16 rooms showcasing popular colors from 1966

Interior design in the 1960s featured colors that were bright, plentiful and not afraid of to play with contrast… but you sure can see the 1970s sneaking up, even by 1966.  Goodness — look at this pink perfection confection basement rumpus room — one of 16 bedrooms, kitchens, living rooms and other spaces featured in my 1966 Sherwin Williams paint brochure. In particular, I want to marry those Eames style chairs — and look: There are matching bar stools, too. I think I’ve seen the dinette before… my memory is vague… it may be the bestest ever. But I say that every time I see another cool dinette, don’t I? I also love some of the colonial-modern living rooms in this brochure… and I am now incited to get me some mid mod wig stands — notice them peeking out here and there. What is that all about? The women’s falls and other hair pieces that were so popular in the 60s? Oh, I have some of those picked up from estate sales. Kind of gross, but I have a high tolerance for gross when it comes to vintage.

To view the slide show, click on the first thumbnail. Once it’s enlarged, click on the arrow below to move forward or back. You can start the slide show from any spot…

Comments

Oh my gosh, I love that rumpus room! And all these pictures! That orange kitchen! That violet bathroom! And Mr. Cleancut down there in the corner painting – what kind of outfit is that to paint in? Thanks for starting my day out with a smile.

2. Kelly LeBel says

These are FABULOUS! The green counter top in pic 11 is to die for! My house was built in 1966…. maybe I can incorporate some of these looks into it. Thanks Pam!

3. Annie B. says

I want to marry that orange kitchen (after taking down the valence). Great great great colors!

I well remember the Dynel fall. I had one; it looked like the pelt of a roadkill.

• Gavin Hastings says

Annie B.
      I like the valance…it is the one item in the room which could only BE from 1966! I wish I could engineer something like it in gray and black.

• Annie B. says

Gavin, you are so right about the valence and ’66. It’s period-perfect and a great accent. I suppose I’m just too recticlinear to look at it every day before coffee!

• Gavin Hastings says

Because it falls into the wrong hands!

Actually, I think this is a question for an Socialogy Major. A few decades ago, I think most people looked forward to a better future and embraced new ideas a bit more openly. Nowadays…everybody is a critic.

And people aren’t afraid of color: so long as it is a red wall or a sage green wall or a gold wall.

crossing the line into a warning re “making other people feel bad for their choices”. such rants only allowed on ‘resist the greige nation’ post. note: i think we are in an “anything goes” era. some folks like sage green (hey, i was into that big time in the 90s) others go color crazy. it’s a mad mad mad decorating world — precipitated by the explosion of alternatives made available by the wonderful internet

• drex says

Good points both of you. I think you are right, Gavin, about people embracing the future with curious wide opened eyes. I miss that actually. I’ve made the choice to take my 1965 mod ranch back to its roots – and that includes color – bright glorious color!

And Pam – rants are good, especially yours!

I think that cynics get way more press than optimists. Let’s not feed those bad vibes. Number one commenting rule of the blog: No one can be made to feel bad for their choices.

4. Elaine says

OK, that fireplace in pic 10 gives me a great idea! My 1964 house has a great fieldstone fireplace with no mantel and I want to add a mantel but not put holes in my fireplace. I’m calling my handyman artist friend for a consult about this.

5. Cara says

Wow! I am enjoying people being jealous of an orange kitchen. My poor kitchen always gets a disapproving: Oh…it’s orange…

Hmm, it looks like I need some coordinating orange walls. Now if only my cupboards were better quality and I had a fab window planter I would be set.

So many fun ideas in these brochures!

6. Cindy says

Oh Pam! I always get new ideas from you! These homes are so comfortable to walk into…maybe that’s because I grew up in the 60s…or because they’re just great design!
    I’ve used beautiful colors in my house and it warms the place up. The open living areas and kitchen are a bright cantelope color with grey and beige accents, another room is terracotta walls and it embraces you when you enter. I say be bold with color, too!

7. Cynthia says

Great images! I want that orange kitchen, too. Actually, just about any orange room would do it for me…I am currently (almost) as in love with the color orange as I am with my husband…

Speaking of husbands…do you think that’s a master bedroom in the 4th image (the green room…)? Ummm…could those beds be any *further* apart? 😉

8. James says

Wow- what colors. There was a lot of societal strife in the mid- to late- 1960s, but the colors in these images really reflect an optimistic, upbeat outlook. What a contrast to the current glum “griege” look.

9. Josie says

That orange kitchen shocked me, it was soooo cute. I knew I loved yellow and white, but the orange is so fresh and fun. I’d love to see it with white geraniums (or orange gerber daisies, if you felt like being less period) potted on the sill.

I love citrus-y, sunny schemes – whether orange, yellow, or chartruese/lemongrass/lime green, mixed with white. Its actually my favourite vintage scheme, edging ahead of pink/aqua/lavender (but only slightly, I’m not hating on those by any means).

Slightly off topic, and not to sound ungrateful when I’ve got an awesome page like that orange scheme, but…Miss Pam, please please please can I have a run down of dinette styles? Please? I love you! You look pretty today! [/puppy eyes]

LOL, we just really need a dinette set and my husband hates all the ones I’ve come up with. His dislike of metal/glass/plastic furniture really crimps me for options, unless you have some ideas.

What’s a wood, mid-century modest option? Can I recushion a bland thrifted or unfinished set with checks or cherries or something and then paint it a coordinating color? I am so stuck.

10. Gayla says

What a walk down memory lane. I borrowed the money for my fall from a boy friend. He was really mad when he found out what I so desperately needed the money for. LOL Nope, didn’t marry that one. I’m seeing all the Spanish accents there that completely took over my decorating not so long after 1970. I can’t believe I had black wrought iron chains hanging on my living room walls but I did. That was my avocado green, gold and red period. I thought it was just gorgeous. I hope that comes back and replaces this horrid sea of brown the furniture stores are still full of. No wonder the country is in a depression!

11. vintigchik says

I’ve noticed a couple of photos that have what looks like vertical blinds. Are these era appropriate for my 1968 split level? I have 3 sliding glass doors in my home and there are some blinds left by the previous owners. I’m not crazy about them, but with a dog and 3 kids in and out, it’s convenient. I was thinking about getting some and painting over them with an era appropriate color or something. What are your thoughts?

12. vintigchik says

Has anoyne seen the kid’s movie Matilda yet?? If not, you need to watch it for all the fun vintage sets, complete with VCT tiles, a to-die-for mid century modern home, and older homes. Plus the movie is super cute and is based on the book by Roald Dahl. Matilda’s house is my fav on this!

I so badly want that red bedroom in picture six! I am currently trying to finagle a way to purchase a mid-century home on my painfully limited budget and if I can manage it, that will have to happen, somehow!