K

Kitchen flooring with retro appeal: Azrock VL-130 Classic Blue Gray vinyl tile

We are not accustomed, I think, to seeing vinyl tile kitchen floors that *read* dark and streaky and complex. For example, there were a number of comments about the floor in the fantastic 1956 Tennessee time capsule kitchen (at right) — readers were kind of startled at the drama in that floor. I’ve been looking at vintage interiors for so long, though, that my *startled* almost immediately turns to *luv,* because I like to be shaken out of what is customary and accepted today. In this same vein, I love the floors that Brian and Keri chose for their retro kitchen update:

Azrock VL-130 vinyl composite tiles in classic blue gray.

The rest of the kitchen is so… graphic. This floor works, just like the vintage resilient tiles in the time capsule kitchen. That Brian and Keri — who both work in the visual arts — have a good eye — as they should!

Azrock VL is available in five colors.  Note: I used Azrock Cortina Autumn Haze in my kitchen.)

Green
Blue-Gray — the color that Brian and Keri used
Tan
White
Gray

CategoriesFlooring
  1. stephenny says:

My husband and I really really want to install Signo from the Graphic collection of Marmoleum. Did you install it yourself and how did you finish the seams or did you skip this part? This is the only thing keeping us from buying sheet linoleum. I wish they made this collection available in tiles!

2. Terri says:

Very disappointed to read this! Just got the long-dormant kitchen refresh kickstarted. 🙁

3. Sherry says:

Searching for some 12 x 12 vinyl tiles to fill in my mid-century kitchen floor. They appear to be a streaky (gold colored) tile that was top-stamped with an embossed pebble-shape design. “Pebbles” range from 1/2″ to 3″ long. These tiles are thinner (1/16″) & more flexible stock than VCT, but the streaky flecky background is the same look as some common VCT. Can email a pic to your email. Any ideas on Sourcing either vintage or retro stock (I already looked thru the right-hand sources to no avail)? Thanks, Sherry

4. pam kueber says:

Sounds like old tile, likely that you can only find these vintage as far as I know.

Be sure to consult with a properly licensed professional to know what is in those tile and how to handle appropriately…

Note, all our research is at the top (in the blue navigation) – the stuff in the right hand sidebar is ads.

5. Glenn Whiting says:

Can you post some pics of your kitchen – we are considering a B&W Floor in our renovation…

Thanks

6. pam says:

don’t know if you will see this but if so please post pictures! We are thinking of doing our kitchen floor with this product and I would love to see how it looks!

7. Lori Gibson says:

Hi stablemable and other interested folks!
    I am a distributor rep for Tarkett Azrock products in KY. The vct shown: the “VL” series, was discontinued in 2012. The Mfg now only makes it available to corporate clients by the truckload. However, the Cortina Grande Collection is a fabulous option for mid-century interiors. May I also suggest the Azrock “Azterra” Vinyl Enhanced tile collection. It looks like terrazzo once installed and has a higher psi so it resists and recovers from indentation more easily!
    Ck it out on the Tarkett Commercial web site!