Troy rearranges his collections — in his new Eichler ranch house

troys-vacation-trays

I want SF Troy to come over to my house and reorganize all my collections. He’s moved into a new house — a vintage Eichler, ooh la la. I’ll have another post that tells and shows all, but meanwhile, here’s a sneak peek at his collections and how he’s displayed them all, just four months into the new space. Whimsy! Color! Massing! Yup, this boy knows how to do it, all right.

refrigerator-magnets

Welcome, frends.  15 great photos in all.

mid-century-modern-living-room

Note globes. Are those Masketeers birdies? Note Monsterosa Deliciosa.

eichler-mid-century-modern-living-room-decor

Nice.

eichler-mid-century-living-room-art

Please explain, Troy. From airports?

troys-new-eichler-kitchen

Sunscreen Bob and Suntan Bob in their kitchen habitat. Troy – how is it that the vacation platters are ‘nested’ behind the backsplash? Did you put in a new countertop and design it that way? What is the countertop? Glad to see you kept the original cabinets and gas rangetop. I recently learned that the world will not stop revolving on its axis (or whatever) if we do not all have Viking Ranges.

half-bath-with-chinese-menus

What the? Photos of noodles in the half bath. Okay. See? Put three, six or nine of ANYTHING together and you have an artful statement. Troy, how long did it take you to get these tic-tac-toe organized just right? When you place your collections do you stress out just like the rest of most of humanity, or do you “see it” immediately. If the latter, do not answer the question or I might have to hate you.

macrame-owls

Umm, why do I think that this photo will launch a run of macrame owl sales on etsy.com for the next year solid? I know I wanna. However, and you know I rarely say this sort of thing: That horse head pillow scares me. Too godfather. But yowza, that rug!

nyc-1972-subway-maps

1972 New York City subway maps make it clear just how pretty our lives can be through the magic of design.

paint-by-number-dogs-hallway-decor

The PBN dog collection’s new home. (Here they were…

in Troy’s old apartment.

troys-vintage-afghans

A goodly dose granny ranch is essential no matter how mid-century modern you get. Cozy comfy crocheted afghans, my favorite.

troys-vintage-ties

My oh my oh my oh my. I want to marry you, Troy. Alas, we live on separate coasts and oh yeah, there’s that thing about the fact I’m already married, and quite happily actually. Next time.

moving-day

Troy on the move. Thank you, Troy, for sharing. I will be coming back to you with some questions, and readers, there are lots more photos, for another post. Thanks for giving me this scoop! xoxo

Note to readers: Also be sure to see this post on Troy’s collection of vintage airline bags.

Viewing tip: Click on first image, it will enlarge, and you can progress through the complete slide show from there.

Comments

Maggie, it took until the tie pic. to give you an OCD clue? LOL…I’m just jealous, not only of the quick time span but also of how neat and tidy! If I had 1/10 of the organizational skills exhibited here!

Great place Troy, thanks for sharing!!

2. Alice says

Troy, truly you are meant to be in this house and have those posessions…everything just looks so inviting! Do tell, in the horse-heads room, is the flooring terrazo tile? Thank you for sharing your photos; yet another breath-taking inspiration from the RR site!

3. anastasia says

You know those owls used to scare me as as kid, but then I only had the ONE in our shared bedroom. The flock is a HOOT (yeah ok bad pun, but I liked it)

Wonder what the tie collection’s point was? Most of his collections were dual purpose, they looked great & DID something! Very cool!

4. Cindy says

Pam, you’re already married….I’ll marry Troy and live happily ever after in that awesome home. Troy, you really should be hosting a Fabulous 50s show on tv, like Janice said….you’ve got a gift!
    I noticed your dog paintings and wonder if any of them were painted by Edwin Megargee?? He was my beau’s step grandfather and was quite a well known dog painter of that era. We went to an art opening 5 years ago at a NYC gallery and I was surprised at how popular dog paintings are….and pricey. The ones from the 50s were the best, of course!!

• Christina says

I live in Denver, too. My downtown loft will never look like this, unfortunately. Have you seen that section of homes near Colorado Blvd and Florida-ish? I forget what the neighborhood is called, but basically, it’s Eichler knockoffs. If that makes sense. It’s as close as we can get to this look… unless you go to Wheat Ridge and Arvada.

5. Carolyn says

I love the tie display! I need to know what the ties are hanging on? I would love to have something like that above my husband’s bureau.

Hi Carolyn, hope this reply finds its way to you – apologies for the delay. I made the tie rack with a piece of lattice. It’s about 2″ wide by 3/16″ thick (standard stuff you get at the hardware store). On both ends of the piece of lattice (about 12″ in from each end) I drilled two holes, one above the other, each about 1/4″ in from the edge. I then used long screws to attach the lattice to the wall through the holes I drilled, with a 1/2″ spacer between the wall and the lattice to “float” the lattice off the wall. Ready for tie hanging! I can email you photos of the construction if you’d like. Enjoy!

• Mark G says

WOW – Troy – I love the tie display idea. I felt like running out to Home Depot the moment I saw the picture of yours. It’s something that could be constantly changing with additions and subtractions. Owning tacky ties is no longer a fashion mistake, but a decorating distinction. Thanks so much (any creative inspirations involving boxer shorts? )

7. joyce's jane says

you have managed to keep your collections from cluttering and detracting from that CLEAN look that i love with MCM. I am inspired to declutter and organize a little better after seeing your beautiful results.

8. Wendy M says

Thanks for sharing these pics! Troy has managed to honor the mid-century modern style while putting a very personal spin on it. I aspire to find that balance!

(On a side note, the zigzag aqua and brown afghan is exactly like the one my mom crocheted in the ’70′s…that picture brought back fond memories of it on our davenport when I was a kid.)

9. Melissa Leslie says

Troy’s house and collections are amazing. I know it’s 4 years later, but can you share the pictures of the tie contruction? such a great idea!