Tinselmania: 221 vintage aluminum Christmas trees

aluminum christmas treeWell, I’m just having a party analyzing all the retro Christmas decorations that readers have uploaded.  How about this one: A special slide show of all 62 73 aluminum Christmas trees. Mini, small, medium, large… Found at the Goodwill, in Aunt Bertha’s attic, or on ebay… Decorated with vintage ornaments, elves, Barbies — even pickles. Above: Steve Conley says his aluminum tree is in the kitchen. Of course, that fireplace, yum, too. Nice photo, Steve, got ya on the homepage. :)

Pom Pom aluminum Christmas treePom Pom seems to have been the big-name manufacturer of aluminum Christmas trees back in the day. Above: Steve got his Pom Pom from his aunt. I own a Pom Pom, too — a Pom Pom for Pam, tee hee — found at an estate sale in Pittsfield a few years back.  I remember the Bingo! moment well. Other names in aluminum trees, which I spotted in your uploads seem to have been Peco, Revlis, Evergleam, Spiral Lit, Raco (Australia). And don’t forget the color wheels — although working vintage models seem to be more elusive finds. Click on through to see all 62 73 –>

Aluminum Christmas tree slide show:

To see the slide show, click on the thumbnail, it will enlarge, then use the arrows just below to move forward or back. You can start or stop the show from any slide.
And safety tip: No electric lights in aluminum trees, plees.

Comments

1. Clive says

I love that aluminum shiny look we had one growing up and I was fascinated how reflective the lights were off the tree. I found a clor wheel a few years back at a flea market in the high Sierra Nevada desert. It was 2 dollars. I couldn’t get my wallet out fast enough. No rust like new the desert is a great place to find metal treasures.

2. Beth says

Love these trees. You can find colorful alternatives made today from Treetopia. I’ve had my eye on an orange one for the porch of my pink & purple house. And a fluffy pink one for inside. Sigh, but I have to decide what to get rid of to make space in the basement for off-season storage. Another dream bubble burst by my problem with retro hoarding (and crafts, and tools, and other useful things)

• Heart says

Wow! the orange one is cool & you could use it for Halloween/Thanksgiving too! I like the ‘candy corn’ tree, never seen anything like it 😉 Thanks for the Share <3

3. Wynonna says

Oh my !! My Grandparents had an 8 foot aluminium tree well into the 1970’s……they had the color wheel, and a ton of the large primary colored plastic ornaments (stars, bells and reindeer) I still have some of the plastic ornaments packed away.
    The tree sat packed away in the attic for years, when I asked my grandmother if I could have it she told me that my grandfather had taken it out to the curb the previous year, and darned if it was not gone within 5 minutes……she could not understand why someone would have taken it as she never really cared for it…….

4. lynda murray says

wow! I will be on the hunt all summer for one of these trees! I hope next christmas I will be sending you one of my pictures! Thanks for the inspiration.

5. Lisa Graepel says

Used to lay on the floor for hours gazing at our aluminum tree as the color wheel turned…..I just went way back in time!