S

Stainless steel metal edging for your laminate countertop

I am updating this Retro Renovation “Classic” post for Tiel, her husband, and all readers looking for classic 50s and 60s metal countertop edging. Trust me – this is the real deal:

My husband hunted down the only place left — in Astoria, Queens — that still made the exact stainless steel edging on 50s and 60s countertops. Our countertop installers installed this very easily and successfully on our new laminate countertops.

Go to newyorkmetal.com to order this. Here are the exact pieces that you need:

1. Stainless steel “snap-on” edging – 1-5/8″:

2. For the top of the backsplash #SS801A in 1″ profile:

snap-on-backsplash-molding
Same PROFILE as the countertop edge, but in 1″.

3. There are several products to help you do the little piece that goes in between these two where they meet at 90-degree angles:

Re the cove: This is the one I used, but there are other designs that also look like they would do the trick just fine.

4. Note, my experience was that there was a gulp! core shipping charge – because the edging comes in 12′ strips, it must go freight. Well worth it, in the long run (no pun intended)!

Here are close ups of how this stuff comes together.

Again, where to get stainless steel kitchen countertop edging, like I used in my kitchen:

1. Rebecca Prichard says:

Thanks again Pam for all your work. This kitchen dude I am talking to said he could only find 3/4 inch, which sounds small! Now I can send him this.

2. Bruce Curtis says:

Hi there. I am the “kitchen dude” Rebecca is speaking of. I checked with metal suppliers locally in Michigan and found nothing. Outwater Plastics has the 3/4″ thick edging in their catalog- same deal- the pieces are 12′ long. I called them and they do not have the 1 5/8″ stuff.

Nice web site. Thanks for all of the useful info.

Bruce Curtis
    Washtenaw Woodwrights Inc.
    Ann Arbor, Michigan

3. Lauryn says:

Hi Pam. Thanks so much for all the great information on your website … I found you while looking for information on cracked ice laminates. I have two questions regarding the stainless steel edging. Our house is from 1939 and we are trying to keep the spirit of the time period intact (it still has the original cabinets!) while increasing the (very tiny) kitchen’s functionality. Would that type of stainless steel edging have been used in the late 30s? We have chosen a “retro” satin nickel hardware from Hickory Hardware that matches the tone of the more subdued paint colors from that era and my second concern is whether the satin nickel hardware would look strange or out of place with the stainless steel edging. (We are somewhat attached to the hardware as it looks gorgeous with the paint we have chosen.) And I suppose while I’m at, what are your thoughts on a linoleum countertop vs. the cracked ice, in regards to the era of the kitchen?

1. pam kueber says:

Lauryn, the other edging to consider is ribbed aluminum. That may have a less-shiny look, which you may prefer. Check NYMetals, as well as Outwater Plastics. Depending on where you live you may be able to get Outwater stock locally. I need to do a post about them.

1. Lauryn says:

Thanks, Pam! Your website really is such a great resource, and much appreciated by folks like me. I called NYMetals to get a sample and will look into Outwater Plastics. I prefer the non-ribbed edging, just wasn’t sure if it was used much in the 30s. Love Dave and Francis’s kitchen (and house)! Many thanks again.

4. Deborah says:

OH! Thank you for this information. I am in the beginning stages of a renovation of my late 1950’s St. Charles kitchen with “bittersweet” colored cabinets and gold fleck laminate. The stainless steel edging (and I have a LOT of it) was one of my biggest worries!

5. Peg says:

As I hunt for vintage/retro fixtures for my mid-1950s rustic ranch house, I’ve happily found myself at your site several times. Although the previous owners maintained the house very well, I’m lucky they did little redecoration in the last 35 years, so there are a lot of fixtures in pristine condition from the ’50s-’70s that I’ve kept and am working around (people comment on the cool ’50s reproduction handles on the kitchen cabinets; the handles and cabinets are original). I’m hunting for retro laminate for my kitchen countertops, ideally boomerang; otherwise, I’ll probably go with Pionite Suede in Orville or Summer Heat Wave. A local distributor thinks she may be able to get some coral boomerang for me, so fingers crossed!

Meanwhile, a comment about metal edging for vintage/retro countertops. We sold my parents’ mid-1950s house a few years ago, which still had a lot of original fixtures, including boomerang countertops in the kitchen and bathroom (white with pink and gray in the kitchen, white with pink and green in the bathroom). They had metal edging in the crease between the countertop and backsplash; however, the front of the counters and top of the backsplashes were edged with laminate, not metal. Just wanted to mention this because, depending on the style of house (this one was a California-style ranch house), it could also be historically accurate to do the laminate edging instead of metal.

Of course, if I had known I’d buy a mid-’50s ranch house myself a few years later (after growing up in a ’50s ranch house, I wanted a Cape Cod), I would’ve pulled out the boomerang counters and used them myself; however, they were a big selling point for the buyers, so I guess everything worked out as it was supposed to.

1. pam kueber says:

Welcome, Peg. What fun it sounds like you are having! Send me pics when you are ready for prime time. I trust you have seen all my posts about potential laminates in Kitchens / Countertops category.

6. Debra says:

We are getting ready to replace our kitchen & laundry room counters with laminate & metal edging! Thank you for the wealth of information you supply. When all the rest of the reno world wants granite and marble etc. your encoragement to stay true to the mid century vibe is appreciated! Does anyone know of a local supplier for the metal edging in the Houston, TX area? Thanks again Pam!

1. Lisa says:

Hi, I’m in the midst of my kitchen reno for our midcentury home. Did you find a place that will do the stainless steel edging in Houston? Thanks for any input you could give me.

7. Anne Proulx says:

Getting ready to install our ‘boomerang’ formica in our new retro kitchen. In fact, at the top of your website is the exact formica we picked! My contractor will be ordering the edging – may I please have a phone number in order for him to contact you folks directly.

Thanks so much.

8. Ann says:

My parents built their Cape Cod style house in 1956-it had this same type of countertops/4inch backsplash in a light gray speckle metallic laminate. I remember the ss edging on the counters had a track with a black rubber ribbed strip that could be popped in and out that covered the nails/screws used to attach the edging to the counter. The ?laminate? counter edges minimally inserted into the channels of the back of the edging. Cabinets were white birch with clear varnish. Little did my parents understand that 50yrs later their kitchen could look cutting edge. Which is why they remodeled and made it all much worse. What amazed me was the countertop material was still in perfect condition-I know it was a laminate but it always seemed metallic to me. Danish modern stainless steel ahead of its time!

9. Mitch says:

I am desperately looking to the metal edging with the black rubber insert that covers the screws………..where can I find the stuff.

10. Michael says:

I have this laminate countertop in white with the ss edging, along with a bunch of other things that I’m looking to replace. If anyone is looking for items that are circa 1940s-1960s here’s what I have…Cast iron Gas range x 2, Cast iron bathroom sink, 14 foot Laminate countertop in white w/ speckles with ss edge.

1. Mitch says:

I guess I wrote my post wrong……..i need the ribbed rubber insert that went into the aluminum channel for my formica counter tops……it was usually black, with small ribs, and stinky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Melissa says:

Hi Pam – I need help figuring out how to install stainless counters over St Charles and GE metal cabinets. Do you have any posts on how to prep the cabinets once you’ve lined them all up where they are supposed to be? Do you need to install a plywood top or pieces of wood to connect them to each other. We’ve assembled most of the metal cabinets for our kitchen. They all seem to fit – but then my husband saw them and said how on earth do you attach them to each other and attach a counter to them? We’re going with a fairly heavy stainless counter — will the st. Charles cabinets be strong enough to hold them? Our GE cabinets will clearly be strong enough. If you have any install advice on countertops that would be great! Thanks for all your advice!

1. Melissa says:

When you did your kitchen did you attach the cabinets to each other? To the countertop? I’m just trying to figure out the next step. The contractors I’ve spoken to in Los Angeles to rebuild my house after a fire won’t touch these cabinets. They say they won’t ‘work’ and will cost 10k+ Just to install. Did they ever come with install instructions? Or maybe do u know anyone in the Los Angeles area who has used vintage cabinets and managed to put a countertop on them? And I’m sorry I think i’ve Posted in the wrong place, but I’m not sure how to move it …