Save the Pink Bathrooms luv from realtor.com

dental-sinkOur quest to Save the Pink Bathrooms received another nice boost week, when realtor.com did a story, “Can the pink bathroom get a little love, please”. Heck to the yeah! Over on our Facebook page (where we posted a link), reader Ashleigh responded by showing off her pink-tiled vanity and lookie her rare and wonderful dental sink! The story inspired a bunch of new readers taking the Save the Pink Bathroom pledge. For example, Joy said:

Hey, what a totally nifty site to stumble across! In fact, I just now walked back into my bathroom to see if I could see all that pinkitude with new appreciation — and I already can! Wow, it even looks like I might be ahead of the fashion curve, if this color scheme really is making a comeback.

…. This, by the way, is not an early- or mid-century house or bungalow, but a New York City apartment. It’s in a building about 100 years old, of the so-called “old-world family” type, with quite large apartments. During the 50s and 60s as far as I can tell, the big 8 room (maybe more, if you count the maid’s room!!) apartments got divided up, and some bathrooms added. My bathroom, in fact, got carved out of part of the original kitchen. I guess they couldn’t resist the unremitting pink scheme!

I used to wish like anything I could afford to rip it all out. But, now — I’m getting some new appreciation for it already! So, I’m taking the pledge… and since reading this charming site, it’s not just because I can’t afford to do anything else about it! Thanks very much!

gladding-mcbean-tiles

Ashleigh’s also is quite special: Made by Gladding McBean — oooooh!

More pledges at Save the Pink Bathrooms:

vintage pink bathroom

Nanette and Jim built their pink bathroom from scratch, and their guests think it is original to their 1945 home.

Robert — owner of three pink pathrooms — said:

Although much of the house was renovated about 10 years ago, the wonderful, (mostly) thoughtful homeowners decided to leave the bathrooms (mostly) in tact. All 3 have the original pink tile; counter tops, bath and shower surrounds, and back-splashes. (Did I mention it continues into the kitchen?)

At first, I hesitated, I mean THREE PINK BATHROOMS? But I love ‘em and pledge to keep ‘em pink!

vintage pink bathroom

We advised reader Diane on what color to paint her vintage pink bathroom — and she surprised us by putting a Lilly Pulitzer spin on the space.

Kimber — an unremuddler — said:

I have a 1940s townhouse that was “updated” within the last 10 years. Everything is in nearly new condition, but I’m ripping a lot of it out and returning to the charm of yesteryear. I lucked upon a building material salvage company that had vintage pink tile: I paid $45 for 600 sq feet of it. So I guess I’m taking the pledge to save pink bathrooms!

vintage-pink-trailer-bathroom

Shelly and Greg spent days carefully removing white paint from the vintage pink bathroom in their 1958 Universal Terra Cruiser trailer — affectionately named “The Love Shack.”

Lisa — in a prewar mill house — said:

My 1938 mill house has pink tub, toilet and bath! I am currently ripping off 1980’s wallpaper border and then painting to accentuate the pink! My bath’s shade of pink has undertones mauve and brown. Thinking of chocolate brown on my walls! I am so happy that so many are committed to restoring and saving these old homes and styles! :)

pink black bathroom

Sarah and Steve chose to “embrace the pink” and use a black and white color scheme to refresh their vintage pink bathroom.

Kathie — yes, we will all become “retro” — said:

Well, it took time for me to become retro myself, but as I get older, I love the look of anything that matches my age. A few years ago, I would have looked at the retro style baths and kitchens and thought this needs a total reno. We’re currently house hunting for a vintage style home and would go for the jugular if anyone suggested such.

pink-bathroom-remodel-37

Mike and Lindsey freshened up their two pink bathrooms — taking one from French Provincial to modern and saving an estimated $14,000 by working with the pink in their master bathroom.

And this very encouraging report from house-shopping Libroslibra:

House shopping in a late 40’s/early 50’s neighborhood. Lots of pink bathrooms on offer!!!!!

Hip hip hudee ring hurray for the continued pink bathroom love! Long live the pink bathroom!

Take the pledge on Save The Pink Bathrooms

***

See all of our stories about pink bathrooms on Retro Renovation here

Comments

1. ModCodAli says

Awesome! I found this site myself a few months ago because we had just bought a house and I didn’t know what to do about the pink and blue bathrooms. A lot of people said ‘renovate!’ but my husband and I thought the vintage tile in both baths were so. cool. I’m so glad that I stumbled across this site.

There are a lot of vintage baths here in Richmond, VA, though not as many as there used to be. Every time I see a great midcentury house with a beige bathroom, I get sad.

2. Janet in ME says

Bravo to all who have saved a pink bathroom, or renovated to have one! My first house had a pink and black tiled bathroom, and I cringe when I remember we ripped it all out. That was in the late 70’s and SO out of style at the time! No-one was thinking retro then. My current 1958 ranch house has the sea blue bathroom and we are keeping it for sure. I envy our neighbor across the street who has a pink one! Next door to our first house, our neighbor had the reverse of the color scheme just featured; she had pink tile with mint green toilet and sink. She sold it last year to a young couple and when I stopped in to visit them, I was deeply saddened to see that the first thing they did was rip it out. They also removed the faux stone wall and the MCM étagère dividers in the living room. I could have cried. So I applaud all of you who restore your MCM bathrooms and keep up the good work. Loved these stories!

3. Andi says

We loved our 1952 pink bathroom at first sight when we bought our house 9 years ago. They must be catching on…last week my niece and her 28-year-old boyfriend stopped by. He had never been here before, and immediately and voluntarily pronounced the pink bathroom “totally cool.” The Pink Tide must be turning, with Pam’s crusade in the forefront!

4. Robin, NV says

Love pink bathrooms! But, Pam, we really need a spin-off club for those of us with other colors – Ming green lavender, regency blue, yellow, etc.

5. Mary Elizabeth says

So glad the “Save the Pink Bathroom” site is still gathering pledges! I was thinking from Janet’s comment that “dated” has always become “retro” in time. And yes, Pam, we understand that the “pink bathroom” is emblematic, representing all the mid-century modern features that homeowners are working to preserve, restore, and recreate.

What I’m wondering is whether anyone else’s mid-century home with a pink (or green or yellow or blue) bathroom or kitchen demands gifts from time to time? While I was on vacation, my lovely bathroom must have led me to a shop that had a petite pink swan planter in the exact colors of my tub, sink and toilet. I’ll send you a photo for the next download. Then our recently redesigned built-in storage wall in the bedroom must have been jealous, because I was working at a church tag sale and voila! the new wall wanted a Portuguese white swan, also a planter. Someone found where I had stashed it and brought it up to the check-out. I said, “Oh, I’m sorry, that’s been sold!” (Another person tried to buy the sweater I had taken off during the morning.) I’ve never collected swans, ever. So what is this phenomenon? There must be a name for it

• Mary Elizabeth says

Glad there is a name for it! It’s like when you have this strange symptom and you look it up on the internet and find out it’s called “polynonmelignaspottius,” and there are a whole bunch of other people who have it.

• tammyCA says

Ha, I started collecting some vintage swan vases & planters recently, too! I’m partial to the ceramic flamingos & was gonna stick with just them, but as I was cleaning out a cabinet recently I came across a little vintage pink swan vase I remember grabbing from dh’ uncle’s estate from a few years ago. Then I came across a large pink swan planter at the thrift store (not sure of its age..could even be ’80s, but it’s pretty & functional)..and well that’s how it starts..now a small flock is happening..I love ceramics too much! 🙂

• Mary Elizabeth says

Hm, I think the swans are earlier than the ’80s. It was pretty much geese and ducks by then. 🙂

To tell the truth, I wasn’t sure if the little planter I had was a swan or a flamingo. It has a swan-like neck but is too tall for a swan. When I asked my friend who was with me in the shop what she thought, she called it a “swamingo.” It’s very stylized. Unlike the Portuguese white swan, I don’t know what country it is from. The only identification it has is the number 104 imprinted on the bottom. Whatever. It looks perfect in the bathroom on the shelf over the potty where the cats can’t reach.

6. Renee says

My husband calls our 1959 bathroom tile, tub and sink pink, but after digging around your site I’d say it is more of a vintage peach. But close! We had a wonderful matching toilet but it was pulled about 8 years ago as we were told the parts were no longer available – wish I had known then what I know now…:-(

My question: I can’t find anywhere where you specifically address the problem of BEAT porcelain – particularly the tub. Finish is spent on the inside – and nothing remedies the grundge factor. Your site mentions someone that refinishes the ceramic – obviously out of the question for a tub. And replacing it would probably not be in the cards, either.

I feel I am only left with reglazing – which, from reading your comments, is not a great option for wear and tear. Are there any other options for me that I haven’t thought of? If I do have to reglaze, are they able to replicate colors? Would it be worth at least looking for a sink replacement vs reglazing (I believe it is a ’59 kohler – with the Buddee (?) band intact. I believe I can find a newer Kohler toilet in an almost-matching color – if I can’t find an original. Thanks!

7. Mary Elizabeth says

Hope this helps–first, see all the stories on this site about people’s experiences with redoing peach bathrooms, reglazing tubs, and buying new toilets in vintage styles and colors. Second, before giving up on the tub, get some Kohler Cast Iron Sink Cleaner. It may be that will take away the grunge and dullness, and then you can see for yourself if the finish is actually damaged. It performed miracles on my 1959 pink tub, which I ended up not having to replace.

Third, you can replace your tub and toilet with white or biscuit ones, and they will look very nice with the peach tile. You can still keep your sink wih the Hudee ring (that’s what it’s called–see also stories on this site), and you can purchase a Bemis toilet seat and match the color to your tiles.

If you do have to replace your tub, there may be some damage to the tile when you take it out. Work with a professional tile person who knows you want to preserve the old tile, and together you will be able to come up with a creative solution to that problem, whether it is finding an exact match to the tile or outlining the tub in a complementary color. All this stuff takes patience, and everyone on this site is part of a community of people who feel your pain and have been there/done that. Wishing you the best of luck!

• Renee says

Thank you! I have read some of the articles on redos – hence my concern about reglazing – obviously not optimal due to care factors, but in this case may be a last resort. Tub removal not an option. Love the old size. But thank you for the Kohler Sink Cleaner recommendation – it sure won’t hurt to start there.

Would prefer to stick with the peach sink/toilet/tub theme – I currently have biscuit for the toilet – peach would be way cooler.

Thanks so much for your help! This site is great – I am really learning a lot.

For three years I’ve wondered, DOES MY BATHROOM COUNT AS “PINK?” The wall tiles are definitely a light peach, but the toilet and the sink are a darker shade which looks pink against the peach, but if it were against a more classic pink tile instead, it would probably have the opposite effect and it would look more peach than pink. So I’m not sure!! I’d like to say I saved a pink bathroom, but might be out on a technicality. The stickers on the bottom of the sink probably date it from 1951 – 1967, but I’m not sure what the exact color is. Maybe coral? https://flic.kr/p/uwnVja

• Mary Elizabeth says

Hi, Amber Dawn! I am looking at the Bemis toilet seat color chart and your online photos. American Standard had two colors that your sink and toilet might be. One is called “Venetian Pink,” which is the same color as my 1959 bathroom and is right around the same age as your bath. The other color is in the same color range but a shade darker. It is called “Coralin.” If you have to replace your toilet, or if you need a new toilet seat, you would have a hard time telling them apart. You need to consult the color chart in person, but I think you could could order Venetian Pink (or Bahama Pink in some manufacturers), and no one would know that it didn’t match your other pieces.

But by the definition of Pink Bathrooms on this site, yours is definitely one!

• says

I took some more photos of our master bathroom today, and comparing them online, I think the color may be called Candlelyght. But Venetian Pink is VERY close. I took 4 colors and put them into one of my photos for closer comparison. https://flic.kr/p/uBD6fX

I like to think it’s pink, but really…..not exactly. Probably because I suspect it was built in the 60’s instead of the 50’s. The house was built in 1948, and the original bathroom is super tiny with white fixtures. Apparently it had AMAZING turquoise(?) Tile when it first debuted. Maybe someday we’ll tear out all the additional layers and let the original tile show, but it seems like a BIG project. My parents have several pedestal and wall-mount sinks (possibly even dental sinks) that the previous owners just tossed in the woods when they remodeled in the early 1980’s, so I’m gonna take one of those and use it to create some much-needed space.

Here’s the Original 1948 aqua(?) colored tile, if you look at the bottom below the mint green paint. https://flic.kr/p/uzjind I wish I knew what it looked like before it was renovated!

9. kathleen says

Pink and black bathrooms come from Mamie Eisenhower putting one in the White House in the private quarters.

10. Wendy K says

So glad to see realtor.com doing a feature on the pink bathroom. Also, they had a feature on those who don’t like the open kitchen concept. I could relate to that, too!! So glad there are so many of us not sucked in to a trend!!!

My sister in law wants to paint her pink tiles and change out the pink sink and tub. I have seen the tiles painted with a paint designed for them. I love the pink and and any color vintage baths really. I have a mint green and a cool blue.
    Not gonna change it at all.

12. mikey Renn says

I love pink retro bathrooms- and kitchens. Right now I am looking at housing in the Youngstown, OH area and there are tons of midcentury and earlier homes on the market- with lots and lots of pink bathrooms! And all for under $50,000. Just type in Homes for sale and any city up in that area and go to the real estate sites- it’s so fun to look at all those pink bathrooms nobody knows about!

13. Myra Horn says

Two years ago my identical twin sis and I bought a 1962 rancher. To our chagrin, baths had been totally remodeled to current “bleige” trend – white and beige equals blah/beige, bleige, to us. Wish the baths had been left alone cause they must have been pink or turquoise or seafoam green, betcha. Wish we had the money and ability to take them back to what they were meant to be. We love being together again as Medicare-card-carrying oldies and spending the rest of our days together. We also love, love, love this website!!!!! Keep the retro coming!