P

Pam’s Blue Bathroom: Things I’d Do Differently

Designing a bathroom is a tough job, because you must pack a lot of function into a small package. In this final video in my three-part series on my blue bathroom renovation, I spotlight several things that I woulda coulda shoulda done differently. That said, I’m very happy with the bathroom overall. I’m not one to have regrets. Note, the titles were not loaded into the end of this video, we discovered after uploading it via vimeo. So, argh, please ignore that woman at the end panning in and out. We’ll fix it sometime soon. Maybe.

Bathrooms are tough: See this followup: 84 costs to consider when remodeling your bathroom.

1. MCMeg says:

My house was built in 1959 and our bathroom light switch is outside the bathroom. There was no room for it inside the door. It works out fine.

I love your bathroom, Pam. It’s timeless.

2. Gavin Hastings says:

Bill- Originally they were pull-chain fixtures, which meant you really had to enter the room in the dark. Due to a built-in; the hall was really the only choice…but to me-it makes perfect sense.

3. S. R. says:

Our house had white tiles with white grout when we bought it, and both were filthy. I bought the best grout cleaner I have ever found at Ameritech Industries, but even better, they sell grout dye that is incredibly easy to use and works great. Our grout is now a dark gray, although I might have gone lighter (my husband would have gone even darker). They have many colors, so you can probably get that cement color you were thinking of (I don’t understand the differences in their dyes, but they are very responsive to questions–I just didn’t ask that one before I ordered). Two tips though: 1) They don’t take returns, so be sure of what you want when you order, and 2) Don’t buy their terribly overpriced knee pads–you can get the same for half the price at Amazon or Ebay. It turns out I didn’t need them at all, but I think my husband will find a use for them, the poor dear.

4. Marta says:

I’d definitely cover the switch and outlet plates with wallpaper. It’s easy, and makes them all but disappear. Make sure you measure width and height with a soft tape measure for accuracy, and add a half inch to both for wrapping around to the back, which keeps the paper from lifting with repeated cleaning. Miter the corners by cutting out a ‘V’ that stops about 7/16″ into the 1/2″ overlap. Don’t be tempted to do full 90 degree miters; it leaves the corners more vulnerable to lifting/tearing.

For the cleaning reason, instead of just cutting out the little rectangle for the switch, open it by laying the covered plate face down and cutting an ‘X’ about 1/16th” smaller than the rectangle so you can wrap the paper to the back. Same for the outlet holes, but those you can trim some off the ‘X’ points before wrapping if you want. Always use a fresh, clean blade for cutting, as wet wallpaper tears easily.

To match the paper on cover and wall as close as possible, look at where the center point of the top edge of the installed uncovered plate hits the wallpaper pattern. Find that same point on the paper for your plate cover. Your match point for the top cut line will be 1/2″ above it. I find it easiest to have a template the size I need cut from a piece of cereal box with the top center marked. I line that up to the match point, make sure it’s square, mark it, then cut it out.

5. Marta says:

Love the look of small tiles in bathrooms! I put 2″x2″ 40’s green tile on the floor in our main bath with a grey grout so dirt wouldn’t show. It’s been ten years, and it still looks great. But, I’ve since discovered a diy-friendly epoxy grout called SpectraLOCK that doesn’t stain and never needs sealing. We’re using it with hex-shaped tiles in a bath at my daughter’s 1880’s house, along with a new paint-on water/vibration barrier that’s eliminated some major sub-floor headaches.

The tile/grout combo is white on white, and she has two small boys and a new puppy the size of a bulldozer. I figure we’ll know within 6 months if that grout’s going to stay white:). Here’s the link to the company: http://www.laticrete.com/homeowners/products/grouts/stainproof.aspx

I did a lot of research on the product, and what I found was as long as you pay strict attention to the directions, the results are wonderful. They have some add-in products, too. You can make your grout glow in the dark, or glitter in the light. Wouldn’t glittery gold grout look great in an MCM bath that has white-with-gold thread/glitter laminate?

6. KM says:

You are absolutely right about the fiberglass shower pans- they are harder to keep clean. If I had it to do over again, I’d go enamel on cast Iron, too.

7. pam kueber says:

I use Lysol Basin Tub and Tile cleaner on mine — the spray bottle, not aerosol. I let it sit a long time then wipe it down. I sometimes have to do this a couple of times. I don’t do it every week, but I think that if I did it would be easier. If I do this…. the fiberglass comes out great.

8. pam kueber says:

Cool! Thanks. I also see they have a double-switch cover plate. I would also need that because I have multiple switches together… Hmmmmmm

9. Dena says:

I’m surprised WHITE outlet covers weren’t used, instead of the other color (whatever it is). I think that would look lots better. And those could still be changed!

10. Barbara says:

I’d really like to watch this video – is it still available? There’s only a blank spot where it should be, on the page.