Among mid-century enthusiasts, the starburst is king. Vintage starburst hardware, clocks, mirrors and more can fetch high prices on ebay — making it difficult to procure these original, sought-after pieces. Luckily, there are several ways for starburst-loving souls to inject a little sparkle into their decor without having to enter a bidding war. Here’s our list of 10 ways you can easily add a little atomic twinkle to your home — using readily available reproduction hardware and decor as well as budget friendly paint treatments.
Atomic starburst hardware
1. If a vintage Nutone starburst doorbell is on your must-have list, but actually finding one is proving too difficult a task, check out our story: Doorbells for a mid century house including atomic starburst – all about the starburst doorbells now available from Rejuvenation.
2. Add even more dazzle to your mid century entry door with 5 styles of mid century modern front door backplates — including the coveted atomic star – also from Rejuvenation.
3. OUCH, this news is so hot we burnt our fingers – We announced just yesterday that Rejuvenation’s Perry line of atomic bathroom hardware (example above) is now out of production, only remaining stock is available. If you love the vintage Starline starburst bathroom hardware used in Kate’s retro pink bathroom, but don’t have the time or energy needed to seek out a vintage set of your own, Rejuvenation has dwindling stock available of their reproduction atomic star bathroom hardware in 5 coordinating pieces. Inventory is running out, so call Rejuvenation ASAP if you wanted any of the pieces in this line for your mid century home.
4. Want the starburst cabinet escutcheons instead? These reproduction chrome star backplate and knob combinations from Rejuvenation – great for a kitchen or bathroom — are very twinkly — assuming they are not also affected by the supplier issue. Note, though, we are waiting on confirmation from Rejuvenation whether these are affected by their supplier issue too — be aware; we fear the worst.
5. To make a big decor impact with starbursts, the sunray mirror is an all-time-favorite. Our story – 7 supersize sunburst mirrors – sources some of the biggest and best reproductions. An added bonus: Readers chime in with lots more starburst mirror source tips in the comments section. Note, Pam has the mirror above in her living room.
6. For an atomic starburst accessory that really shines, consider one of these stunning and relatively affordably priced Sputnik chandelier lights made today.
7. And who could forget the ever-popular vintage starburst wall clock. These can be found at thrift stores, estate sales, Ebay and Etsy, plus many new reproductions can be found at places like T.J. Maxx, Marshalls — even Home Depot.
8. If subtle starbursts are more your speed, these simply gorgeous Starburst tiles from Ann Sacks and Barbara Barry would make a perfect accent in a bathroom or kitchen backsplash. This just in — reader Jennifer has confirmed that Ann Sacks has discontinued this tile design. Drats.
9. As lovely as all of the above options are, sometimes our eyes are bigger than our budget. For just the cost of some metallic paint and a little of your time, these two starburst stencil projects for your bathroom — including a free pattern – can help you get that starstruck look for less.
10. For a similar budget-friendly idea with a little more atomic googie feel, try making painted “wallpaper” of vintage Franciscan starburst style googies with tips from reader Lora.
So there you have it folks — 10 ways to easily add a touch vintage starburst dazzle to your mid century decor.