S

Stacy celebrates the “avocado goodness” in her 1968 ranch house kitchen

mid century kitchen
All hail the color avocado for kitchens!  After seeing my recent stories on the color avocado used in kitchens, Stacy emailed with photos of her 1968 kitchen, where she has wholeheartedly embraced the avocado.

She writes:

Thanks for the latest stories on avocado! I wanted to share all the avocado goodness I have going on in my 1968 ranch.

avocado kitchen sink

The sink is original.

avocado wallpaper in a midcentury kitchen

The wallpaper was a $1 thrift store find that brought just the right about of kitschy 60s/70s that was missing from my mostly original kitchen.

Thanks for all you do to keep the vintage vibes flowing!

Sincerely, Stacy:)

avocado kitchen canisters and avocado kitchen wallpaperAh! That wallpaper is CLASSIC. I’m gonna guess: 25 million rolls of wallpaper in this style — early American illustrations of kitchen imagery on a faux brick field — sold throughout America.

1960s wallpaper brick wall with chickens
Hannah’s Treasures has numerous patterns of this ilk on their website right now.

This style wallpaper was everywhere!

And I must say: Doesn’t the wallpaper, and the avocado color in general, look great with those blonde-ish kitchen cabinets? I also LOVE the planked (or faux planked, as it appears in this kitchen) kitchen cabinet doors. The planked look doors and drawer fronts break of the boxy mass vs. slab doors. Of course, I’m not dissing slab doors, love them too, have them myself. Just… plank door fronts are another alternative to think about if you’re planning a makeover — or, to be happy to have, if you have them already!

Thank you, Stacy — for sharing your avocado goodness. And p.s. readers: Stacy’s before-and-after basement laundry room makeover (with, you guessed it, more avocado) coming next!

1. RAnderson says:

Pam – thanks!
    Stacy – a good place to keep an eye out for avocado appliances is at the http://www.automaticwasher.org website for all vintage appliances, Pam has mentioned it here a number of times. Just go to “Shoppers Square” and you can even post a “want ad” for what you’re looking for. The good news is that avocado was very popular back then but not so much now so they are often priced very low nowadays!

2. Marya says:

Stacy, you’re an inspiration! We just acquired an entire kitchen’s worth of avocado appliances from facebook, as a family was renovating: wall oven, sink, and cooktop, all for a song. They are in the shed under a tarp until we can afford the remodel. We have beautiful golden birch plywood cabinets, and this kitchen color scheme is very appealing to me!

One question- where did you get the flooring, or is it original?

3. Stacy says:

@RAnderson. Thank you! Yes , I am very familiar with automatic washer It’s a wonderful resource. I have been a fan for many years. Unfortunately, my husband is not a fan of vintage appliances. So they are not an option for me in the kitchen. But. Maybe they will continue to come out with retro colors on new appliances. 🙏🏼🙂

4. Stacy says:

@Marya. Thank you so much! That sounds like an amazing score! Congratulations. You cabinets sound lovely. Hope we get to see your avocado goodness one day!

And the floor was there when we moved in. Our house was a one owner and I think the current floor was put in by them in the 90s or so. I have seen that there is vintage avocado colored vinyl underneath. But have no idea what condition it is in. I am fine with what is there though. It still fits the style and is easy to keep up. But if Armstrong ever rereleases the green tone brick … 🙂

5. Gretchen Fucio says:

All the great accessories- pyrex, dustpan, canisters, phone, gorgeous light fixture, even the tea towel! That attention to detail makes this kitchen stunning!

6. CarolK says:

@LSolt8084, I love those curtains as well, I’ve been looking for something similiar and have had little luck. I think I’m going to have them made.

7. Becky says:

LOVE this kitchen! We have a very similar avocado double sink in our ranch, built in 1970. We purchased it a little over a year ago and are only the second owners! Our master bath sink and fiberglass tub/shower surround are also avocado. <3

8. Stacy says:

@Gretchen Fucio
    @LSolt8084
    Thank you so much! The light fixture was a ReStore find for a whopping $7. It had faded a bit so I repainted the copper. I honestly don’t find much at our Restore but when I do , it’s usually something good.
    My curtains were also thrifted years ago for $3. 🙂

9. Stacy says:

@Becky. Thank you! My husband and I are only the second owners of our house as well.
    I am envious of your avocado bathroom! I would love to have one.
    I can’t complain too much though because I got a turquoise one and a lavender one. 😉

10. Zoe says:

Love all the avocado and the retro vibe! So homey.

My kitchen still has its original 1940s board and batten cabinets and I ❤️ them. They were painted lemon yellow in the 1960s but have been one shade of white or another since then. I’m thinking about repainting them in a shade of yellow… but painting them is SOOO time-consuming, I don’t want to start until I’m sure I’m on the right path! Meanwhile, I’ll enjoy other people’s colorful kitchens 😊