N

NOS Caloric Caddie kitchen wrap dispenser — color designed by Beatrice West

caloric kitchen wrap dispenser

vintage caloric appliances
A reader purchased these and installed them in his kitchen. I need to go find the email and follow up.

Remember all the New Old Stock vintage Beatrice West color-designed Caloric appliances – in scrumptious pink that we spotted and featured in 2011? Well, that set looked “complete,” but, no it wasn’t — because here is a recessed kitchen wrap dispenser to go with. Yum. And like the full appliance set — which a reader found ON THE CURB waiting for the trash — this vintage Caloric Caddie kitchen wrap dispenser is NOS in its original packaging.

caloric caddie

Update: I found this reference — dating the introduction of this piece to 1963. The Caloric Caddie was given to homeowners free, as a premium with the purchase of any Caloric gas range.

The ebay listing says:

This is a vintage Caloric Caddie kitchen wrap dispenser made by Caloric Corporation, Topton, PA.USA

Model C-1
Light Pink color- second picture is the closest to the true color
Comes in original box- and was never used or mounted.
Cardboard still inserted in place on inside
Has installation instructions, how to use instructions
and the original hardware that came with it
The box is a little torn and after product is placed in the box I will have to tape it closed
Holds three rolls.
Dispense by using control knobs on front panel
Front panel is on hinges and opens to replace rolls
Each roller unit, with its control knob and easy to tear-off edge,
can be lifted out of the Caddie and used elsewhere.
Mounts:
External mounting ( on the wall) or
Recessed mounting ( into the wall)
It measures about 15″ wide X 10″ high X 3 1/2″ deep
Heavy duty construction- very sturdy
A fine example of how things used to be made
Awesome unit, you don’t see this kind very often
Would be a nice addition to your vintage kitchen
or trailer

Update: Sold quickly after I posted this story — for $225, Buy It Now.

vintage caloric

caloriccaloric kitchen wrap dispenservintage-caloric-dispensercaloric caddie

Over on Facebook, reader Peter commented that there are other Caloric Caddies to watch for:

I grew up in a house with all Caloric appliances. It had a Caloric Caddie in the wall that dispensed Kleenex and a roll of paper towels. It was great!! I was fortunate to get one when one of the neighbors was remodeling their kitchen. Caloric also made a Caddie that housed a phone and had a pull down ledge with a pad of paper in it.

Yum. I love wonderful oddities that are recessed. I need to watch for these other Caloric Caddies.

1. Joe says:

I’m assuming that I have a knack for anticipating collecting trends, because I spotted one of these NIB on Ebay last Fall. I ended up being the only bidder and got it for $12.00! I couldn’t be more happy with it, because it is Coppertone and matches my 1965 Hardwick Debutante hi-lo oven gas range. The Hardwick was purchased new by my late mom who actually had her heart set on buying a Caloric (it was considered THE last word in stoves); she ended up buying the Hardwick because, as she frequently stated “the Hardwick was built to really work hard – the Caloric was all style and no substance”. I plan to recess the Caddie into the wall when I complete the final stage of my kitchen facelift, which will end up looking like something from the late-60’s thru early-70’s. From reading the Caddie’s box, it is just amazing the color availability we once had for things; you had your choice of Coppertone, Pink, Turquoise, Yellow, Charcoal, White and Brushed Chrome!

1. Judy Hackier says:

I found a chrome dispenser at a neighbor’s yard sale. His mother gave it to him, He really liked it, but his wife said, “Not in my kitchen!” I bought it for $2.00!! To make the rolls fit, I cut slits on the ends, fan them out, and use them daily. I put plastic wrap in the “Paper” slot., I have a rule for myself. If I buy it, I use it! I have wonderful cooking utensils hanging around, which I use daily.

2. Scott says:

Just when you think you have seen everything. Audible gasp at the unit itself and another one that the hang-tag and paperwork are still there.

Did I say GASP? 🙂

3. Jim says:

I just found one of these in my grandmothers house, brand new still in the box with all of the paperwork. It is the Turquoise colored one. Please contact me if you are interested in it.

4. Justine Ungaro says:

We’re in the middle of a major kitchen reno right now & I was trying to figure out ways to store our foil & wraps & such. Stumbled onto this post & realized I had to have one. Quickie search on CL & was able to find NOS about 40 minutes away & just got back from picking it up. So, thank you! I’m so curious to see one installed in a kitchen.