U

Unusual plastic window shades in 1961 midcentury modern bathroom

retro plastic window shadesThese vintage plastic window shades, which seem to be original to Todd’s 1961 house — are fabulous. They appear to be basket-weave plastic, on a track like a shower door, but accordian-style. I’ve never seen them before. Does anyone else have them? Does anyone know about them? Yum. Todd writes:

Does anyone know where I can get these types of plastic shades? Our house was built in 1961, its a mid century modern, and only 3 windows left have these as the previous owners junked all the rest (as we found pieces of them here and there in the back yard).

1. Lesley says:

My parents made and sold Jayless in L.A. and Alaska in the early 60’s. I even learned how to do it. We made a set for Grams picture windows and even lamp shades. There were many colors and even some with metalic glitter. I still have a soft spot for the stuff.

2. Lesley says:

The company is long since gone I’m afraid. Someone bought it in the late 69’s and tried to revive it, but it disappears completely by 73.

3. Robert Corsini says:

Hi Lesley. I need to repair a couple sections that have broken pieces. I have plenty of replacements but I’m having trouble figuring out how to repair the top and or bottom accordion sections. Any advice?

4. Micki says:

I had these Jaylis draperies when I lived in my house and they were in almost every room and in many colors. If anyone knows where I can get them, please let me know. They are the easiest to clean and provide privacy while letting in the light.
    I’d get them again if only I could find them.
    Micki

5. Neil says:

I just bought two sections in the jade green at an estate sale here in San Francisco. And I got three sections of track with them. Don’t know what I’m going to do with them since I don’t have a midcentury house; probably sell them if I can find a taker.

6. Craig says:

I have found a original receipt from 1963. in my parents paper work for a Jaylis purchase for the house I grew up in.
    Jaylis center, Howard E. Nelson Co. 324 N. Citrus Covina California

7. pam kueber says:

UPDATE: I am closing the comments on this story, as basically what we keep getting is people trying to buy and sell on this comment thread. I really don’t want buying and selling via these comments, or it becomes chaos. Folks, I would recommend that if you have these to sell: Post them to craigslist or ebay. Buyers: Look there. Good luck, all!

Comments are closed.