S

Shambie’s 1964 pink tiled-in bathtub

vintage-pink-bathroomPink-bathrooms-saved-counter1024Reader Shambie has always loved pink bathrooms. So when she was house hunting and found her 1964 ranch with a pink tiled-in tub, it was love at first sight. Shambie says she found bathrooms like hers in other homes she toured in the area — this bathroom style was a trademark of a local builder at the time. It’s so interesting to see the signature features that so-called “merchant builders” in mid-century America put into their designs. But wait, there’s more quirky pretty in Shambie’s pink bathroom. Read on –>

Shambie writes:

shambiePam,

I grew up in Florida, with a pink bathroom with pink rose wallpaper. Is it weird that I can close my eyes and still see the rose pattern now that I’m a grandma?

My granddaughter LOVES the pink bathroom in my current home on the river (grew up on the ocean, but the you can have boats on the river).

vintage-pink-tubI hope these pictures do it justice. The tub is long enough to sit with your legs fully extended (and I’m almost 6′ tall!). The cabinets and tile counter are custom — they narrow at one end, and widen at the other. The drawers are cut on the angle.

retro-pink-bath-vanityThis bathroom was one of the major selling points for me, and apparently a trademark of one of the local builders in the area, as I saw this same tub in different colors in different houses during my search.

vintage-pink-toiletI wasn’t home that day, but my husband was when a woman showed up at the door and told him her father had the pink bathroom built just for her, and she wondered if we still had it. Apparently, she was thrilled, brought het husband in to see it, and took pictures.

I love it, and I know I’m home to stay every time I go in there. Thanks for saving the pink bathrooms,

Shambie

Shambie-and-barnacle
Shambie with Barnacle, who likes to steal the tub toys when no one is looking.

Shambie, your pink bathroom is gorgeous — so glowy. That angled vanity is so fun — and functional — and really adds interest to the space. It is fantastic that the love of pink bathrooms is continuing through the generations in your family. Thank you for sharing your bathroom and story with all of us!

CategoriesPink Bathrooms
  1. In the throes of planning a main bath remodel, wishing we didn’t have to keep to keep the old cruddy tub, but reluctant to replace the only tub with a shower…. Into the decision-making fog comes this amazing, totally authentic example! I’m so pumped to see this all-tile solution and I really think it could work for us! Thank you, Pam and especially Shambie, for sharing this!!!

2. Glenn says:

Hey, Shambie! I’ll have to show you my vintage pink and turquoise bathroom next time you’re in Roseland!

1. Shambie says:

Cool! I’ll be down this weekend! Where are you in Roseland?

And how did you know I have a place down there?

1. Shambie says:

Well, it’s a small world, of course, we’ve met. Your ‘garden’ seems to be happy with all the rain we gotten. People would REALLY freak if they saw the before and after shots of my bathroom THERE!

3. Kat says:

Now I’m wondering: since I can definitely tile, can I construct my very own pink tiled tub? Has anyone here tried such a thing?

1. JKM says:

The key to a tiled bathtub is waterproofing, waterproofing, waterproofing! You’ll have to have a watertight barrier under the tile to keep water from leaking out into the room, under walls, etc. It would have to constructed like a giant lined shower pan.

1. Shambie says:

I usually use an inflatable pillow in the bathtub. I can tell you that not having to bend your knees is awesome! Your legs don’t cramp, and you stay warm longer…

1. Jason says:

Yes, that would be nice as I’m tall too. So cool and very smart to add the shower – I’m so happy they could do that seamlessly for you!

4. Laticia says:

My best friend bought a 1961 home a few years ago. It had a baby blue bathtub made of tile. She tore it out (gasp) and put in a ceramic tub. I begged her not to take out the tile tub, but she wouldn’t listen. I thought it was a work of art, and beautiful.

5. Robin, NV says:

What a lovely shade of pink! Love all the matching pink accessories too – towel racks, TP holder, etc.

Regarding “merchant builders” – many of the houses in my neighborhood were built by the same man. According to my neighbor, who’s lived in his house since 1964, you just gave the guy whatever plans you wanted and he’d build it. You can generally tell his houses by the exterior brickwork. My husband works in Yerington and he recently met an older couple who said their house was built by the same man. He was very well known in rural Nevada in the 50s and 60s.

Pam and Kate – are you guys still helping out with design dilemmas? It seems like a long time since we’ve seen one.

1. pam kueber says:

These are still on our list, Robin. They tend to be very time consuming, so we have not done any lately.

1. Robin, NV says:

I totally understand – you guys work very hard to make this a great blog. So much useful information and interesting stories. But I always love the design dilemmas – fun to help out and great to see what others are dealing with.

6. Amy in Sacramento, CA says:

It’s gorgeous, Shambie! I’m glad this house has you to appreciate things like a pink bathroom. 😉 Congrats on finding such a gem!

7. Jay says:

Nice bathroom! Is that a built in planter next to the sink? Why of course, all those little bath toys look like cat toys, perfect for batting into the tub.

1. Shambie says:

Yep, that’s ONE of TWO planters that were in this bathroom. The other is between the mirror and the tub.

The original owner never had a shower in this bathroom. We put one in, because it just wasn’t practical not to have one. So then, we covered the planter with marble to keep it from filling with water and gross stuff when running the shower.

8. Aww! Barnacle is a cutie! What a great bathroom. I love that shade of pink and all of the interesting angles. And it looks like it has a built-in planter up top there? I’m glad she got her pink bathroom!

9. Janet in CT says:

Bravo! Beautiful bathroom! I love the angles and the pink towel bars and toilet paper holder. I can see why the lady had to come back to visit the bathroom! Was it in good shape or did you have to do repairs? Nice to know so many people are not tearing them out. Barnacle is beautiful too and I love his name!

1. Shambie says:

It was in surprisingly good shape! I changed the wall color from (surprise, PINK), because the menfolk refused to use the ‘girly’ bathroom. I re-painted the hanging light and replaced the rusty chain. A friend added two can lights above the sink for extra help primping, but otherwise, it is as built.

Barnacle shares the house with Squidley, Sushi and Sailor.

Comments are closed.