Kitchen flooring with retro appeal: Azrock VL-130 Classic Blue Gray vinyl tile

We are not accustomed, I think, to seeing vinyl tile kitchen floors that *read* dark and streaky and complex. For example, there were a number of comments about the floor in the fantastic 1956 Tennessee time capsule kitchen (at right) — readers were kind of startled at the drama in that floor. I’ve been looking at vintage interiors for so long, though, that my *startled* almost immediately turns to *luv,* because I like to be shaken out of what is customary and accepted today. In this same vein, I love the floors that Brian and Keri chose for their retro kitchen update:

Azrock VL-130 vinyl composite tiles in classic blue gray.

The rest of the kitchen is so… graphic. This floor works, just like the vintage resilient tiles in the time capsule kitchen. That Brian and Keri — who both work in the visual arts — have a good eye — as they should!

Azrock VL is available in five colors.  Note: I used Azrock Cortina Autumn Haze in my kitchen.)

Green

Blue-Gray — the color that Brian and Keri used

Tan

White

Gray

Comments

1. Meredith R. says

Brian and Keri’s kitchen is great. Regarding dark, streaky flooring I wanted to share that I recently came across something similar in linoleum sheet. It’s Forbo’s Marmoleum Graphic line: http://www.forboflooringna.com/Commercial-Flooring/Products/Marmoleum/Marmoleum-Global-3/Marmoleum-Graphic/. As good as these look at the link they looked way better in the sample book I got from the flooring store — super retro and cool in my opinion. In the end we went with B&W checkerboard in MCT for our kitchen. I’d been thinking about that for so long that I was really reluctant to switch gears, but boy was I tempted by this stuff.

• Glenn Whiting says

Can you post some pics of your kitchen – we are considering a B&W Floor in our renovation…

Thanks

2. Natalia says

Ditto on the Marmoleum Graphic. We installed “Libretto” (5312) sheet flooring from that line in our 1953 kitchen and 1/2 bath. It looks fantastic and so far (6 months) is wearing beautifully despite being well used by two artists and two dogs.

We had lots of leftover sheets, so we laid those on the floor in our art studio to make it easier to clean up spills. Couldn’t be happier with it.

• stephenny says

My husband and I really really want to install Signo from the Graphic collection of Marmoleum. Did you install it yourself and how did you finish the seams or did you skip this part? This is the only thing keeping us from buying sheet linoleum. I wish they made this collection available in tiles!

3. sablemable says

I love the variety of Azrock tile! Will be redoing our sunroom floor this summer and I’m taken with the Cortina Grande in PomPoms (a dark, chili red).

4. sablemable says

Meant to ask everyone here-does anyone have rubber tiled flooring in their MCM homes? I fall a lot and the kitchen flooring is newer ceramic tile. I need something more cushion-y, although I have built-in “cushions” already, LOL!

5. Gracie Manasco says

The floor I picked for myself was Mannington Adura “Summer Straw” but before I could save up the $$ they’ve discontinued the stuff! Grrrr!

6. Rocket Doc says

My kitchen has ca. 1970 sheet flooring that appears to be made from broken chips of vinyl tile (pale green with slight variegation) embedded in a translucent resin backed by the soft sheet vinyl that is adhered to the floor beneath–it has a terrazzo effect that I find really attractive, but it’s in deteriorated condition. Most terrazzo-look flooring today has printed patterns and I wonder if anything like this old stuff is made. The closest thing I have found is Fritztile which is 12″x12″ tiles with stone and/or glass chips in opaque or clear resin, and more expensive than most stone or porcelain tile flooring.

• JAVA says

Rocket Doc,

I hope you will see my comment, But I think the floor you are describing is called an Epoxy floor. My grandparents have this kind of epoxy floor in their bathroom which is original to their house built in 1959. Theirs have tan, white, dark green and gold flecks. Recently I myself discovered what this type of floor was and found images on flickr.com of I guess a company that does this type of floor, however their link to their website was not working so I dont know if they are still making it themselves. maybe you can find another company who will do this floor? Here are the photos from flickr I found:

• Sidonie says

You may want to check out “Astro” by Flexitec. It seems like what you are describing, a vinyl sheet flooring with a sort of translucent top layer with little bits suspended in it.

“Astro” and its sparkly buddy “Planet” were the only two Retro-Reno-suitable sheet vinyls out of the hundreds at my local flooring warehouse. I wanted to hug the person at Flexitec responsible for not making it zero.

7. Natalia says

We researched rubber tiles when looking at flooring options for our kitchen, but I read that they are not suitable for kitchens because they are porous and can’t handle grease. I don’t know if this is true, it’s just what I read.

Also, the building where my office was located recently had rubber tiles installed in a hallway. They look great, but they seem to scuff easily. They also stank to high heaven for weeks after installation. The odor dissipated, but it was annoying.

8. Victoria says

We used Armstrong Commercial VCT Excelon Stonetex Granite Gray in our Kitchen with random tiles of Excelon Stonetex Coal Black. It’s a great look, but we do have to polish it.

• pam says

don’t know if you will see this but if so please post pictures! We are thinking of doing our kitchen floor with this product and I would love to see how it looks!

9. Martha says

Hi Pam,

I love your blog and seeing you every day on Facebook. I’ve really embraced the “love the house you’re in” philosophy. Looking for MCM items at estate sales has been a real bonding experience for me and my daughter.

Since you suggested using the “comments” section rather than sending you an email, I’m going to comment on this story to see if you can offer advice on a question I have about old linoleum.

Our house is not MCM, but a 1914 Craftsman style house. We’ve been working on improvements that will bring it into the 21st century but with a conscious nod to the home’s roots AND its 20th century history. My husband just finished a complete plaster re-do in one of the second floor bedrooms, When I started to pull up the ancient worn-out wall-to-wall carpet I discovered some lovely midcentury lineoleum which is also wall-to-wall. It even goes under the shoe molding! The part that’s visible so far is in good condition, and depending on what we find when we pull up the rest of the carpet, I would like to keep it when we put furniture back into the room.

My question is about restoring it. Can you offer any advice about the best way to clean it and possibly repair any tears or other damage I might find in it?

I would love to send you photos of it. I’m really excited about the pattern and colors.

We’ve done two other bedrooms on the same floor, and each has had fascinating patterns of linoleum. This is the first one that looks like it might be salvage-able.

Thanks for any assistance you or any of your contacts can give me.

10. Linda says

Having seen only a small sample, I had a floor installed, which I do not like and want to replace. The sample was very small, and did not convey that the material looks and feels like a thin rubber mat. While I would prefer to find a floor that has an underlayment like a laminate floor, I need to know what the terms mean. Resilient (rubber-like?) Vinyl sheet goods (rubbery like this stuff?). What I want is something that looks and feels like the (probably asbestos) tiles we removed 35 years ago!

11. Chuck says

Hi. Azrock is discontinuing this line. There are a few boxes available of three of the colors. We are going to get some of the VL-122 Grey and do our kitchen.

I can’t tell from the image, did you lay the tiles in a pattern opposite one another, or all in the same direction?

Thanks.

Chuck

12. Sherry says

Searching for some 12 x 12 vinyl tiles to fill in my mid-century kitchen floor. They appear to be a streaky (gold colored) tile that was top-stamped with an embossed pebble-shape design. “Pebbles” range from 1/2″ to 3″ long. These tiles are thinner (1/16″) & more flexible stock than VCT, but the streaky flecky background is the same look as some common VCT. Can email a pic to your email. Any ideas on Sourcing either vintage or retro stock (I already looked thru the right-hand sources to no avail)? Thanks, Sherry

Sounds like old tile, likely that you can only find these vintage as far as I know.

Be sure to consult with a properly licensed professional to know what is in those tile and how to handle appropriately…

Note, all our research is at the top (in the blue navigation) – the stuff in the right hand sidebar is ads.