Dozens of samples of vintage laminates from six companies in France: Celamine, Dilophane, Formica, Permalux, Plattan Perstorp, and Polyrey

retro formica francepermalux zig zagOh my word: Dozens of vintage laminate samples from five companies in France. Formica is the big name, but we also get to see designs from Celamine, Dilophane, Permalux, Plattan Perstorp (or is it Perstorp Plattan?), and Polyrey. Ebay seller rclark8449 generously gave me permission to grab the photos for our historical archive. He told me:

Hi Pam

I found these in a French village Vide Grenier they came from a hardware store so the vender told me.

All the best, Richard

SO FANTASTIC to see designs that, I presume, were designed and sold only in Europe. We want we want we want more designs like these back in the marketplace today!

The listings ended Sunday, and only one chain of samples seems to have sold.

Following are some of the overview shots… then, scroll down to the Gallery to see some closeups of these delicious designs.

formica from franceformica vintagefrance formica vintagefrench formica designsgraphic design formica francepermalux zig zagpermalux laminatepolyrey laminate

Link love:

Which is your new favorite?

Tips to view the slide show, click on any image … it should enlarge on your screen … use the back or forward arrows to move back or forth … hit Esc to exit … you can start or stop anywhere.

Comments

1. Barbara says

Hi!
    I’m crazy about the color turquoise/teal.
    Also, the MGM design.

I have 20 GE kitchen cabinets just waiting
    to be placed on my walls. And, a 1953 Roper 8 burner stove to be cooked on. Looks like it’s going to a very exciting/fun winter and spring.

My barkcloth fabric I bought is in the MGM design. 9 yards of this beautiful material. Yeah, 9 yards! The colors in my fabric are: turquoise/teal, hot pink, light pink, gray, chocolate brown, black and white. Very busy drapes I will see when I hang them up.

So, my chrome and Formica 50’s table needs a face lift. Looking at the laminate samples you posted today are wonder. However, with me, looking at pictures online makes it difficult for me to see the true colors. Nothing like having samples in front of you. From the design and colors I mentioned, where do you think I should start with these samples you posted!

Thanks!

p.s. Your suggestions are very much appreciated.

These are all vintage – no longer available today. For all our research on retro-style laminates available today see our subcategory Kitchens/Countertops — we have lots of research.

• jenny says

you could use any of these as inspiration for a custom made laminate at wilson art +me. you could create the camera ready art in illustrator or pay a graphic designer to do it for you.

What eyepopping graphics! Do I have to pick just one? I’m kind of jealous that homeowners had such a lot of choices then. The laminates still look fresh and playful, which is a testament to the talents of the designers. I love the pink and blue rose patterns-so witty and charming. The stylized utensil pattern in orange and blue colorways is very stylish, and that Holiday Turquoise and Yellow block laminate is lovely. It would look so great with aqua steel kitchen cabinets. Great post. Hopefully it will inspire modern designers to take some risks.

• Carolyn says

I’m a little jealous too. Were there that many designs that haven’t made it to now or did Europe have way more and better choices? OK, don’t mean to sound dumb but where was all this formica used? Countertops, backsplashes, and tabletops I know – bathroom (my 1959 Liberty travel trailer has formica walls) or other walls? Would price and income level have been a factor in the initial purchase? And then new owners saw the design as “dated” and tossed it?

3. Carol says

I love every single sample. That’s very unusual for me, but these samples are unique. The cadence and hi-fi patterns are in fabric for sale now. I’ve seen them when searching for retro fabric. I looked at about 7 sources I found on Google. Pam did a story on where to buy barkcloth, and Cloud9 has something similar to the cadence with silver and gold on white. Sorry I can’t be more precise, but I perused for hours and hours when I saw them. I think I was looking for Ikat fabric at the same time. I have a Winnie that needs curtains.

• Sheri says

WOW! Those are great, so colorful, not the boring imitation stone looking ones we have here! Every time I look at laminate samples here at the big box stores, I sigh and move on.

4. Karen says

This tile listing was farther down and has been sold but the photos are still available for viewing: Tres unique
    Original Vintage Formica samples design 1950s camargue cyclade les oiseaux vatel

Richard also has some great vintage lighting fixtures and radios.

5. Marie Gamalski says

WOW!!! Not sure what to say… I love them and they’re fun but, not sure about 10ft of that much pattern… Great colors though

I LOVE these! But I really wish they weren’t already sold. I with they would reproduce this like they do the fabrics. Since these were mid-century is there a chance they have asbestos or lead in them? That’s why I’d really like to see them reproduced.