$50 Thibaut wallpaper murals — 11 designs — get ‘em while you can

wallpaper muralYowza: Thibaut wall murals on sale for just $50 at Steve’s Blinds and Wallpaper (*affilate link). There are 11 different designs — most in several different color ways — many of them go back decades (these murals were super common from the 1950s through the 1970s, we’d say) — and they are on sale for more than 94% off. Yes, these are supposedly $850 retail murals. Limited quantities remain — could it be they are being discontinued by Thibault, and they’re clearing out their vaults?  Yikes: If you’ve been longing for some vintage style wallpaper mural action for that long lonely wall in your bedroom, dining room, living room, basement or den, now seems like the perfect time — the last time? — to score one — and for a steal. Thanks to reader Rhonda for this awesome tip.

wallpaper muralThe mural, above: Perhaps the most popular of all time — Memory Lane. It was installed in the LBJ Ranch in Texas — and President Johnson once addressed the nation on television with it in the background. Presidential provenance!

wallpaper mural wallpaper muralwallpaper mural wallpaper mural There are several different types of scenes available, from southern plantations to New England harbor views similar to the original nautical wallpaper murals found in this 1956 time capsule home and this 1960 time capsule gem in Laramie, Wyoming.

wallpaper muralwallpaper muralThese Japanese mountain scenes would be perfect in an Asian inspired midcentury home — like the original Oriental style wallpaper mural in this 1956 time capsule home. Hmmmm…. One of these might even work for a wall of that far eastern-themed tiki lounge you’ve been hoping to create.

wallpaper muralwallpaper mural wallpaper mural wallpaper mural wallpaper mural wallpaper mural wallpaper mural For those who like their flowers inside as well as outside, there are several color ways and styles showcasing artfully rendered botanical designs.

wallpaper muralwallpaper mural Need something to cover a bare wall in your Colonial style home? This charming, colorful wallpaper mural with hot air balloons could do the trick.

wallpaper muralwallpaper mural wallpaper muralEven Roman style columns and a distant island would be a welcome view in a room decorated in the Hollywood Regency style.

We’ll say it again. Yowza! Pam bought one for her master bedroom. Story to come. She wants to buy them all, she says. For her collection hoard. Alas, DH amused. Not one bit.

Get ‘em while the gettin’ is good:

See our other stories about wallpaper murals:

Comments

1. linda h says

Can’t wait to see Pam’s bedroom with mural. My dream bedroom would be the hotel room with the cherry blossom mural above the bed in the movie ” North by Northwest”.

2. midmichigan says

As you mentioned, Kate, these were very common, especially in restaurants and lobbies, like doctor offices where I lived. Some people had them in their dining rooms as well. I’m definitely going to check them out.

3. ineffablespace says

I just ordered Ch’Ing in grey and may order it in gold. Even if I paper closets with it, it will be great.

I had suggested Ships Haven to a client who had a similar mural in a bathroom that couldn’t be salvaged. At $850 it was a no go; maybe $50 will convince her

I am holding out for a Paul Montgomery Studios or DeGournay mural somewhere in my house.

4. Linda says

Very cool. My friends Aunt had a hunt scene mural in her dining room back in the 70’s and I loved it. I worked last year as a temp at York Wallcoverings and they still make and carry wall murals. Some stock closeouts but most are special order. And they aren’t really expensive once you understand how they are made.

• ineffablespace says

Not expensive at all considering that the typical non-repeating mural wallpaper is more along the lines of $850 a panel, and a full room mural (granted a much larger set of panels) can be $50K and up.

5. kelly brickey says

Thanks for the tip! Just ordered two different mountain scenes for our modest mid century house in the California desert. We’ve been working to play up the oriental vibe in this house, and these will really do the trick in the bedrooms. So excited!

6. amypie says

I just bought 2 of the Japanese (cause I couldn’t pick just one!) and one of the 5 panel floral. Like I don’t have enough projects (sigh)

7. Andrea says

Thank you for the tip! I just ordered the first one pictured on your blog. I can hardly wait to receive it!

8. Diane says

SOOooo happy! Now I just need a home to install it in…
    (and btw, while there was no tax or shipping, they charged me a $7.95 “handling fee” so my total was $57.94)

9. Mrs. Sugar says

Oh, fer cry-eye. Ordered all three of the Asian mountain scenes. Are they metallic? Can’t tell, but that would be delightful. Also picked the columns for the bedroom. Gonna have to break out the Oster Stim-U-Lax now.

Send me photos when you’re installed! I got one of the Asian mountain scenes too — the orange one. Also hoping there’s some metallic va-va-voom in it!

• Mrs. Sugar says

Will do, Pam. We have a two toned 60s grass-cloth combination in the hallways. Can’t wait to see these murals. Thanks for the tip. This will be the second mural purchase I have made because of you – the first was the birches from Eazywalls, which may have been a pop-up when I was doing mural research on your site. I owe you a picture of that room with our white leather convo pit.

10. Neil says

These would also be great mounted on a three or four paneled folding screen, which could be easy enough to make out of plywood and hinges, with a little decorative wood trim around the edges.
    Neil

11. Rebekah says

Thank you so much for the tip! I just ordered chinoiserie mural for our bedroom. I am so unbelievably excited! I have wanted one of these fabulous beauties for years. My grandmother had a cottage scene mural in her kitchen. It held so much fascination for me as a little girl. Oy Vey! I actually feel a few sniffles coming on. ( I have noticed that this has happened quite a lot as we re-un-remodel our mid century house. Crying over tchotchkes and paint swatches. :) )

12. Amelia says

So where are people finding the coupon code that lowers the price – one mural is showing up as $133 in the shopping cart for me!

• ineffablespace says

This happened to me and I put another one in the cart and took one out and it corrected itself. I think that’s what I did. But eventually it worked.

13. Annette Lamoreaux says

We recently visited the LBJ Ranch and saw the mural in the dining room. It is still quite striking and I immediately remembered it when I saw your post. We bought the ships for our breakfast room to replace a 70s redo . But I convinced my husband by saying “LBJ had one; we can, too! ” Thanks for the tip!

14. ineffablespace says

Sold out:
    Ch’Ing in all three colorways
    Hunting scene in both colorways
    Memory Lane in both colorways

• says

Yep. I got my email today saying there was no Ch’Ing left for me. I haz a sad! None of the ones that are left are really floating my boat.

15. Retro Newbie says

I had some money in my PayPal account that I had forgotten about. They sent me an email reminder, the email about the murals magically appeared and viola! I was the proud parent of the green and white tree featured above. Isn’t it nice when a plan comes together?
    My son and I will install this weekend. Thanks Pam for the great tip.

16. Christina says

I had ordered one of the Ch’Ing but then got an email they were out of stock- so we ordered the boat one for our rumpus room. I hope it works!! I got the balloon one too just in case. ha! Thanks for pointing this place out! :)

17. ineffablespace says

I got my first Ch’Ing mural today.

These are definitely new old stock with mummified rubber bands around the rolls. I unrolled one panel, and it’s much subtler and more elegant (?) than I was expecting. (This set is the pale gray, I also ordered black)

It seemed a bit kitschy in the small photos (which is fine), and I bought them more as a historical curiosity. But I think this will make a nice statement without any sense of irony about it.

18. David says

I ordered the marine mural. It arrived in the mail today. There were the four panels plus the extra rolls of plain paper, as described in the accompanying instructions for hanging. I’ve unrolled one of the panels: very handsome, obviously silk screened, not a photomechanical printing. My spouse and I are both very pleased.

We plan to hang (well, probably, have the professional wallpaper hanger we have worked with in the past hang) the panels in a downstairs bedroom.

Thanks, very much, for the tip and the link! I’ve been hankering after a mural like this for some while.

YAY, I need to open mine. Yes, the box says: Hand screened! Amazing! Be sure to take before during and after photos!!!!

I opened mine today. It was the butterscotchy colored Ch-Ing. It was absolutely stunning. I wish I’d hoarded them all! I also will use a pro to hang it, I would HATE to wreck it!

• ineffablespace says

I never got the Ch’Ing in black. Since I had placed the orders separately I got a phone call verifying that the second was not an accident, and they processed it, or so they told me. Actually they must not have done something right because they still had me as “supposed to be getting one” but it was never sent out to me, mine was sold to someone else, and obviously there is no more left. Oh well.

19. Schnitzelbank says

Super disappointed! I’ve been waiting, waiting, waiting for my mural to arrive. I called today (30 days later) to ask WTFrack.
    They sold out.
    Took my money.
    And were waiting for me to call and ask for a refund.
    For cry-eye, what lousy customer service!
    The CS agent was a snit on the phone, too.

• Schnitzelbank says

It was the black Japanese print. That’s sweet of you to offer… If it happens to be a match, what providence!
        (Btw, Pam- they said they emailed us to say it was outta stock…nope, checked Spam and all, nothing. Also doesn’t explain why they did not refund.)

• Schnitzelbank says

Diane!
            This is exciting, and perhaps a Retro Renovation Community Miracle!
            Wanna email? fraujoolie at googlemails
            !!
            !

Diane, you ROCK! Yay for RR community miracles! I have the beige ch’ing – it’s GORGEOUS. Schnitzel, you will love it!

• Diane says

I had just contacted Pam about finding a deserving home for it; I’m so happy the opportunity presented itself! (Schnitzelbank email is sent.)

• Schnitzelbank says

What a great community! Diane, a fellow Retro-Renovater, sent me her extra ch’ing! I’m beyond thrilled and humbled by how this resolved!

So— I take it, I need to use traditional paste to adhere this?

Our dining room has windows, alas. It’s either the living room or our office space. Hmmmmmmm….

I want to apologize for the delay in your refund and also to anyone who did not get the mural that they were wanting. We had such an incredible response thanks to Pam that orders were coming in faster than our inventory system could update the website. We have just completed a review of all orders to ensure that all refunds have been processed for customers who did not get their murals. If anyone should have any problems or questions regarding their mural orders, please do not hesitate to email me directly at bobbyt@stevesblinds.com.

Thank You for shopping at Steve’s Blinds.

Bobby Taylor