60s-timeline-from-la-conservancy

The 1960s are poised to turn 50…and to mark the anniversary the LA Conservancy has created a website spotlighting architecture and history of the period in the city, and is also running educational programs through the year.

Their timeline of 1960s events (with a focus on Southern California) is terrific… and a great reminder of the milestone events we often talk about here. Like the release of the movie Gidget! One of the things that the website points out, is that the 50-year mark is generally when properties can be considered for the National Register of Historic Places. But as we’ve also discussed just recently — around the 50-year mark can be a dangerous point for old homes and structures. The mass of the public still may not “get it” when it comes to whether and why to appreciate certain features… homes are switching hands…and a lot of gutting is done that, later, leads to clear outpourings of regret. Time definitely provides perspective — and there is just barely the minimum amount of time behind us to be able to see mid-century homes “clearly.”

LA Conservency’s The Sixties Turn 5o site here.

1. pam kueber says:

I had one, too, Gavin: Schwinn, deep grape purple, sparkly banana set also in deep purple. These bikes are worth a small fortune now. I also loved the Monkees; preferred them over the Beatles. 🙂

2. BungalowBILL says:

I had a red Stingray with a white banana seat. I looked so cool ( I thought) riding it in my Peter Max bell bottoms, purple shirt and metal peace sign medallion around my neck. I could have jumped right onto the Partridge Family bus. Oh, and my sister took me to my first rock concert. It was the Osmonds! ( Don’t forget the 60’s had the first episodes of a Charlie Brown Christmas, 1965 and How the Grinch Stole Christmas 1966)

3. pam kueber says:

BungalowBill, you gotta get us a pic from the family archives. OMG, Peter Max bellbottoms – I am sure I had those too! I actually have a Saved Search on Vintage Peter Max. The sneakers in great shape go for a couple hundred dollars.

4. gavin hastings says:

Pam-were you one of those 4th graders sent off to school in a mini-skirt and lime green fishnets?…I just shake my head when I think of the 1960’s…..

5. pam kueber says:

Gavin, though 6th grade, girls were not allowed to wear pants/slacks to school. And this was public school in groovy southern California. There was a dress code – dresses only.

6. gavin hastings says:

Oh..but fishnets!
    I just remember a classroom of orange/lime or yellow legs.
    All the girls limbs complimented their “Foot-sie”‘s. or whatever those hoop, cord and bell things were called.
    Thank God we moved on to “Klackers” , until they got confiscated!

7. pam kueber says:

oh my, Klackers. Now there’s something that I haven’t thought about in like 40 years. Of course I had fishnets.

8. frank says:

I had Klackers too. Talk about a plaintiff’s attorney’s dream. They remind me of the large glass grapes that sat on our living room coffee table. These grapes were popular because a lot my friends’ parents had them in their living room tables as well. The grapes remind me of the small circle and square velvet couch pillows with four button tufts that were also on most living room couches.

9. pam kueber says:

I actually have a Klackers story. When I was in the 5th grade at Monte Vista Elementary School in Vista, California — 1967-8, I remember the year because I was a Humphrey supporter — I got my first and only “pink slip” one recess because someone was throwing a ball up against this hilly thing that bordered the playground…I tried to retrieve it by throwing my Klacker at it, hoping to dislodge it…a recess Mom thought I was doing something untoward so she gave me a pink slip. It was very traumatizing as I was a perfect child.

10. BungalowBILL says:

In my part of the world they were called Kiick Klacks. Had the 2 black and blue spots on my arm, one above the wrist and another further up the forearm from when I missed the Klick and those hard glass balls bit my arm. You could do a whole post on fun toys that could hurt you. I think my mom bought them all for me. Booby Trap, a piece of wood held back with a spring that et go and would crush your fingers, Creepy Crawlers with the all metal electric stove to cook the Goop, guns that shot darts with suction cups ( that also worked really great with my moms knitting needles)…

11. pam kueber says:

Ok. First person to send me a picture of a vintage set of Klackers or Kiick Klacks wins a prize to be determined by me. Must be over 14. Must be U.S. citizen located in U.S. retrorenovation [at] gmail [dot] com

12. Martha says:

Oh those Klackers! I’m a 1963 baby and had a set of Klackers when I was seven. They were a beautiful clear pink. That’s all I wanted to play with throughout the second grade. Wish I had a picture of them.

13. pam kueber says:

Very good, Frank. Send me your address, okay?

Lawn darts: I actually impaled my brother on the leg with one of these. I was….in 3rd grade, he was in 2nd probably. Hmmm. My childhood memories are more interesting than I remembered.

Okay, and on the klackers, I am still interested in more photos including one I can actually show on the homepage some time. So…the photo would have to “belong” to the contributor.

14. Jean says:

Hi everyone,
    I look back at the 60s with much feeling, good and bad. I was born in 1955 into a large Italian family who went to my Grandmothers EVERY Sunday. My parents would visit with my Aunts and Uncles and we kids would play outside. Such good memories. But I think the downside of the 60s was what happened socially in our country and it seems to have been evolving downward ever since. I yearn for the days when we could let our kids out to play and not worry, a parent was home with the kids, we didn’t have enormous houses and multiple expensive cars, etc,etc. We’ve evolved in ways that I don’t think are necessarily that great . Oh well, call me a dreamer. I’d love for the silliness and fun of lime green fishnet days.