Thibaut nautical wallpaper mural — a wonderful addition to Chris’ dining room

wallpaper muralReader Chris, a real estate agent, constantly sees vintage wall murals in the time capsule homes he sells, and he has been wishing for his own for a while. So, like many other readers, he jumped on all the Thibaut wall murals on closeout for $50 each when we published that story a year ago. Chris recently had his nautical “Ships Haven” mural installed. Wow — it looks wonderful!

wallpaper muralChris writes:

I am in real estate and I see these awesome murals in the time capsule houses that come to market. You know, the ones preserved by neglect. I always wish I could pull them off the wall and take them home with me, which of course is not possible.

I was online one day searching and searching for wall murals and came across Retro Renovation. I saw that Thibaut was clearing out their stock of these vintage murals, and this was all they had left. I was hoping for one of the more rural scenes, but actually I am glad I got the nautical scene — I love it!

wallpaper mural

I got very lucky that I didn’t have to repaint my dining room. The ship in the mural is basically the same color as the room so it worked out great!

Chris, that wallpaper mural really makes your dining room feel special, and it seems to me that it fits the space perfectly. Thanks so much for sharing your photos with us.

Readers:
Who else has installed their Thibaut mural?
We know RR-ers bought them all —
Steve’s Wallpaper told Pam it was a frenzy!
Send your pics! Send your pics!

Comments

1. Janet in ME says

It looks fabulous! What a perfect spot for it and even your furniture looks just right with it! So glad you shared it with us.

2. Geronimom says

Wow, Chris – that’s so beautiful! I can just imagine a group of all your nearest and dearest sitting down to enjoy a Thanksgiving feast at that table with the lovely backdrop scene of that mural presiding gloriously in the background. That, too, was the mural I ended up with (still deciding on the perfect spot for it) – Very happy to know just how lovely it can look!

3. Robin, NV says

The mural looks great! The nautical theme works really well with Chris’s decor. I’ve been eyeing an Oriental themed mural on ebay for a while. It’s not vintage but the watercolor-y look of it makes it look like something you might see in an older installation. Maybe I’ll take the plunge and finally buy it!

4. mrsx says

Wow – fabulous! I’ve long admired them in others’ homes! Would love to install one but my dining room lacks the unbroken wall space. Will continue to live vicariously through others who cherish!

5. Chris says

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! I am definitely looking forward to Christmas Eve when the whole extended family descends for wine and appetizers. 🙂

6. Sarah Middleton says

Really nice to see the mural up and actively lovely,
    Well done!
    Wanted to alert readers to a spread in this October 2015 issue of “Allure” magazine, a fashion shoot, 8 sumptuous pages, in collector Cullen Meyer’s Brooklyn pad. You profiled this space here in Retro Renovation several years ago.
    Seeing it again, stuffed with vintage collections, retro furniture and now elegantly clad models (plus, the set dressers raided a bakery from the looks of it!) it is just as exciting as ever, and proves again that making your home as you like it and love it makes it exciting and memorable for everybody lucky enough to visit it!

7. Joe Felice says

I had a full-length mural once. It was great until there was a pipe leak & the wall had to be cut. Then, just try to find the mural ever again! I dare you! The contractor patched as best he could, but my eye was always drawn to that spot and to the mismatched popcorn on the ceiling whenever I entered the room. Don’t you just hate when that happens? (And the insurance company was willing to buy me an entirely-new mural!)

8. Mary Elizabeth says

Chris, what a good job! With that nautical scene, your round mural looks like a reference to portholes. And the built-ins look like those favored by 19th-century ship captains in their New England homes.

I am hoping the wallpaper mural comes back as a decorating option and that Joe can replace his with something new and exciting.

• Ed says

I’m looking at a couple of retailers online, thinking a tropical beach scene in my bar may be just the thing to cheer up dreary winter days. Since I’m renting, I’ll mount it on removable panels, I’m eyeing some 4’x8’x2″ insulation panels at the local home improvement store. They seem like they should be rigid enough, just cut them to height and wedge them against the wall.

9. Jay says

Wow! How nice. The mural really sets off the dining room and looks like it was meant to be in that spot from the day the house the house was built, the nautical theme suits the Tudor style of the room. Enjoy it and thanks for sharing.

10. ineffablespace says

I designed a set of closet doors specifically to take the Ch’Ing mural, but I am still not 100% sure it will work.

The doors ended up having to be 27-odd inches, and the panel width is 28″ so I may lose some image in the center panels. The image starts 30″ from the bottom of the roll, so it will start about 35″ from the floor, and may visually seem a little low. It’s meant to look like a screen so it might be ok.

11. Carol says

Sadly, I’ve never been a fan of murals but WOW! Your dining room is so traditional with wonderful character, and this mural makes it feel like an 18th century manse on the Hudson. It makes the whole room and that space was screaming for it. Now I really love these murals in a traditional setting. Well done Chris.