Y

Yes — or no — to the wicker headboard — on the ceiling ?

“Before”: A vintage wicker headboard, spotted at the Restore. I had an idea for it, for my tiki bar…

“After”: Repainted and turned into a canopy for my three Witco ladies.

The effect is not final… there will be lots more handing down from my ceilings over time… But what do you think?

The idea was to make these lovelies more of a focal point, all the more go given they are sitting in a dead spot behind the sectional.

retro mod decor
Photo courtesy of Everett Short Photography.

Above: My attention to wicker headboards was reignited a few years ago, when I featured this bedroom designed by Ben Sander. DREAMY!

I repainted my Restore find ($25) up with brown spray paint immediately hit with hammered copper spray paint, and once dry, then some English Chestnut stain. I wanted some color dimension up there.

To hang it, I first tried with the legs. But that looked … even more like a headboard. So I hacksawed off the legs then hit the wicker with some hot glue so it wouldn’t unravel. To hang it, I put cup holder hardware in the ceiling then wired the the thing up there with floral wire; it’s really quite lightweight. I’m thinking I also may stuff some twinkle lights up there.

I know that 1970s Victorian-revival wicker headboards are not tiki. But, I’m all about mashing it all up, especially when Restore finds present themselves.

Finishing all the details in the Mahalo Lounge is goin’ slowwwwwwww. And now it’s summer. Gulp.

Categoriestiki and bars
  1. Diane Miller says:

From a distance it looks like a dark smudge on the ceiling. Photo from below makes me think of antique stores with too much crammed in. I get the vision, but think lighting would highlight the artwork better.

2. Kim Domingue says:

Agreed. It’s not centered on the ceiling beams. That would drive me insane in no time flat, lol! I definitely think uplights or downlights would more effectively highlight the “ladies” more effectively. More can be good but sometimes more is simply too much and takes away from the thing you really want to highlight.

3. Carol says:

You have stayed true to the concept until now…don’t deviate from the authenticity you have worked so hard to create. This detracts from your lovely ceiling and isn’t big enough to span that whole section.

4. Mary Beth says:

I think the headboard is a transition moment … you had to try your idea out, live with it and ask all of us to weigh in! I agree that it doesn’t do enough for the girls and detracts from the glorious ceilings. I would spec some serious ‘art’ lighting – pinpoint halogen to put a glow on the girls. Since you are committed to hanging more ceiling stuff – I’d go for colored glass – orbs and the like that the the ‘art’ lighting can play off of. ps. the headboard will find its place – some day – it’s a great find.

5. Erica says:

I think it’s a neat idea that doesn’t quite transfer in reality. You worked so hard on your ceiling, and it’s really beautiful, so why would you want the headboard to compete with it? I say try it somewhere else. It just doesn’t really add to the ladies and takes away from the ceiling.

6. Anita says:

The three ladies are off center of the ceiling beams b/c of the long countertop to the right, so they work just fine, but when you place the wicker headboard directly above them it is very noticeable how off center the headboard is. Without the headboard their placement is fine, however the off center placement of the headboard would bug the heck out of me.

7. Diane in CO says:

No. Stop cluttering, LOL! Has there ever been a “big reveal” of The Mahalo Lounge and I missed it? Stop already! That ceiling is fantastic and nothing should cover it. Just my opinion……..

8. Marta says:

I have been following this post and I think the audience is leaning against the idea of the headboard in the ceiling, as I do. I love the headboard, the painting job makes it stand out. I looked at wicker headboards in etsy, they are in the range of $200 to 400, so you should keep it somehow. I think it could be the back of a low bench, with a lot of tropical fabric pillows in it. I think it would go it the tiki ambience. I also think it could go in a bar, like someone suggested, in front of a mirror. Just some ideas, what I would really love is to be the owner of the ladies!

9. linoleummy says:

Amid the whole treatment you install with it someday Mahalo Lounge guests will look up and it will catch an eye and the person will think “That looks so cool!” But the familiarity of it that can’t be placed because it’s out of it’s element would stick in one’s mind until it might occur to them later “a headboard!? What a cool thing to do with it!”