4 places to find recessed soap dishes and ceramic bathroom fixtures — including both vintage and new

recessed ceramic soap dishHere is another source to check for recessed soap dishes: Deabath.com, which has four pages of New Old Stock and salvaged ceramic tile accessories on their website. Above: A Hall-Mack “Chinavogue” soap dish from 1958, still in its original box. Gosh, I want to get all gushy about how beautiful this is… Deabath.com — aka Bathroom Machineries — also has ceramic tile-in toothbrush holders, toilet paper roll holders and shelves… not only in white, but also in a catch-as-catch-can variety of vintage colors.

dispose of used razor blades

deabath even sells a tile with slot to dispose of used razor blades — so old skool!

Recessed soap dishes are a pretty popular topic. I now have a list of four places to find them, along with other recessed and tile-in ceramic accessories — including both vintage New Old Stock (NOS) and made-new:

Disclosure: Deabath.com is currently an advertiser, but this story is not part of the deal. It’s part of my continuing hunt for and coverage of, places to find the hard-to-find products for your Retro Renovations.

Too funny about that blade disposal tile. I’ve heard stories where contractors go in to remodel/repair a bathroom and they open up the wall and a mountain of safety blades comes pouring out at them. I guess that is a “I’ll let the next guy worry about it” kinda thing.

2. Jeffrey from Village Green says

Hello, I sent you a blog about the bathroom remodel I,m doing on my 1941 National Historic Landmark. We’ve made our decisions, and now we are ordering what is needed. This article came just in time for the pieces we need. The Hal-Mack Chinavogue will be perfect! And the towel bars, soap dish, and cup holder at Rejuvenation is just 5 minutes away. What great solutions! Your site has been a big help so far. Thanks! We will keep you updated and send you some pictures soon.

3. Thomas and Maureen Bob says

Hello from Dallas Tx. We have been searching for a replacement recessed soap dish,which my grand son tried to stand on and broke the grab/washrag handle off of.Should anyone be able to help us,it would be greatly appreciated.The dimensions are 91/2 X 41/4. The tile size is the 41/4X41/4 so it takes up two tile area,The color should be white or somewhat off white. Thanks a million. Thomas and Maureen Bob 😉

Thomas and Maureen — check all the resources I have in this story and in my Bathrooms / Tile and Bathrooms / Accessories sectons. GOod luck

4. Jess says

I am looking for a 20inch glass bathroom shelf with white porcelain brackets and I am having alot of trouble finding one. Please help!

5. Regiane Benko says

Hi I need to buy one ceramic wall tile bath shower soap dish I think is the series 800 sleek series – alm. I saw one model in your website, how can I buy this ?

6. Kathy Cutforth says

I found the motherload of ceramic toothbrush holders, towel bar holders, shower nitches and shelves, TP holders, ect… in over 100 colors! Not the easiest webste to navigate, but the prices are reasonable.

Also carries replacement white and clear plastic spring-loaded 3/4″ square towel bars to fit old ceramic towel bar holders:

Incidentally, you might want to mention that your friends at DEA Bath stock white and clear glass towel bars, and they apparently have some metal square ones as well. Here is the link for the glass ones:

Couldn’t find a list for square metal ones–you have to call.

Rejuvenation makes a great set of ceramic light fixtures and such for a period bath, and they are 30% off right now. Might be able to get a square metal replacement bar there, or scavenge for parts from a cheap modern towel bar.

I’m wondering if those spring-loaded plastic ends from Eclectic-ware/AC Products could be retrofitted into a metal bar.

Thanks.Yes, Eclectic Ware and Lenape seem now to be the same thing — see our 4th bulleted resource.

Thanks for the tip on the spring-loaded towels — I’ve never seen those before!

7. Ellie says

My question is actually about cleaning vintage ceramic bathroom accessories. I found a 1930s soapdish to go with the colored Kohler fixtures I’m installing in my bathroom (yay ebay!), but it has some hard water and soap stains. Any suggestions for removing them?

Soaking in warm water with baking soda and ammonia and scrubbing gently hasn’t worked. The guy I got the bathroom fixtures from seems to have used muratic acid to clean those. Is that what’s needed here, too?

8. Kathy says

What has worked for me is to use a lime-removing cleaner, like Lime-a-Way, and to scrape with a single-edge razor, and then scrub with a small stiff bristle brush with a handle, something like the one you would use to wash dishes with, and then polish with a cloth. Hold the razor almost parallel to the surface of the tile and make sure to always keep the surface wet to prevent scratches, and scrape in short strokes, almost like finessing the edge of a blade on a wetstone. You can carefully bend the razor to give it a bit of a curve to help around the curved edges. If it is really tight inside the soap dish, you can snip the blade in half.

It may take a couple of sessions to get it all–sometimes I soak a rag in the lime remover and let it sit for awhile if it is really bad. I have managed to rescue a number of fixtures others have thought hopeless without marring the finish like acid can. Once you get the hang of it, you can also very carefully remove lime build-up from chrome fixtures as well this way, (don’t let the cleaner sit too long or it will remove the finish!) and of course from wall tile, sinks, bathtubs, toilets and other hard surfaces.

I have very hard water and have to do this periodically. You know you got it all when the surface feels smooth, not rough to your fingers, and there isn’t a haze. It can be hard to tell until it dries. Just repeat until you are satisfied. At least you can do this at a table instead of perched on the edge of the tub!