S

Stainless steel metal edging for your laminate countertop

I am updating this Retro Renovation “Classic” post for Tiel, her husband, and all readers looking for classic 50s and 60s metal countertop edging. Trust me – this is the real deal:

My husband hunted down the only place left — in Astoria, Queens — that still made the exact stainless steel edging on 50s and 60s countertops. Our countertop installers installed this very easily and successfully on our new laminate countertops.

Go to newyorkmetal.com to order this. Here are the exact pieces that you need:

1. Stainless steel “snap-on” edging – 1-5/8″:

2. For the top of the backsplash #SS801A in 1″ profile:

snap-on-backsplash-molding
Same PROFILE as the countertop edge, but in 1″.

3. There are several products to help you do the little piece that goes in between these two where they meet at 90-degree angles:

Re the cove: This is the one I used, but there are other designs that also look like they would do the trick just fine.

4. Note, my experience was that there was a gulp! core shipping charge – because the edging comes in 12′ strips, it must go freight. Well worth it, in the long run (no pun intended)!

Here are close ups of how this stuff comes together.

Again, where to get stainless steel kitchen countertop edging, like I used in my kitchen:

1. Ann says:

My parents built their Cape Cod style house in 1956-it had this same type of countertops/4inch backsplash in a light gray speckle metallic laminate. I remember the ss edging on the counters had a track with a black rubber ribbed strip that could be popped in and out that covered the nails/screws used to attach the edging to the counter. The ?laminate? counter edges minimally inserted into the channels of the back of the edging. Cabinets were white birch with clear varnish. Little did my parents understand that 50yrs later their kitchen could look cutting edge. Which is why they remodeled and made it all much worse. What amazed me was the countertop material was still in perfect condition-I know it was a laminate but it always seemed metallic to me. Danish modern stainless steel ahead of its time!

2. Mitch says:

I am desperately looking to the metal edging with the black rubber insert that covers the screws………..where can I find the stuff.

3. Michael says:

I have this laminate countertop in white with the ss edging, along with a bunch of other things that I’m looking to replace. If anyone is looking for items that are circa 1940s-1960s here’s what I have…Cast iron Gas range x 2, Cast iron bathroom sink, 14 foot Laminate countertop in white w/ speckles with ss edge.

4. Mitch says:

I guess I wrote my post wrong……..i need the ribbed rubber insert that went into the aluminum channel for my formica counter tops……it was usually black, with small ribs, and stinky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Lisa says:

Hi, I’m in the midst of my kitchen reno for our midcentury home. Did you find a place that will do the stainless steel edging in Houston? Thanks for any input you could give me.

6. Melissa says:

Hi Pam – I need help figuring out how to install stainless counters over St Charles and GE metal cabinets. Do you have any posts on how to prep the cabinets once you’ve lined them all up where they are supposed to be? Do you need to install a plywood top or pieces of wood to connect them to each other. We’ve assembled most of the metal cabinets for our kitchen. They all seem to fit – but then my husband saw them and said how on earth do you attach them to each other and attach a counter to them? We’re going with a fairly heavy stainless counter — will the st. Charles cabinets be strong enough to hold them? Our GE cabinets will clearly be strong enough. If you have any install advice on countertops that would be great! Thanks for all your advice!

7. Melissa says:

When you did your kitchen did you attach the cabinets to each other? To the countertop? I’m just trying to figure out the next step. The contractors I’ve spoken to in Los Angeles to rebuild my house after a fire won’t touch these cabinets. They say they won’t ‘work’ and will cost 10k+ Just to install. Did they ever come with install instructions? Or maybe do u know anyone in the Los Angeles area who has used vintage cabinets and managed to put a countertop on them? And I’m sorry I think i’ve Posted in the wrong place, but I’m not sure how to move it …