Vintage Thermador built-in ovens and cooktops

vintage-thermador-cooktop-2vintage-thermador-ovenVINTAGE THERMADOR built-in ovens and stove tops are really  beautiful and leading-edge collectible. I see them at the Re-Store occasionally (such as the cooktop above), and am *so tempted* to add them to my collection of cool stuff, now stuffed into my attic. Over at the Eichler Network, Adam Martin wrote an interesting article in 2006 about Thermadors in Eichlers. The occasion was the 50th anniversary of a famous Thermador built-in wall oven, the WO-16A. It was top-of-the-line with straight from WWII aircraft – notice all the cockpit dials.  The history indicates that Thermador was first to innovate wall ovens separate from rangetops, in 1947. In ’52, they gave us a cooktop with a griddle. From my immersion into midcentury marketing materials, I am going to guess that by the mid-50s, half of America was still choosing the stand-alone oven/range combo. The other half: Separate cooktop and built-in oven. I am guessing the latter was more expensive – but more “modern” not only because the technology was newer but also it allowed you to have an uninterrupted run of base cabinets – also a very cool and modern thing. Thermador also seem to have stuck close to their brushed stainless steel finish. So, if you are looking to go retro, but want stainless steel rather than white or a color – these vintage ovens and rangetops are worth watching for.

Comments

1. Johnny Roberts says

Just closed on a 1956 home. It is equipped with the original Thermador wall mounted oven (looks just like the picture but with black knobs/handle) and warming drawer.

• zach says

I was quite surprised when I saw these sitting on the curb down the street. We’re not doing our kitchen for a while, so these might be going to another Indiana MCM homeowner.

I’d like to know what model it is first, though. I see a lot of talk about the WO-16A, but this is different. I think it is dated 1954, but it’s hard to read. I’m not sure if that would make it older or newer. Hopefully one of your readers can help.

• Henry says

I have both of those. The model number for the oven is at the base of the door, visible when the door is open. Mine is worn too, but I think it says WO-16 made into the aluminum label, but then it has an A stamped just above and to the right of the 16, like it was added on.

I have a l960 Thermador kitchen, “dbl. wall ovens, cooktop”. All in
    perfect working order.

The lower oven has a built in rotisserie.

Pink is not my favorite color but wouldn’t trade these appliances
    for today’s appliances.

Thermador means quality.

Glad to see your pictures of the stainless appliances.

T

3. Pam Allen says

We just bought a 1956 house and the original L&H wall oven is what we use. We are considering selling it to put in a larger unit. Where do you suggest we start looking to sell? Do you think online or antique shops would be better?

4. Rory says

We just purchased a home built in 1947 in Iowa City, Iowa. It hase the original thermador oven and cook top. Does anyone know of a place to get parts?
    Thanks for your help in advance.
    rlove6862@gmail.com

HELP, I am looking for a Thermador replacement for my present Vintage Stainless Steel Cooktop range, EXACTLY like the one you have photographed. Where can I possibly find a replacement??? I live in Portland, Oregon. Would be willing to have one shipped. Any recommendations are welcomed as I do not wish to change my kitchen area and am looking for an exact replacement.

HELP!

6. Krishna says

We have a 1950ish Thermador electric cooktop just like the one shown at the top of this page (small difference in the knob style) taking up room in my garage. All in working condition and cleaned up. I’m thinking of getting it appraised. Any suggestions? If you email me, I can send you some pictures of the stove.

7. Michelle Edmonds says

Hello All,
    I cook on and in these beautiful vintage 1950’s Thermador Ovens/Range Tops every single day!!! I bought my grandparents’ home and the range Top and Oven are the ones that My grandfather installed himself (he built the house himself) and I intend to leave the house to one of MY 5 granddaughters When I “go”…and I pray the oven and range top are STILL here and STILL working :o)

God Bless,
    Michelle

8. ed burrows says

I just aquired a L & H electric cook top / oven. I was wondering if you could tell me anything about it?

9. Claire says

Hi, I have an Identical Cook-top to that in the picture, its never been used, and its still in the box, recently found it in the attic of a friends mom, not sure about how old it is, or how much its worth, any information? anything will help.

10. A says

I am doing research on the value of my 1950’s, stainless steel Thermador wall oven & 6 burner stovetop. I have been unsuccessful in finding a comparable price. I do know that they are collectibles and unique. Do you have any suggestions?

I look forward to your feedback.

11. Ken says

Have Thermador appliances.
    45″ stainless steel four burner w/center griddle cooktop (model SU4-G), works.
    24″ wall oven (model WO-18AR,) element having shorting out issues.
    Would like to sell both for $200.