42 vintage medicine cabinets from Miami-Carey circa 1955

1950s medicine cabinets from miama carey

Am I right: Were vintage medicine cabinets made in the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s and 1970s so much more interesting — not to mention, heavier-duty — than today? I recently picked up this catalog showcasing mid-century medicine cabinets, and I count 42 different variations. 42! Plus, check out the towel bars, soap dishes and other chromium, aka chrome-plated accessories. I scan, therefore I am, and I’ve scanned all 34 pages…

… (1) so that you can identify the medicine cabinets that may be in your home, (2) for your viewing pleasure and/or the hunt, and (3) for history’s sake. I’m not 100% positive, but I think, from the notation, that the brochure was published in late 1955.

miami carey bathroom accessoriesTips to view slide show: Click on the first thumbnail… it will enlarge… proceed to next slide via arrows below image… you can start/stop at any slide.

1. lynn says:

I have a vintage recessed medicine cabinet just like the one in the above picture that says Miami Carey. Anyone have any luck finding a replacement plastic cover for the flurescent light that is at the top? I am worn out trying to find one!!!

1. pam kueber says:

William, we do not sell anything here. Use our Search or categories – we have a story about where to find light covers.

2. Marlene Steck says:

I have a Miami Carey Duette model 2016 that is in need of repair. I don’t want to replace the cabinet as I love the vintage look, however, the “feet” at the bottom of the glass doors are sticking and loose so it’s very hard to open and close. Can these be replaced and if so, where would I get them?

3. Marlene Steck says:

The model number has nothing to do with the year. This medicine cabinet was installed when the house was built in the mid-60’s.

4. Trish says:

I just bought one of these on Marketplace, I think it’s a 2040. I had it laying on the floor doing some measurements and the door slammed shut on my hand, it felt like being caught in a car door. Of course that wouldn’t happen when it’s hanging on the wall but man is that thing heavy duty. I was going to touch up the inside with appliance paint but now I’m afraid of it till it’s mounted somewhere.

But it sure is pretty, can’t wait to get it up on the wall!

5. Stephanie Peditto says:

I have a Miami Carey Duette Plain Medicine Cabinet which I would like to replace. Can you tell me if this unit is replaceable? The dimensions are 30.5 X 21.5 X 4.5.
    Your help is appreciated.

1. Beth says:

Stephanie – That is the exact model I’m trying to replaces as well! If you’re ever successful in finding a replacement, please let me know! I’ll do the same.

Thanks.