Retro kitchen colors like harvest gold, avocado, poppy and orange — from Viking

One of the big names in high-end kitchen appliances — the Viking range company — seems to offer the widest variety of colors to choose for your refrigerator, stove, oven and dishwasher. Including: Yes, some pretty decent proxies — well, close as I could find — for famous (or infamous) postmodern kitchen appliance colors including harvest gold, avocado green, Brady Bunch orange and even poppy — a color that the industry made a big, failed push to introduce in the early 1970s. Of course, Viking does not use these names. Theirs are the more socially acceptable Golden Mist, Mint Julep (which I acknowledge is not a good avocado, really), Pumpkin and Apple Red. And of course, these appliances are not going to be inexpensive; I never said this was a site only about cheap and cheerful. Did you know that Viking bought the famous St. Charles steel kitchen cabinet brand a few years ago, and is marketing these steel kitchen cabinets again today? The cabinets are so expensive they won’t even tell me how much a single one costs.

Hey: If I were rich rich rich enough to afford a kitchen full of Viking appliances, you can bet I’d be getting the colors. My favorite right this very moment is the harvest gold.

What about you? What Viking color would you choose?
See them all here.

Comments

1. Cynthia says

Orange for sure. I have a longstanding love affair with all things orange. Shhh……don’t tell my husband (like he doesn’t already know… ;-))

2. wendy says

I have a vintage pink fridge and a vintage pink range. I would have preferred turquoise, but the retro renovating gods brought me pink, and they are delightful.

As for the Vikings…..not that they would go with really anything, but I love the Seaglass and the Pumpkin. How opposite can you get? 🙂

3. Katherine says

I am currently renovating a kitchen and lust for the orange stove. Our local showroom carries St. Charles kitchens. They were informed recently that the line is going out of business. Can anyone else confirm this? Looks like we will all be scouring Craigslist.

• Dave says

I recently tried to buy cabinets and all sales have been put on hold while Viking tries to find a buyer for the brand. You can’t buy new St. Charles right now for any amount of money. Sad really, we are back to the drawing board for our 1951 re-do…

4. Matt says

I grew up with poppy red appliances. I always felt special because every time I would discuss growing up in the seventies with my friends they would always ask “Avacado green or harvest gold?” and I would smirk and reply, “Neither! Poppy red!”

I do like the harvest gold (the color of my first appliances I had after leaving home. There doesn’t seem to be a true avocado green like the appliances in the house my parents had during my junior high years (and still had the avocado Maytag washer and dryer until about 8 years ago), or a true turquoise, the color of my dreams and of the big old Revco refrigerator and all of the other appliances and fixtures that were in the house my parent have now. But I really do love that orange!

6. Deb G. says

Those are beautiful, but definitely don’t look like the Harvest Gold appliances I currently live with in my fab 1975 kitchen – complete with yellow formica countertops, scalloped wood accents, and the same linoleum pattern I grew up with in 1980! At least, we think it was remodeled in 1975, as that is when the adjoining breakfast nook was added. I’ve always meant to send in a pic so others could help guess my kitchen’s age. 🙂

7. Melanie says

That is definitely not Harvest Gold! I have a harvest gold stove in my kitchen right now (just replaced the avacado) and that Golden Mist is but a pale comparison to the real deal.

Now, retro or not, if I had the funds, I’d be all about getting the frig in purple!

8. pam kueber says

PEOPLE: READ what I wrote. I said “some pretty decent proxies — well, close as I could find.” STOP hocking me cuz they are not exact. Sheesh. You are stressing me out.

• Deb G. says

Certainly not my intention! I love your site and was just interested how the color palettes have been updated for a more modern look – far more gold than the mustard I associate with harvest gold.

9. Lauryn says

Good to see high end stuff that is NOT just stainless steel. While the apple red looks remarkably close to our marmoleum floor, I think I would have to stick with white, since there is so much other color in our kitchen. I must confess I’ve always loved the clean look of white appliances, especially in a colorful kitchen. I do think we will want to one day get a higher quality range and it does seem that the higher end stuff is all stainless. So maybe it’s time to start saving my pennies!

Avocado, harvest gold, poppy, all great! I seem to remember an old advertising or catalogue with wallpapered appliances… am I remembering incorrectly? I’ve been told that the previous fridge in my apartment was yellow before I moved in. I’m considering contact papering the white fridge in my rental, maybe in a sixty-ish pattern. Crazy!

11. Kathie says

Oh my goodness I’m in love with the harvest gold. Those appliances, combined with my original birch cabinets and an Armstrong faux brick vinyl linoleum floor, would constitute my DREAM kitchen!

12. Kelly says

Oh my god, I want them ALL. But I’m drooling over the sea glass color, I’m a sucker for anything close to robin’s egg blue. Dream kitchen would have these and a big ol’ farmhouse kitchen sink. sigh…

These are all wonderful! The orange is my favorite, although I wish they made a bright yellow, as I’d want to mix/match at least 3 colors. Somewhat to my chagrin, our wonderful 1953 house had a new granite/stainless kitchen installed a year before we bought it, so no new Viking for me! But I’ve retro-ed it up by adding lots of color: vintage mixing bowls, Fiestaware, colorful utensils & towels. I would love to add a brightly colored toaster oven–does anyone know a brand that makes these? I have a bright red toaster, but my finance demands a small oven and I hate to add yet more stainless….all ideals welcomed! Thanks.

14. J says

Is Viking no longer making these cool retro colors? Their online catalogue seems to just have 8 or so standards… 🙁