Vintage Christmas ornament wreaths — the first wave of Georgia Peachez’ 2011 designs

Georgia Peachez aka Suzy has been stocking up on vintage Christmas ornaments all year, and today, in anticipation of the upcoming holiday season, she has put the first batch of her new Christmas wreaths made from vintage ornaments online for sale. Yes, it’s too early to be thinking about Christmas — but not if you want to get your hands on one of Suzy’s beautiful, www-famous creations — which feature vintage Shiny Brites, Christmas elves, and all kinds of little treasures that make these wonderful keepsake wreaths. I think these would be a great gift for the friend or family member who “has everything” — or who has lost the juice to put up a tree every year. I can also see these wreaths as a way to split treasured family ornaments among family members.

Make your own vintage Christmas ornament wreath:

ornament wreaths by georgia peaches

Want to make an ornament wreath of your own? Longtime readers will recall that last year, I printed a story with Suzy’s step-by-step instructions on how to make a wreath from vintage Christmas ornaments here.

But, hey, don’t kid yourself: If you are not really going to get around to making a wreath on your own, you can buy one of Suzy’s 2011 design over at her Wreath Blog, starting today at 1 p.m. Beat the rush — they do sell out.

Comments

1. gsciencechick says

So gorgeous! I *am* going to try to make one this year, of course, after finals are done for the semester. We put up a full size and a small tree, yet we have SO many vintage ornaments that don’t get used, so non-crafty-but-generally-handy me will attempt.

2. Karen says

I have a LOT of vintage ornaments-some from my parents and grandparents and the rest I picked up at antique shops and shows. I use all of mine on the tree. I love the tree decorated in vintage and I think this would be a good excuse to collect more ornaments and make a wreath that matches my tree!

• chris says

Karen — I have several from my own childhood (1960s) and some from my grandparents. I am so torn about trying to do a wreath. I have a museum background and have this lingering reluctance to do anything that will compromise the condition of my “family artifacts.”

Thinking of trying to collect some that don’t have the direct family connection so I can use them to be crafty.

Isn’t that goofy? An ornament is an ornament…. but I just can’t bring myself to use the family originals in any way other than hanging them on a tree.

Wondered if you kept yours separate too — or if I’m the only weirdo about stuff like that!

• says

Chris, not weird at all. I do a separate tree each year with the ornaments my parents purchased back in 1963, their first Christmas together. I would love to do a wreath, but can’t bring myself to use the ornaments from my childhood. I may need to purchase one of those beauties from Suzy.

• Cindy Carrell says

I too have an emotional attachment to many of my ornaments and don’t want to “ruin” them by gluing them to a wreath. – – Why not wire them on? or just use the ornaments that are broken in some way, yet intact enough to use, hiding the imperfection by their placement? (Yes, I have kept a bunch of cracked, dented ornaments)

3. chris says

I absolutely love these! GA Peachez — are you currently IN Georgia? I’m in Marietta! You need to sell these at our Art Fair on the Square!

4. Judi Morris says

So glad to see you back at it!! I totally fell in love your bulb ornaments last year and these are just a wonderful! Judi

5. beth says

will more of your wreaths be for sale soon? everything is sold out ! love the colors and pieces of #12 and 13. I love the more vintage snowman and santas. please make one for me!!

6. Karen Day says

These wreaths are absolutely gorgeous! If I can find enough vintage ornaments during my weekly yard sale forays I am going to attempt this project! Sadly, all my childhood ornaments from the 1950’s are long gone, having broken with use over the years. Boo hoo.

7. Brain Bunnies says

Love these! I had a flashback just looking at the pink one. We had that exact little house hanging on our tree in the 60s/70s. Beautifully done!