Color for kitchen countertops — 7 new designs from Wilsonart

Go-Wavy-series_WilsonartContractLaminatesBaM pOw SpLaT! Wilsonart’s new line of colorful laminates in their Go Wavy series may be just the blast of color that your kitchen or bathroom countertop has been missing. Wilsonart says the series was specifically designed with urban dwellers in mind — to bring colors found in vegetables, fruits, landscapes and skies into concrete jungle interiors. But, we think these colors are good for our arsenal of  retro laminate countertop designs — no matter where you live. If you are looking for flower power colors — harvest gold or avocado green — or even classic 1950s candy apple red — these will be colors you want to check out.

According to Wilsonart senior designer Jill Lock:

Consumers can order “Go Wavy” laminate samples from Countertop.com.  Plus for your countertop needs, these laminates can be ordered through your local home center (Lowe’s and Home Depot special order catalog). You can find your local dealer here.

The wave pattern is a crossover in design elements: Popular trends in design are line and movement. The waves simulate a troweled wall texture. In Wilsonart High Pressure Laminate (HPL), the waves look equally great on horizontal tops or vertically in cabinetry.

http://retrorenovation.com/2012/06/12/flower-power-kitchen-and-bathroom-sinks-new-from-kohler-jonathan-adler/Hey — remember the Jonathan Adler colors just introduced by Kohler? We got us a Flower Power Revival goin’ on in American interior design. For sure.

Wilsonart-Laminate-Pomegranate4914-60 Pomegranate – deep natural red.

Wilsonart-Laminate-Eggplant4913-60 Eggplant – a rich aubergine, sophisticated and dramatic.

Wilsonart-Laminate-Tangerine4915-60 Tangerine – tangy orange, global and vibrant.

Wilsonart-laminate-sweetcorn4916-60 Sweet Corn – creamed yellow.

Wilsonart-Laminate-Sprout4918-60 Sprout – a mid value green; supports organic green seen in vegetables and melons. Hmmmm … and in AVOCADOS, perhaps?

Wilsonart-Laminate-kiwi4917-60 Kiwi – yellow-green with versatility; can be used as an accent or neutralized with woodgrains.

Wilsonart-Laminate-blueagave4919-60 Blue Agave – deep teal blue; a global color influence coming from India and Latin America.

I could picture several of these colors (specifically the pomegranate, tangerine and sweet corn) working in a retro kitchen with a 50’s, 60’s or 70’s vibe. The most exciting part of this new collection though, is that it gives us an island of laminate countertop color choices in an otherwise mostly Graveyard of the Atlantic sea of options.

See all our Countertop research by clicking here

Comments

1. Nate says

I’m so thankful that the colors and designs of min 1900’s are coming back. You’ve given us lots of info on laminates of late and I’m very thankful for it. I’m moving into a 1960 ranch TOMORROW and will be updating the tired kitchen with permission from the landlord as close to original as I can. One question though…backsplashes. Besides laminate, what would a period correct backsplash be? I’ve scoured RR for backsplash tidbits and really haven’t found anything. Have I missed something? If not, could a backsplash feature be done? Any info would be great.

• Nate says

I’ve been looking through the kitchen section for pics and ideas. I haven’t been through all of it yet but I’ve got time. My reno will be a long running process, I feel. Funny thing is, I’ve had a kitchen in my head for years but have never settled on a backsplash. It’s the last little detail. There’s always that one thing that you can’t decide on. 🙂

2. Ellen says

Hi I am in Chicago and am renovating a very small kitchen in a gorgeous art deco two flat built in 1950!! While this is very exciting, I have found that not many contractors want to deal with getting a sheet of laminate and then building my countertop. Do you know anyone out there who has a recommendation for a contractor in Chicago?
    Ellen

3. lynda says

Hmm, maybe there is a color for Kami’s “paint, don’t paint, get rid of, keep hutch” from a previous post? Pretty colors.

4. Jordanna says

I love the Kiwi and Sprout but I’m a green person all the time. Sprout looks soft enough even to meld with older ’30s-’40s greens? Be still, my heart, Jadeite?

I think the Eggplant could look good with white cabinets? With chrome hardware? Or if someone is feeling brave, pink…

If you put hairpin legs under, I could see these making kicking little dinette set tables, or even coffee-table tops? The Pomegranate would be so ’40s cute with chairs with red-checked cushions.

Yes I know that’s going back past flower power but I think these colours actually have a good bit of range, especially the red and greens.

• lisa says

I love Kiwi and Sprout, too. Wondering if one of these would give the retro 30s look I am seeking for my 1907 kitchen that was French Countrified/Victorianized in the late 1990s.

Trying to work with the oatmeal-colored tiles but bring in some color. Kiwi is probably too yellow to mesh with the pinky-beige tone, but maybe Sprout offers enough contrast to work.

Just this week our new countertops were installed—sadly, out with the 62 year old coral Formica (with squiggles, not boomerang)—but IN with the Blue Agave Wilsonart! I will send photos when the kitchen is done. It looks SMASHING!

6. Aimee Polson says

Has anyone installed a glossy laminate? I recently got some samples from Wilsonart and I like them, but they look extremely susceptible to scratching and scuffing. I tried to rub my sample, but I wasn’t exactly recreating normal wear and tear.

Does anyone happen to know of a dealer in Canada? I checked out a couple of these sites, and there company is not in Canada. Also I didn;t see nay shipping options. I LOVE the red!!! If I could get this red my kitchen is 95% complete. I was going to marine paint the counter tops but formica is a more “retro” option.