Stainless steel sink, counter, drainboard combo’s are classic 40s 50s 60s retro kitchen choices

This ad from 1953 spotlights the Elkay Lustertone sink/countertop/drainboard combo. You can still get these today – and they are an awesome choice if you can make it work with your cabinetry and layout. Stainless steel is a great surface to work on and to be sure, when you’re moving dishes into and out of the sink, it’s great to have a waterproof surfaces to the right and left.

s7219-elka-lusterton.jpg<—- This Elkay Lustertone sinktop is almost identical (albeit a single-bowl) to the one above. It would look great butted up next to stainless-steel trimmed laminate. And don’t forget to put a slab of butcher block nearby.

lustertone-ilr6622dd-v2.jpg <—- This second choice has a double bowl and can be set directly into laminate (no countertop edge) or onto another countertop material like granite (argh).

lustertone-d7234.jpgAnd this one —-> combines double bowl with edging although I’d need to find out if that super bright surface is for real – I don’t like it.

Overall: It seems like the best choice may be #1, if you can live with the single bowl.

I have numerous posts on countertops – they are all worth reading to put together your own plan, if I say so myself!

elkay-lustertone-1.jpg<—- BTW, notice in the 1953 design how the grey steel kitchen cabinet is married with the colonial pine. Very typical of the era.

// ]]>

  1. Marti Hall-Powers says:

    What if you don’t have room for a double sink. My sink which needs to be replaced is 24″: and that is as big as I can do

  2. Lisa says:

    I’ve got a big one of these (not sure of the manufacturer) sitting in my basement. It was a gift from a relative who redid their kitchen. We’d love to install it but it’s seen a lot of use over the years and I don’t know how to bring it back.
    Can you suggest any methods/cleaners/ etc. to get some of the fine scratches out. I’m thinking maybe a soft scrub and a buffer?
    Thanks for any ideas!

  3. Pat says:

    Oh my, we have one of those in the house we just bought, has the drainboard on just one side. It’s part of a built in with tin cupboard underneath. I really don’t care for it amongst my 1920’s wood cupboards, I really would love a sink that they call farmhouse style, but there isn’t room for it since they added a dishwasher under it (removed a cupboard).
    I am really a 30’s, 40’s era vintage lover! The dishwasher is sorta vintage (and pretty cool), a 1970’s Kitchen Aid. I rather like it, it’s cooler than a new one anyway!

    1. Pam Kueber says:

      Pat, those 60s-70s-80s Kitchenaids were THE BEST! Visually, at least, I love their look. I don’t know about their quality – but they certainly seem to held up in many places!

  4. David Conwill says:

    We are in the process of buying a turn-of-the-century home with a mid-century modern kitchen, bath, and enclosed porch. We’d like to retain these elements as we go about restoring the place. We have one of the Elkay Lustertone two-bowl sinks illustrated in this post. Is there any way, such as a serial number, to place a more-specific date on it?

    1. Pam Kueber says:

      Welcome, David, and congratulations on your purchase! My advise re your Elkay sink: Contact them directly. The company still exists, and still makes these style sinks. We look forward to seeing photos of your house when you get in!

  5. 50sPam says:

    Ah! I’ll look it up! There is no Ikea close to where I live so it is not a resource I can access easily.

Comments are closed.