Added yesterday to the Postwar Steel Kitchens Forum archives: This wonderful image of 1954 Murray steel kitchen cabinets, Scranton, PA. Notice the cabinet pulls – these seem to be the distinguishing characteristic, along with what appear to be protruding drawer units.  Colors available in ’54: Golden West Yellow, Ranch Green, Horizon Blue, Mist Gray, white, and stainless steel. Colored cabinet handles to match! Also, what a nifty cabinet-top oven!

And from their copy: “…Achieve new, colorful built-in glamour.” Note the emphasis on built-in…recall, until the postwar era, the idea of built-in, “fitted” kitchens was a magazine fantasty… in the wake of the war — crystallized into the American Dream Kitchen.

1. Lisa says:

I am thinking about refinishing metal cabinets in the home I will be purchasing. Does anyone have any suggestions? Currently the cabinets are white. I am debating whether to tear them out and start with new cabinets or refinish. Any tips would be great!

2. pam kueber says:

Hi Lisa, this is not really a DIY self, but we do have some posts from readers and their experiences having their vintage metal kitchen cabinets refinished. Use the Search box – or go to Categories/Kitchen/Steel Kitchen Cabinets – you will find the posts there.

3. Roger says:

I have 1970 style flat kitchen doors and drawers. Can I just buy new cabinet doors with some personality vs plain? Can the existing ones be milled or plained if I take them off. This is a fixer upper and I don’t want to spend a lot on this. Any suggestions, Thanks, Roger

4. Vanessa says:

We are selling my grandparents’ home in El Paso, Texas that has original Murray steel cabinetry, upper and lower, in white and in great condition. I’m worried the purchaser will tear out and take them to the junk yard. Does anyone know refinishers or vintage cabinetry resellers who might want them? We mostly just don’t want them to be trashed. El Paso doesn’t have a habitat for humanity re-store or we would take them there.

5. Mitch says:

I just bought a 1954 mid-century modern home with white Murray cabinets. I love them!!! They are so unique and we are receiving compliments from everyone who sees them. In fact, we will remodel around the cabinets.
    You have to learn a new way of storing things. The deep drawers allow for you to store mugs, corning ware, and appliances that used to be in cabinets.

6. JR says:

I have remodeled a c. 1870 cottage that came with a 1954 Murray cabinet with sink(double bowl with drain boards both sides) in white on metal. Just had the cabinet refinished by a car restorer who stripped to the medal and sprayed 6 coats of white. It is handsome! Looking good in Athens, AL!

7. Stephanie says:

Thanks for this post. Hard to find any information about these steel cabinets. I have the Murray steel cabinets model FA91 in white in my kitchen with the double draining board sink as well. My house turned 100 this year. One of the cabinets is missing the latch to keep the cabinet closed but I don’t suppose I will find a replacement for it.