vintage dinette chairs reupholsteredYes: Vintage dinette chairs can be reupholstered successfully. The seats of Laurie’s chair were in fine shape, but the original backs had seen better days. She found pink and gray marine-grade vinyl online and then, someone locally who reupholstered them for just a very reasonable price — including supplying and adding the upholstery tacks.
vintage dinette chair
Laurie’s dinette chair “before” reupholstering
Laurie writes:
Hi,
I actually took the chairs — just the backs —  to a fabric upholsteror in Rochester, N.Y. She did them for just $25 chair!!! They came out BEAUTIFUL! I ordered the material online myself and saved even more… It is marine grade vinyl and matched PERFECTLY!
Sincerely,
Laurie
Hey, $25 per chair sounds like a fantastic price to me.
I also have several stories on where to buy retro style vinyl and even real Naugahyde — these are all filed in my category –>Remodeling Basics / Furniture.

Categoriesfurniture
  1. Martha says:

Hi,
    I have a dinette set from the 50’s that is in great shape, but just a little dull, I’d like to shine it up a bit. Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance..
    Martha

2. vanessa says:

Where in Rochester?

Hi,
    I actually took the chairs — just the backs — to a fabric upholsteror in Rochester, N.Y. She did them for just $25 chair!!! They came out BEAUTIFUL! I ordered the material online myself and saved even more… It is marine grade vinyl and matched PERFECTLY!
    Sincerely,
    Laurie

3. Melody says:

Can anyone give me advice on repairing the frames themselves? We have a georgeous dinette set, but the metal frame is breaking and they are unusable at the moment. Thanks!

4. Lynn-O-Matic says:

Wow, great job on the grey and pink chairs. How fab are those? Love the video, too!

Does anyone have any tips on repairing vinyl upholstery? I have some very cool dinette chairs. One has a torn seat bottom but everything else is perfect, so I don’t want to redo them. I just want to fix the seat with something better than duct tape!

1. Kersten says:

I’ve always wondered if anyone has any experience with those vinyl repair kits that you see in infomercials!

5. MCM is Grand says:

Another timely post! I have a set in the garage…any advice on how best to remove the rust from the legs?

1. vintage_vantage says:

From one vintage fan to another, this is just like restoring vintage vehicles. When things are chrome plated, they are, in theory, sealed. However, if you see rust on anything that is chrome, it is because the “seal” of chrome has already been penetrated. The best you can do is re-chrome or SOS pad the crud out of it and seal it with a bit of wax. Keeping it away from more water is also key. I did that to my set four years ago and have not seen a speck of rust since.

2. Wendy says:

I have a few chrome dinette sets and I used crumpled up alumminum foil. It gets the rsut off and covers discoloration. Works great!

3. Chrisdy says:

Super fine steel wool (0000 – that’s four zeros) works wonders and then you can seal it with wax – like the kind used on car chrome or bicycle chrome.

Comments are closed.