Metal counter edges — 6 places to buy them + more tips

metal counter edges where to buyWhere to find metal counter edges for retro kitchens — countertop edging in steel, aluminum and even faux laminate edging? I have made a new, consolidated research / resource page. My complete page includes:

    • Where to find and buy metal counter edge
    • Examples from reader kitchens
    • My video showing my own countertops and how they were done
    • Historical research showing us how laminate countertops were edged, back in the day.

Check out all my research here >> 6 places to find countertop edges in steel and aluminum metal + examples and tips from actual midcentury kitchens

Note, this post has been updated from its original publish date in February 2011 to include updated and better organized information.

  1. Joe Felice says:

    I recall always getting snagged on the screw heads, especially when wiping down the counter tops. Little strings from the dish cloth would get stuck on the screw heads.

  2. paula gremley says:

    I have a 1953 Crane Kitchen Queen Kitchen. The aluminum edging on the little window shelves is popping off and it is bugging me. I search the site and can’t find anything addressing how to repair edging. I think I could squirt some glue in there but can’t imagine how I can clamp it. I suppose I could use duct tape to hold the trim until the glue sets.

    If anyone has done this? Any suggestion welcome.


  3. For renovation shoppers in Oregon, we stock 12′ length of retro metal edging for countertops. This is a fluted aluminum edge, 1 1/4″ wide, with a tee. $38.00 for 12′ lengths.
    Lansing Linoleum Co., Inc.
    7307 SE Foster Rd.
    Portland, OR 97206

  4. Cille Coleman says:

    I, too, am looking for the rubber insert. Our kitchen is from 1955 and the insert is 1/2″ wide and 1/16″ thick. It is grey–about the same color as the aluminum edge it fits into. Someone please help if you know of a source. We have been looking for some years now with no luck.

  5. paula gremley says:

    Thanks! Is there a link with a picture?

    Also, those with metal cabinets google metal spice tins. I have herbs stored in these on the inside of a cabinet door near the stove.

  6. Donna says:

    My sister’s and I just re did the kitchen in the house we grew up in, and we got the edging, trim and mouldings from Outwater Plastics. We put linoleum on the counter tops. We wear going to use Marmoleum but Armstrong makes the same thing, and it isn’t as pricey. We also used VCT tiles on the floor. I wish I could upload a photo, but I don’t see how you can do that here.

  7. Joe Felice says:

    Yes. T-nosing/trim can. The trick is in the installation. If you don’t know how to do it, you should hire a professional, as I did. The trim has to have the baking cut in order to bend it around curves, such as on the corners of my dining table and on my breakfast bar. I also installed the cove molding along the wall where it meets the counter, but I do not think that could be bent more than a few degrees. Since I had a 90-degree corner, I just used my cheap-o miter box to cut the two end at 45 degrees, and the fit perfectly.

  8. Ro Mayer says:

    I have a Herman Miller Eames designed pedestal breakfast room size table.I gave it to my daughter who used it outside. The table top is made of wood fiber which swelled.That made the table edging pop off. I tried to reattach it. But the swelling has made the table circumference increase enough that the original edging is no longer big enough to meet by an inch or more. Otherwise the table is still functional. I was looking around the net for edging options and came across your site with its counter edging suggestions and retro furniture add links. I thought you might be able to suggest some options. Thank you.

  9. James Kunc says:

    I am looking to buy silver metal nose trim for counter tops and cabinets and can’t locate. Any help would be appreciated. James Kunc

  10. pam kueber says:

    James, try our sources in this story — you need to look at the story, note the vendors and reach out to them directly. Good luck.

  11. AJ says:

    I can’t to seem to find any fluted edging that has gaps in the teeth so that it will go around a round table or curved surface. Any suggestions?

  12. Lisa says:

    I am getting ready to put in a red countertop for our 40’s/50’s kitchen, probably the Wilsonart Pomegranate wavy laminate you featured in another story here. As I have been pouring through the archives I went to the Outwater Plastics Industries, Inc. someone mentioned in the comments above. I discovered an option for a “no notch aluminum tee molding.” It says this new technology allows you to go around curves without having to cut notches in the tee part. I have been agonizing about these metal edgings for a few years. I would love to know if anyone has used these new “no notch” tee mouldings. Because we will be doing this “the hard way” without contractors, I need this installation to be as simple as possible. Don’t know if this is the right place to ask this question so if it isn’t, please feel free, Pam, to move it to the proper place. The husband said I can order the laminate in March so I am looking forward to pinning down this metal edging.

    Thanks soooooo much for the inspiration and resources this site provides. I am embarrassed to say how much time I spend on this site Every. Single. Day.

Leave a Reply

Commenting: Information

All comments are moderated, generally within 24 hours. By using this website you are agreeing to the site's >> Terms of Service, << which include commenting policies, and our >> Privacy Notice. << Before participating, read them in full.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.