Great retro pull down lights for your kitchen, from Progress vintage 1961

I am very excited about my latest vintage marketing material – a large catalog from Progress lighting dated December 1961.

The catalog is about equally split between retro groovy… southwestern style “Rancher”…colonial Americana… and viva Las Vegas, which is something that we have not dived into too much on this blog so far — but I feel an itch coming on!

Reading through I’ve learned that these lights were not called “retractable” — which is the term that I have been using. Rather, they were simply called “pull downs”.

And the copywriting from the Progress catalog is very fun:

Pull-downs in refreshing variety, with matching ceiling pieces and other coordinates… In this section, smartly sophisticated metal; nonchalance and warmth of wood in both walnut “slats” and “matchsticks”; “Ranchers”, large-scale and handsome as the Southwestrn originals; authentic charming and heart-warming are the “Early Americans”… Light moves from its age-old stationary position and becomes a faithful service of satisfying mobility, ease and luxury….

Today, I’ve featured two of the more modern lines: (1) The Sophisticates, and (2) Mardis Gras. I also have the price list, and it looks like the largest pull downs sold for $35-$40 at the end of 1961. Today, these can still be found on ebay, in many varieties. If you’re lucky, you can get a great price for a very mint fixture, but sometimes the bidding gets going on a desirable piece. In general – I predict these will continue to get hotter and hotter in the marketplace.

My Progress catalog has some 40+ pages of fixtures in all to showcase — many of them really terrific — so stay tuned for more!

SeeAllOurVintageCatalogsSMALL

Comments

1. Ree says

I have a pull down light which has no switch – on either the fixture of the wall.
    Did these have some kind of switch in the reel “egg” which turned them on when pulled down, and off when pushed up?
    Thanks for all your insight.

2. K L Wulff says

A number of people have mentioned that they have their pull downs attached to a track. Could someone post a pic of how that works or a brand name for the track. I can’t use a pull down unless I can reposition it as the table is constantly being moved depending on the number of diners.
    I grew up with one of these made by a company in Montreal I think. My parents left it in the house when they downsized. Rats!! It was great!
    Thanks
    Ken Wulff

3. Jeannie says

I have one of these pull down lights in my livingroom. The bottom globe is missing, exposing the 2 light bulbs in the fixture. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement? It measures approx. 13 1/2 in. in diameter.

4. Kelley says

I just moved into a home built in the late 50’s that had one of these pull down lights in the kitchen. It hung down too low so I had to removed it. It’s in great shape – the globe is in tactc, the brass needs so buffing and the cord is frayed, but all in all it looks great. Any idea on how I can find someone who might be interested in buying it? I know for the right person who knows what they are doing (I do not) that it would be a great piece cleaned up. I don’t want to just throw it away. I wish I could use it…

5. Spike says

I just got a lamp that looks a lot like the 4121 except that it has atomic stars painted on the top glass. Is there any way to find out what year it was produced? Here’s a link to it on my Instagram site: http://instagram.com/p/iBosWIp3VV/

Any info on it would be super helpful. Thanks!

Spike

6. Pam says

How difficult is it to fix the retractable part of these lights? I have my eye on one but the retractable cord no longer retracts all the way.

I do not know. Please know that I have been told that these lights are no longer to code — you should find your own properly licensed professional to assess the situation and to make informed decisions. Good luck!