121 photos of readers’ thrifty vintage finds — keep your Uploads coming!

1960s morse supertone hi fiUpdate: Uploader closed. Come back every Friday to see what we share next. We’re a clan of incurable collectors, so I plan to feature an “upload your thrifty vintage finds” once a month as part of my new, regular Friday upload feature.

Today’s yard sale find: 1960’s Morse “Supertone” Hi-Fi console for the living room. clg1977 Melrose, MA

Now that it’s tag sale season, I bet you’re finding all kinds of treasures out there. Show ’em off! Upload your photos this weekend — it’s easy, here’s all you need to do:

• Tips to view slide show: Click on first image… it will enlarge and you can also read my captions… move forward or back via arrows below the photo… you can start or stop at any image:

1. Will says:

That is called a Hassock Fan. They still make them today, but the vintage models are far more awesome. I have 5 I’ve picked up over the years at different estate sales/thrift stores. I have one in each bedroom and two in the living room. They really help on these crazy hot days!

2. Will says:

Forgot to add, they made them from the 40s-now. That one is probably mid-60s. Just like a ceiling fan for the floor!

3. Dawn & Bill says:

Thanks for the fan info, Will! We just loved it when we saw it and I had not had the chance to do any research yet…

Hannah, sorry I duplicated my post to you…phone locked up during the first one so I didn’t realize it had even sent because the phone just shut down. 🙂

4. Will says:

Not a problem Dawn and Bill, glad to help. I might recomend oiling your fan with Zoom-spout motor oil to keep it lubricated. Your fan may or may not have oiling ports on the top (little hole about 2 milimeters in diameter or I’ve also seen a little funnel). If it does, put a couple of drops of zoom spout in the hole to help keep the friction down. As with any motor, you have to keep it lubricated to keep it functioning properly. If your fan does not have oiling ports, place a drop or two at the mouth right where the blade mount comes out of the motor. Depending on the last time (probably a while) this was done you’ll see a world of difference. I recomend doing this once a week for the first month (because again, it’s probably been a while), then about once a month or two after.

Also, I want to correct a mistake was made in my earlier post. Looks like the last new hassock fan (air king) was discontinued sometime around 2009. I couldn’t find anyone who is still making them today. 🙁 How horrible!

5. pam kueber says:

Will: You sound very knowledgeable so don’t take this the wrong way, BUT READERS: Consult with properly licensed professionals to ensure you know what you are doing with yer stuff.

6. Will says:

Valid point Pam, I’m sure the folks at vintagefans.com would be able to help out anyone with any questions they might have on retro stuff. I’ve consulted with professionals regarding my projects before I started them, but it’s always better to get it first hand. 🙂

7. hannah says:

Will – there’s a site that ‘talks’ to this site, where you upload your picture. I forget what it was, have to wait for Pam or someone with a better memory. 🙂

8. TappanTrailerTami says:

Hannah, the mirror is FAB! Even though the shipping hurt, it was a great buy and will look awesome over the sofa 🙂

9. Chzplz says:

The Willis & Co. stereo cabinet is mine. Made in a little town outside Montreal by a company better known for making pianos.

And it was plucked from the garbage in my 1960’s MCM neighbourhood. A little cleanup and it looks great! Hides all my modern stereo and computer equipment inside, and the remotes still work through the fabric covered speaker openings.

10. Jan says:

Well, shoot! How’d I miss the uploader on this! I got the coolest lamp and wanted to add a photo – guess I’ll wait till next time!