vintage-sewing-machine-brotherpams office remodelHunka hunka. Meet my new boyfriend: A Brother Charger 651 — Made in Japan, 35 pounds of serious vintage steel, in the most lovely shade of robin’s egg blue.  Actually, I have had this puppy for a while now. I bought it from Denise, who has a *thing* for saving vintage sewing machines, and had it tucked in the corner while I continued to work on setting up my work space in my big fat crazy crafty epic office remodel. The idea behind the remodel was to make my home office space more comfortable for working now that the blog is fulltime enterprise… but also to design it to accommodate my collage work. Did you know that you can sew on paper? That’s what I bought the vintage Brother for, although I might also try it to zig zag felted wool squares together into a blanked, like Crispina ffrench does. In my spare time.

Wanna see the new work triangle? Clicky through:

vintage brother charger 651 sewing machineThe sewing machine sits on a triangular Herman Miller office table that I bought at my Eco Building Bargains in Springfield, Mass. The table is on three legs with rollers. When I need to power up the vintage Brother to use it, it’s super easy to pull the table out so I can use its entire work space.

vintage brother sewing machineBack to the sewing machine: I need to find a manual.

You can see lots of photos from the rest of my office/art space here.  The entire room is just 10′ x 14′ — cozy — and easy to get my hands on everything. I am loving it! I still have more to do before the space is declared “done” — and mind you, I DO declare spaces “complete.” It’s getting close!

1. Donna says:

I just bought one of these machines this evening and no manual. Would love to have a copy if you still have. I’m so anxious to use it.

2. Donna says:

Hi, Just wondering if you ever got a copy of the manual. I bought one of these machines tonight at goodwill, but no manual.

3. Melanie says:

Manuals can be found for this, just type in model and brand, I have a Brother Charger 651 but the one I have and all the ones I’ve seen are pink and brown?

4. Becky Reilly says:

I’ve just recently reconditioned my Brother Charger 651 sewing machine. I had it in a sewing table but would now like it more portable. I’m wondering if anyone can direct me on where to find a foot pedal and carrying case for it? Thanks!

5. Dorit Pittman says:

Just got one of these in pink and brown (happy dance)
    How do I reposition the needle to center?
    What size is the motor belt?
    Thanks much!

6. Pam Kueber says:

Hi Dorit, I don’t know the answer to these questions. Alas, my machine’s been sitting unused a while!

7. Tommy says:

Just bought my first machine. It’s a brother Charger 651. I can’t get it to put thread on the bobbin. I desperately need HELP…

8. Pam Kueber says:

Hi, Tommy, I am not an expert. I just googled Brother Sewing Machines — they still are in business, perhaps they can help.

9. pam kueber says:

Note, I am closing comments on this thread as they are becoming redundant.

Note: Quite a few readers have left comments about where to look for manuals. Good luck, all!