went to the local Cracker Barrel and they were SOLD OUT!! Have name on waiting list as clerk said CB wants $12.00 S&H. Hoping to get one soon!

1. Wendellyn says:

Oh, thank you so much! I did not see that. I was told yesterday that it may be a month before they get any in their store. I will have one of these!!

5. KStacey says:

I ordered one online, they just hit the shelves this week! Reportedly they are made of steel and quite sturdy, although the arms may need a wee bit of tweaking to make the alignment perfect. And the numbers are just a circular sticker, just begging for a little DIY revamping. I’m looking forward to receiving mine and checking it out, a fun treat at the least!

6. Jean says:

Hi Pam,
    I have the real McCoy of this exact clock hanging on my wall, made by Elgin. It works like a charm still!
    Jean

7. Dave says:

Regarding the Cracker Barrel starburst clock, I wonder if the dimensions are pretty similar. I have a non-functioning original with a dead electric motor. It wouldn’t hurt my feelings at all to pay $29.95 to cannibalize the battery operated works and hands out of one of these new ones to get my original operating. Seems you can never find new quartz movements that your vintage clock’s hands will work with.

1. Allison says:

Dave, I feel your pain. I have a 1956 GE “snowflake” clock that currently has a new battery movement with new “wrong” hands.

I blame this on the overwhelming predominance of Chinese made goods on the clock market, because 10 or 12 years ago (when I sold vintage goods and antiques for a living) I replaced many a worn out electric motor with quartz movements, and never had an issue with the old hands fitting.

I’m fairly sure that if I ever break down and buy a a Cricut, it could be programed to cut these hands. Maybe I should go into the booming “obsolete clock hands” business.

1. Allison says:

The problem, Pam, is that the original hands don’t fit the new quartz movements; very different attachment holes.

Sure, you can buy something or other on Amazon or Clockitt that looks okay, and that’s exactly what you have to do now if you need to replace a defunct electric motor. That wasn’t the point.

1. Stephanie says:

Check your local library to see if they happen to have a Cricut or Silhouette Cameo you can borrow. Many libraries now have Maker Lab spaces or equipment and offer open lab hours to use their equipment.

2. Susan Halla says:

What I have done for my clocks is used a little hobby sheet of aluminum from Home Depot. Using some aluminum shears, I cut the right shape for my mid-century clock, painted them, then glued them directly to the cheap-o clock hands that came with the battery operating mechanism. Blamm-o! Awesome, realistic, mid-century-looking clock hands! (And I do have a Cricut – albeit an old one – and I don’t think it would cut material that thick.)

1. Allison says:

If the center hole is the right size and the height of the central post (that the hands attach to) is close to correct, then yes.

If you can find a cheap working thrift store clock for a buck or two, its worth trying. Or if you’re okay with taking off the face of the potential cannibal victim in the store and trying your original hands on the post before purchasing, this also works.

You can also look for a newer-but-still-vintage clock that uses a quartz movement with a big D battery, rather than the AAs used now. That could quite likely have a post that would accept the original hands of the clock you want to save. But again, you may need to experiment a bit before finding the right “guts”.

1. David in Marietta says:

I like the continuous sweep where the second hand moves constantly like an electric clock rather than “ticking” every second. When ever I need one of these I take a battery with me as usually those clocks in the thrift store have the battery taken out of them. Then I put the battery in to check its movement for operation.

Comments are closed.