T

Toothbrush holders — chrome metal, wall mount — for midcentury homes and where to to find them

Where to find retro metal toothbrush holders? I have two sources for Hall-Mack designs that were everywhere

Kimberly wrote this week to ask:

We recently bought a 1950 house and having a blast renovating it. Saving the kitchen for last because that is a huge undertaking. In the meantime we are looking for a source for metal wall mounted tooth brush holders for a bathroom. Any ideas?

Yes, here’s where to find these:

But then — you need toothbrushes that fit!

As reader Mary Elizabeth (and other readers) have pointed out:

Just a heads up for those who buy a NOS 1950s-1980s toothbrush holder–most modern toothbrushes don’t fit them. The more ergonomic toothbrushes have a fat handle that won’t go into the smaller holes. I ran into this in my 1980s camp trailer and my 1959 ranch house. You can, however, find old fashioned thin-handled toothbrushes that will fit. It just takes a bit of searching. I found some in the dollar store and also these on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2E9oT4l

And:

1. Elizabeth from Texas says:

My 1965 house has original white ceramic toothbrush holders (which I don’t use for toothbrushes). I have often wondered if the Retro Reno community had ideas for decorating them? Like somehow a flower sticking out of each hole? But I don’t know how to secure it. Maybe I should just buy the gaily colored toothbrushes and let them be a color coordinating decoration!

2. Mary Elizabeth says:

Just a heads up for those who buy a NOS 1950s-1980s toothbrush holder–most modern toothbrushes don’t fit them. The more ergonomic toothbrushes have a fat handle that won’t go into the smaller holes. I ran into this in my 1980s camp trailer and my 1959 ranch house. You can, however, find old fashioned thin-handled toothbrushes that will fit. It just takes a bit of searching. I found some in the dollar store and also these on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2E9oT4l

3. Dcgrl says:

We have our original toothbrush holder (1957). The one thing I would say is that they make toothbrushes bigger now and we have a hard time finding ones that will fit through the holes. 🙁

4. Joe Felice says:

When you have holders, you must keep them clean. I remember how yucky those were back in the day. I think that’s why they don’t put them in houses today. Well, that and the fact that modern toothbrushes don’t fit. I use mine to hold tweezers and scissors.

5. Thanks so much for this. I have an original ceramic toothbrush holder and have wanted to use it to hold TOOTHBRUSHES. It’s not just that today’s toothbrushes are too big to fit — they’e so ugly! Who decided they were going to look so garish, like children’s athletic shoes?

6. Mary Elizabeth says:

I agree! Look for the old fashioned ones in multiple colors to perk up your bathroom!

7. Amy Thompson says:

In a related quest, I have several vintage porcelain fixtures for toothbrushes and soap dishes etc that did not come with the metal clips needed to attach them to the wall. Does anyone have a source to buy replacements?

8. Jay says:

Sometimes the original straight handled “Reach” toothbrush is available in discount sores and often grocery stores have their own private label slim handled brushes. I just check to see where they are made – USA or China.

9. Carmen G. says:

We have Hallmack toothbrush holders in our 1954 house but two of them are missing the plastic insert (bottom tray). Any ideas where to buy replacements?