61 Mamie Pink Kitchens: Let’s start with 10 from the big name brands – St. Charles, GE, American-Standard, Crane, Formica and more

This week it’s pink postwar kitchens of every style – from the 40s through to the 60s. Be sure to check in every day, today through Saturday for a festival of Mamie pink!

To start – let’s head right to 1957, the absolute pinnacle year for pink pink pink!

#1: 1957 GE pink kitchen and look at that all-new Refrigeration Center!:

1957-ge-kitchen-refrigeration-center-cropped.jpg

#2, a 1955 Crane kitchen in Blossom Pink:

1955-crane-blossom-pink406-cropped.jpg

#3, a 1953 pink Formica kitchen (which we have analyzed before):

1953-pink-formica-kitchen214.jpg

#4, 1956 Westinghouse appliances including the cool wall refrigeration unit — with a pink kitchen:

1956-westinghouse-2.jpg

#5, a 1949 American-Standard kitchen — cabinets that foreshadow the frenzy to come:

1949-american-standard-pink-kitchen-cropped.jpg

#6, very pixelated, but I wanted to show this early pink St. Charles kitchen as well:

st-charles-89.jpg

#7, a few years later now in the heart of the Mamie years, a 1955 St. Charles pink kitchen:

1955-st-charles-one428.jpg

#8, yes, I’ve been dreaming of a 1956 Westinghouse pink kitchen:

1956-westinghouse-1.jpg

#9, an early- to mid-50s Geneva Blossom Pink kitchen with the classic accent color, red:

early-50s-geneva-blossom-pink313.jpg

And number 10 for today: This gorgeous 1958 GE pink kitchen, which incorporates wood and 60s groove:

1958-pink-ge-kitchen409-cropped.jpg

Comments

1. maddy123 says

The “refrigeration center” is wild!

I’m not big into pink, but loved all the photos of pink kitchens. Wow!

2. Mama Brook says

Dear Pam,

I love you, I love you, I love you! ‘Mamie Pink’ is by far my favorite color, and a pink kitchen (with red and white accents) is what I aspire too! Thank you for giving something to look forward to this week!!!
    Keep up the great blogging doll!!!!

xoxo Mama Brook

3. Julie says

Hi Pam,
    you have a fantastic blog, and I just love it! Today’s post on the
    pink kitchens is absolutely delightful, as a pink kitchen is my dream
    kitchen! I wanted to point out that the tea kettle on the cooktop in
    kitchen number 9 is still available. It wasn’t designed mid
    century, but obviously it still would be authentic! I was tickled to
    see it, as I have the same one. In case anyone might be interested, it’s a chrome over copper kettle made by Simplex in England.
    They’ve made them since the beginning of the 20th century and still
    are.

4. Amy says

Love it, Love it, Love it…. My boyfriend allowed me to do the bedroom in pink, but the kitchen…. It’ll just have to be a figment of my imagination.

The refrigerator center is the first time I have ever seen anything close to what my mom had in our home in Illinois. I try to explain that it was a turquoise colored fridge that was like upper cabinets, but no one had ever seen that before…. Oh, the memories…

Pam, Thanks so much for letting me know about your pink kitchen post. I adore all of those old fittings and appliances! I will be back to visit you often! Peta xx

6. Sara says

That has to be the “coolest” refrigerator ever in kitchen #1! I like the early American decor of the dining area in the background too.

7. Joe says

I just bought a pink Geneva kitchen…….look for a post soon about the demo of the current kitchen and install of the Geneva………and I’ve got a little surprise in terms of the oven too 😉

8. Joe says

Pam,
    I’m in South Jersey. And there will be plenty of pics as my fiance and I are both avid photographers. 🙂 Now I’m on the hunt for a fridge (new that matches the theme) and some pendant lights for above the sink.

9. Joe says

“Joe,
    I’m sure you’ve seen the fridge-favorites on the kitchen page but just in case:”

I’m actually the one who put a bounty out for someone to track down US distribution of the Gorenje. It’s just as stylish as the SMEG but not nearly as expensive. If you do a yahoo image search for “retro fridges” one of the 1st pics that comes up is of an appliance store in NYC. Out from is a SMEG next to a Gorenje. I called the store, based on the neon light in the window, and the woman basically told me I was crazy.

10. Kathy says

My birch plywood kitchen cabinets are accented with Mamie pink 4″ backsplash and matching sink with Hudee Ring. I think all pink kitchens were featured more in ads than in reality, but the pink backsplash was certainly an affordable compromise without going too overboard. Unfortunately the kitchen sink is almost history with rust and overscrubbing over the past 50 plus years. It matches the adjacent powder room in my 1890s house remodeled into a bungalow in the 1920s, and updated circa 1962.