Updated Jan. 2019: I thought I lost the video when I accidentally deleted it on my youtube channel — but then I found it on my old vimeo channel — woot!

Retro Renovation TV is up and running, and here is my first video. Actually, it is the first in a three-part series, spotlighting my blue bathroom renovation. In this first video, I talk about basic design decisions that I made. In video #2 (tomorrow), I will talk about some features that turned out great and which I like a lot. And in video #3 (Friday), I will talk about things I’d change if I had it to do over again. Overall, though, I was very happy with the way this bathroom turned out. And the video, too. The video is not perfect – but it’s a start. And hey, my intern/director/editor John Gervasi and I did it all ourselves. The media empire grows. All that said, this is the first time we’ve tried this. So there’s some things to improve. Like, I gotta figure out how to add music… and there are a few mis-spokens. Like: that’s not a lav faucet, it’s an 8″ spread, etc. For example: Depending on your internet service, it might take some time to load the video. Let me know if there are any issues, and we’ll see what we need to do to make this all go smoothly … because I love doing videos, they are such a great tool to talk about design dilemmas and solutions. 🙂

1. Jan says:

P.S. You didn’t talk about the countertop on your vanity. Is it a particular laminate? (And how do you decide about how to treat the counter?)

2. Jan says:

Too funny – you must have changed it right when I was watching it – I wondered where the still went!

3. Tikimama says:

You are such a natural on camera – relaxed, well-spoken, and not irritating, over-the-top chirpy – just right!

Your bathroom is lovely. I, too, noticed that your shirt matches the towels – intentional??

As for a sidekick, I’m your girl! I could totally play Ethel to your Lucy, lol! 😀

4. Tikimama says:

I know next to nothing about making videos, but in response to your comment above about having misspoken, I have seen videos where they insert text at the moment you need to correct. It’s very helpful from a viewer’s point of view, but I don’t know how difficult it is to do. But I bet at least one of your readers does!

5. pam kueber says:

Thank you, Tikimama — yes, I chose the tee shirt to match the bathroom, and I like how it turned out. 🙂

6. pam kueber says:

Jan, the blue marbled laminate is from Wilsonart — it’s ID’d in my countertops section (Kitchens: Countertops). However, another reader wrote in to say it’s discontinued…still, it’s worth checking, maybe there is some stock left. I liked this laminate also in pink. When I installed it, I ordered glossy finish — to mimic the look of polished marble. I have some more laminate reco’s coming… the manufacturers are always coming out with more.

I will also say that, I realize I need to do a whole specification sheet for this bathroom, identifying everything I used. I’ll try to get that up soon…

7. pam kueber says:

Thanks for the tips, Lisa. You are are right on all counts. I realized when we were posting this that there were no long “establishing shots”… although, I think in the next two videos you see some more… And yes, John cut the fades too short… And yes, more makeup…. I think I actually did have lipstick on. but obviously it’s too light… I will say, that I know lighting is really important to getting the shot (and me) to look their best. That said, I don’t know how much energy I have to really worry about this. We’ll see. Thanks for the tips! Since you seem interested, I’ll go on to say that I think these videos are fundamentally better than other ones I’ve done including the TV appearances and etsy.com — because I tried to relax more when I spoke and just speak like a normal person. I’ve been confused by advice to both “project” and to “be natural.” It’s a balance, I guess. With the whole thing, I’m just going to aim for continuous improvement – getting good information out there — and having fun. Finally, I’m really amazed at the technology now at our fingertips to do this. I’m really hot to trot to do more videos — a fantastic medium of communication.

8. adam says:

AWSOME JOB !!!! Pam I love how your site nevers stops short of amazing me..I think you looked great on this flic. I only wish you were here in new orleans to help me save the mid mods i done 3 so far man its hard to convence the flippers to stop the maddness and bring back the good old vibes of the clasic home glad your here to help the world….

9. Jeanne says:

Love it! I can totally see a retro renovation time slot on HG TV. 😉 I love your bathroom floor (and everything else, of course). Can’t wait to see more!

10. Alice says:

Now, isn’t that funny that someone mentioned make-up to you because as I was watching the video I was thinking “I love that she presented herself naturally in this video”…because every time I look at this blog and see that beautiful photo of you with your hair perfectly smoothed back, and your perfect fitting cream dress, and your perfectly aligned bangles and your suave martini I feel so much like an underachiever! 🙂

I loved seeing you in a little more “down to earth setting” – including bare feet – because that’s how many of us are most of the time!

Loved the addition of video!

I like your geranium wallpaper with the soothing blue and white background.

Keep up the good work Pam, and be sure to remember us, the little retro-ren people when you become big and famous!

11. Jan says:

Your reader was right! All three of the marbled Wilsonart laminates you have on the kitchen countertop information – blue, pink and beige – have been discontinued! What were they thinking? We will just have to look for stock somewhere!

12. Frieda says:

Pam,

I just discovered you and I am already addicted! I love your bathroom renovation! You did a great job. I would like to know where you got the faucets for your sink. I am looking for some like them.

Thanks for such an amazing resource.